Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motion Pro Mini Bleeder showed up in the mail yesterday!
I was very stoked, I have been eager to play with this new tool as it seems like a fun way to bleed your brakes.
Upon opening the package I was surprised how tiny it is. Being well aware this tool is intended to be small for tight space and to aide you in not over tightening the bleeder valve as well. Let me just say, don't make an expectation of how small it is, this really looks like a kids toy, very cute.

I bled my clutch system first, and to my surprise, a bit of the chrome paint chipped off the center section that is designed to allow the wrench to move freely when you are adjusting it on the socket. I was in a bit of shock, as this tool cost $31 shipped to your door. However, upon inspecting the chipped chrome appears it may have been a bit of excess paint as this thing is TINY I can imagine it was a pita painting this section of the tool. I can't see any visible damage as you would on an actual socket that just had the chrome chipped off(did this on a craftsman 15mm socket once, they look pretty ugly under all the fancy chrome).

Once I actually got the bleeder valve opened it worked fantastic, was a little tricky to position fully over the bleeder, as the stock bleeders are a bit tall. This entices a future purchase for speed bleeders that are quite a bit smaller than the factory bleeder valves. So keep in mind, the height of the stock bleeders will cause a little bit of fluid to leak, nothing major though.

Over all, if you like new tools and blowing cash, this is a fun toy to invest in to make your bleed jobs quiet a bit easier and more fun. I would definitely file this under luxury tools and not necessities.

Pic is slightly blurry, didn't notice this until I opened it up a few minutes ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
the tool looks awesome, and it can work with both clutch and brakes fine (not worried about the two fluids mixing in the tool?)

Also, forgive my ignorance but is there any "clutch fluid"? per se on the bike? I thought the clutch was submerged in oil, and basically shared oil with the engine therefore there isnt any fluid like in a manual car for example.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Over all, if you like new tools and blowing cash, this is a fun toy to invest in to make your bleed jobs quiet a bit easier and more fun. I would definitely file this under luxury tools and not necessities.

i saw that in one of the rags not too long ago and had that exact thought. its a great idea, but not really worth a spot in the tool box.

·
Registered
818 Posts
the tool looks awesome, and it can work with both clutch and brakes fine (not worried about the two fluids mixing in the tool?)

Also, forgive my ignorance but is there any "clutch fluid"? per se on the bike? I thought the clutch was submerged in oil, and basically shared oil with the engine therefore there isnt any fluid like in a manual car for example.
A wet clutch uses an (engine) oil bath for the clutch plates and basket.

"Clutch fluid" is typically DOT 3 or 4 hydraulic brake fluid, and is used on certain motorcycles which use a master cylinder, hydraulic lines and a slave cylinder to actuate the clutch release mechanism, rather that a cable system. The same thing is true on cars - some use cable-actuated clutches, while most use hydraulic actuation.

HTH

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since the question has been raised regarding the clutch/brake fluid I will chime in.

The SV1000 and SV1000S have a hydraulic clutch, both the clutch system and brake system call for DOT 4 fluid per Suzuki. I wouldn't doubt you could go up a notch and purchase DOT 5, but certainly don't want to go with DOT 3(due to manufacturer recommendation of DOT 4).

The clutch itself is a wet clutch submerged with the engine oil. The Hydraulic system is separate from this and pushes a push rod(correct me if I am wrong, probably has some specialty name) to engage/disengage the clutch.

So in short, YES, the clutch and brake fluid are the same. Switching between the two isn't an issue. Every Hydraulic clutch I have ever encountered uses brake fluid. So it should not be an issue regardless of vehicle.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Be careful, DOT 5 is NOT COMPATIBLE with DOT 3 and DOT 4. DOT 5 is silicone-based.
It is okay to use DOT 5.1 or 5.2 in DOT 3 or 4 systems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts