Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 1833 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
If not for that Simoncelli crash, this would have been Pedrosa's best chance for the title yet. He seems so susceptible to injury, either starting a season injured or going down during, always being compromised. This was the one season he started completely healthy and on a b!tchin bike.

I don't think he can catch Stoner who's 74 points ahead.

A lot can happen in half a season. If Stoner has to miss 2 or 3 races for some reason then Pedrosa could be back in the running. I'm not saying I think it'll happen, but anything's possible. Personally, I think Pedrosa is the greatest rider who'll never win a championship.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Two words...Randy Mamola. :)
My thought too .. but then I read this:

Here's a number Dani Pedrosa probably would prefer to ignore. He earned the dubious distinction last Sunday of becoming the winningest premier-class rider in GP history without a world title at the top level. Pedrosa earned his 14th MotoGP victory at Sachsenring, breaking a tie with American Randy Mamola and the Mad Roman, Max Biaggi.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2011/Jul/110721numbers.htm

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,264
My thought too .. but then I read this:

Here's a number Dani Pedrosa probably would prefer to ignore. He earned the dubious distinction last Sunday of becoming the winningest premier-class rider in GP history without a world title at the top level. Pedrosa earned his 14th MotoGP victory at Sachsenring, breaking a tie with American Randy Mamola and the Mad Roman, Max Biaggi.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2011/Jul/110721numbers.htm
Keep in mind though that there's a lot more GPs per year now. In Mamola's day it was 10-12/year, not 18.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Wow, B I G crash for Lorenzo at the end of FP3. Really bizarre, practice start after the session and as he went into turn five he had a massive highside. Apparently he had came out of the pits with only time for about a lap before the session ended so early guesses are a cold tire highside. After being on the ground for a bit he walked away (eventually) under his own power. Yet to be seen if he'll make QP, gotta be hurting...

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Wow, B I G crash for Lorenzo at the end of FP3. Really bizarre, practice start after the session and as he went into turn five he had a massive highside. Apparently he had came out of the pits with only time for about a lap before the session ended so early guesses are a cold tire highside. After being on the ground for a bit he walked away (eventually) under his own power. Yet to be seen if he'll make QP, gotta be hurting...

Painful looking ..

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Full qualifying times from the US MotoGP at Laguna Seca, round 10 of 18.

World champion Jorge Lorenzo was back on track after his huge morning highside.

1. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory Racing 1m 21.202s
2. Casey Stoner AUS Repsol Honda 1m 21.274s
3. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda 1m 21.385s
4. Ben Spies USA Yamaha Factory Racing 1m 21.578s
5. Marco Simoncelli ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini 1m 21.696s
6. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Repsol Honda 1m 21.731s
7. Valentino Rossi ITA Ducati Marlboro 1m 22.235s
8. Hector Barbera ESP Mapfre Aspar 1m 22.238s
9. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Marlboro 1m 22.271s
10. Cal Crutchlow GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1m 22.385s
11. Colin Edwards USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1m 22.520s
12. Alvaro Bautista ESP Rizla Suzuki 1m 22.669s
13. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing 1m 22.893s
14. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini 1m 22.937s
15. Randy de Puniet FRA Pramac Racing 1m 22.961s
16. Loris Capirossi ITA Pramac Racing 1m 23.876s
17. Toni Elias ESP LCR Honda 1m 24.156s
18. Ben Bostrom USA LCR Honda 1m 25.291s

Fastest practice time:
Casey Stoner AUS Repsol Honda 1m 21.806s (FP3)

2010 US Grand Prix (July 25):
Pole position:
Jorge Lorenzo ESP Fiat Yamaha 1m 20.978s
Fastest race lap:
Casey Stoner AUS Ducati 1m 21.376s

·
Registered
8,397 Posts

Whether you like him or not, you have to admit, Jorge Lorenzo is a tough Mofo to put it on pole after that crash ..

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
Whether you like him or not, you have to admit, Jorge Lorenzo is a tough Mofo to put it on pole after that crash ..
Wasn't it him also (or was it Dovi, or someone else?) who ran a race a few years back with two broken ankles. Started something like 14th and either won or finished on the podium.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts

·
Thumper Squad
3,279 Posts
I think they said his 'traction control' had not been activated.....Just a small oversight - insert sarcasm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think they said his 'traction control' had not been activated.....Just a small oversight - insert sarcasm.
Not a mechanic error. A Jorge error. After a practice start 'traction control' doesn't kick in until there has been a downshift, which he forgot to do.

Interesting to see how quickly he changed down on the practice after Qualy.

Still, he's a hard mo-fo.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Wow!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
US MotoGP, Laguna Seca - Race results

1. Casey Stoner AUS Repsol Honda 43m 52.145s
2. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory Racing 43m 57.779s
3. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda 44m 1.612s
4. Ben Spies USA Yamaha Factory Racing 44m 12.707s
5. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Repsol Honda 44m 13.030s
6. Valentino Rossi ITA Ducati Marlboro 44m 22.496s
7. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Marlboro 44m 23.176s
8. Colin Edwards USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 44m 37.647s
9. Hector Barbera ESP Mapfre Aspar 44m 43.694s
10. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini 45m 0.995s
11. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing 45m 1.277s
12. Loris Capirossi ITA Pramac Racing 45m 5.129s
13. Toni Elias ESP LCR Honda 44m 29.962s

DNF:
Alvaro Bautista ESP Rizla Suzuki
Ben Bostrom USA LCR Honda
Marco Simoncelli ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini
Cal Crutchlow GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Whats the deal with the pre race Ducati fun rides?,,... Is that Hayden?
Last I remember hearing, it was Randy Mamola. I didn't see them, but hope you are referring to the 2 seater they use to scare the sht out of celebrities and sweepstakes winners.

Congrats to Stoner, he road a brilliant race, hit is passes when he could then just disappeared.

Or...

Meh, what are you so happy about? You beat one guy still not completely fit after a broken collarbone, and another guy who almost broke his leg yesterday and couldn't even get off his bike in Park Ferme without assistance. Big deal. Don't go stealing any purses from old women on your way out.

;D

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Was it me or did Hayden look annoyed with Rossi who was apologizing to him in the garage after the race? This was on the BBC coverage, not sure if it was played everywhere.

1261 - 1280 of 1833 Posts