Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
217 miles is my new record! Put 4.22 gallons in it when I filled up (I think the tank only holds 4.2). This was almost entirely highway miles in full tuck cruising around 85-95mph. I also have taller than stock gearing.

Has anyone put more miles than that on a single tank of gas? I know a lot of you claim 60mpg but I have yet to get anywhere near that.

-josh

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd like to know how many miles we have left when the gas light comes on. Everytime I fill up I reset the trip and refill around 180m later.

·
Registered
397 Posts
read your owners manual!!! gas light comes on means you have:
0.9-1.0 gallons left (flashing gas light)
0.4 gallons left(Steady gas light)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hit 5000 miles on the odometer just this past few weeks. The last 2 gas tanks have yielded 45+ mpg minimum. Before those I was getting around 40mpg constantly. I don't know what changed, but it's nice to be getting back up near the 50mpg mark. I've been using Chevron Premium gas for every single tank since I've owned my bike (I bought it with 500 miles on it).

Is 45 ~ 50 mpg about right? I'm thinking of switching to 'regular' gas for a few tanks to see if there's any difference. With gas prices so high I wouldn't mind saving a few cents per gallon for a while (plus I'm poor, heh).

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
217! That's pretty damn good. What kind of riding was it? Mostly highway, backroads, surface streets with a lot of stopping? How much engine braking do you do? I've been experimenting with that and have managed to get an extra 30-40 miles out of a tank by not engine braking. I wonder if anyone else has tried that?

My best so far is about 187 miles. Its not totally empty, but well after the reserve light comes on steady.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
209, then she went dead. Then I started pushing.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I just started to try being much more fuel effiecient. So I even get into full tuck in parking lots. Last night I filled up at 190 miles and put 4.0 gallons in. I think with my new method of riding (and I'll try less engine braking) I can get over 200 each time shortly after the fuel light comes on.

Landshark said:
I hit 5000 miles on the odometer just this past few weeks. The last 2 gas tanks have yielded 45+ mpg minimum. Before those I was getting around 40mpg constantly. I don't know what changed, but it's nice to be getting back up near the 50mpg mark. I've been using Chevron Premium gas for every single tank since I've owned my bike (I bought it with 500 miles on it).

Is 45 ~ 50 mpg about right? I'm thinking of switching to 'regular' gas for a few tanks to see if there's any difference. With gas prices so high I wouldn't mind saving a few cents per gallon for a while (plus I'm poor, heh).
Landshark, it would be good to run some searches here and read up on the threads about octane vs. SV. The general consensus is that anything higher than 87 octane on a stock (or close to stock) SV is a waste. Truly, it can hurt performance. Eventually, it can even decrease your fuel efficiency. 45-50 MPG sounds fine. As you'll notice, there are some of us getting over 50MPG. I even ride aggressive frequently, but not all the time.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Here are my gas records for my 2nd generation SV. As far as the earlier comments about the fuel light flashing, I'm assuming this is on a 1st gen because the 2nd gen's fuel lights don't flash. If it's border line coming on the light may be on for a minute or two then off but a few miles down the road it's on to stay until you fill up. I'm betting I could get 250 if I pushed it.

2004 Suzuki SV650 (non S version)

Date         Station      Octane   $ Per Gal.   Gallons   Cost      Mileage   Trip        MPG
08/06/05   Shell         91          $2.719       3.243    $8.82     877.0      0.0        51.818
08/11/05   Shell         87          $2.669       3.796    $10.13   1074.0    196.7     52.901
08/25/05   Shell         87          $2.709       3.671    $9.94     1268.0    194.2     53.299
09/02/05   Sams Club  87         $2.879       3.825    $11.01   1473.0    205.2

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I thought 1st gens didn't have a fuel light. By "flashing," I think everyone is referring to the fact that the fuel light may only come on when in a long turn or on a hilll or idling while on the side-stand.

·
Registered
745 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
I thought 1st gens didn't have a fuel light. By "flashing," I think everyone is referring to the fact that the fuel light may only come on when in a long turn or on a hilll or idling while on the side-stand.
1ST gens have a fuel light. It flashes (blinks) when you start to get low. When you get really low on fuel, it stays on. That's when you better be findind a station. I have personally never let mine make it to the staying on phase. Mine starts flashing around 120 miles, then I fill up.  ;D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Using my average 52.673 miles per gallon, theoretically I should have a range of 237.029 with my 4.5 gallon tank. So I guess an optimistic 250 would be very hard to achieve. I'm going to try to take it easy for the next few tanks and see what I can get. But I'm positive I can break 220 with little effort. On a side not a CA model would go 221.227 miles with their 4.2 gallon capacity using the same MPG average.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've never really pushed it yet to see how many miles miles I can go on a tank. I think the most I had was ~195, something like that, but I can't remember how much gas it took to fill up either. I average ~50 mpg. It all depends on how I ride/conditions. I've seen a low of 46 and a high of 56 mpg.

BTW, fuel light for my 2nd gen starts flashing with a little over a gallon left. Solid light comes on ~half gallon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
While on a trip with my wife through NY state two weeks ago she averaged on the 01 SV540 nekked between 52-54 mpg. We were travelling between 55-90 mph. (one or two 100 mph passes) The last tank was 190 miles and 3.55 to fill to the brim for a 53.53 mpg average. She rides in the 5-8k range on the tach and definitely uses engine breaking. Weight just may have a litttle to do with things b/c with me riding with an extra 45 lbs I loss about 7 miles to the gallon as compared to her best riding in an easy gas but quick style.

·
Registered
153 Posts
First of I have a 2nd gen. Sv. I average 40mpg. The most miles I ever got on a tank 200miles. Also my fuel light doesn't blink it just comes on. From testing it out, (running out of gas) when the light comes on I have 1gallon left.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about running out of fuel on a FI bike is bad. I was talking with a guy who said you can do it and get away with it but he has seen the fuel pumps that pressurize the FI system burn out due to the electrical engine not having resistance that they normally have when the are pumping the fuel.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I'm not quite willing to test it to the extent of Mrwoo... I don't really care to push, and I don't have the pit crew Stranger has :'(

Anyhow, My light usually starts blinking at 150-165 miles, and it usually take 3-3.3 gallons to top it off. The furthest I've pushed it was 180 miles, about ten into steady light territory.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I ride a first gen, they must get way worse gas milage as second gens.

I get about 125 miles before my light blinks (california tank, so its smaller)

But I took a trip to Tahoe this weekend, mostly all freeway driving at 70-85mph. Right now I have about 155 miles on the tank, and my light is still not on.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts