Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching something called "Birth of a Racer" on HD Theater a while ago. It's a 2 hour documentary type thing following Michael Czysz as he designs and builds a bike to compete in MotoGP.

Anyone here have any opinions on it? The documentary is not that recent, but I don't think I've seen "MotoCzysz" mentioned anywhere.

I think they even designed the engine, something totally new? It's like an inline 4, but they call it a "Z-line" because the cylinders aren't parallel. The bike broke down in every test session they did. I think they had 2 prototypes, each was like $1 million.

You can reserve one of 50 for a measely $100,000, with a 5% deposit.

Thoughts?

The bike:

The site (hard has hell to navigate)

http://www.motoczysz.com/main.php?area=home

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was watching something called "Birth of a Racer" on HD Theater a while ago. It's a 2 hour documentary type thing following Michael Czysz as he designs and builds a bike to compete in MotoGP.

Anyone here have any opinions on it? The documentary is not that recent, but I don't think I've seen "MotoCzysz" mentioned anywhere.

I think they even designed the engine, something totally new? It's like an inline 4, but they call it a "Z-line" because the cylinders aren't parallel. The bike broke down in every test session they did. I think they had 2 prototypes, each was like $1 million.

You can reserve one of 50 for a measely $100,000, with a 5% deposit.

Thoughts?

The bike:

The site (hard has hell to navigate)

http://www.motoczysz.com/main.php?area=home

I first heard about Mr. Czysz in Cycle World when they ran a huge article about his project (not the recent article but the one about 3 years ago). I thought the design was different, but not extravagant. I've seen a sevral R1's and R6's with a copy of his front end though.

I beleive there was an arguement on this forum a few years ago about his suspension vs. conventional. If i remember correctly it ran for several pages too. Just can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
at first glance, it definitely has the looks to compete in moto gp. i'm going to research some more and see if i can come up with anything else. i'd like to to find more info about the motor design.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
That's a few years old.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I read about this bike in cycleworld about two years ago...it's just an amazing idea of what a motorcycle can be, not to mention this guy basically invented the internal combustion engine all over again...it's just crazy

·
Registered
288 Posts
That one picture, of the shoulder pad? Tell me the got a SHOULDER down on pavement while cornering. That's nuts. Forget knee draggers, next up - shoulder draggers. Holy Balls.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
There's also scuffs on the back, side, hip....thinking he made an uh-oh at one point.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yea, my initial impression was - o, he just dumped. But the caption was worded in a way that made me think ... maybe he really DID get his elbow down in a turn :O.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
The not-quite-inline engine configuration is like the VW VR design "V-Reihe" (V-Row), so it's unusual but not necessarily innovative. IIRC, the crank is in line with the axis of motion, so there's some mechanical loss from the additional linkage required to turn the corner from the engine to the primary sprocket.

If nothing else, this project is an example of how hard it is to engineer "outside the box." I know it's possible to have a succesful revolutionaly innovation (Like John Cooper's rear end F1 cars) but a lot of very smart engineers, and a lot of expensive corporate money went into defining the parameters of that "box" whatever the racing class you're talking about. 98% of the time, the "box" works, which is why it's there.

Ducati, Suzuki and Honda all sat down with a clean sheet of paper for the current MotoGP rules and came up with very similar V4 solutions. Yamaha's I4 is different, but is still based on a very familiar engine configuration. I'm glad Michael Czysz has lots of money and has found an interesting way to spend (a lot) of it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I saw the bike in the pits out at Miller. It was pretty impressive to see it torn down, and it sounds great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts