Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
out of curiousity, has anybody ever put an sv-1000 swingarm on a 1st-gen 650?

i see a lot of stuff about r6/r1 and gsxr swingarms, but it seems that an sv1k swingarm would (theoretically) be a moderately simple swap, with a lot of the features people want on the aftermarket units.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
my only question is why? if you looking to do a 180 on the back its easier and cheaper to get an f3 wheel. usually trying to swap any swing arm results in lots of machining which means lots of money.

·
Registered
514 Posts
B.a. said:
my only question is why? if you looking to do a 180 on the back its easier and cheaper to get an f3 wheel. usually trying to swap any swing arm results in lots of machining which means lots of money.
F3 wheel is a 5" GSXR is a 5.5"

F3 wheel is black and has 6 spokes.

GSXR wheel would match my front.

I could come up with more reasons.....

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
{PMS}fishy said:
F3 wheel is a 5" GSXR is a 5.5"

F3 wheel is black and has 6 spokes.

GSXR wheel would match my front.

I could come up with more reasons.....
gsx-r wheels can be mounted to the sv swing arm as well though just more work. but still less work than mounting a new swing arm.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Maybe we should fit up a GSXR swingarm on an SV to see what it takes..... hmmmmm :-\

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
DucOwner said:
Maybe we should fit up a GSXR swingarm on an SV to see what it takes..... hmmmmm :-\
you should make a kit to fit a sssa on an sv with little work i think that be a better idea ;D

·
Registered
514 Posts
DucOwner said:
Might be better.

Plus that way if/when you roach your GSXR wheel, you don't need to modify another. Just bolt it right on.

Swingarms seems to be a dime a dozen on ebay.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
{PMS}fishy said:
Swingarms seems to be a dime a dozen on ebay.
thats what i love about the sport of stunting lots of cheap parts ;D

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I picked up a SRAD swingarm a while back (600 I think) and it's distressingly close to a perfect fit, while not actually fitting. Length is equivalent (arm is marginally shorter but the adjustment range is greater), the width and bearing at the frame end are the same, chain offset could be sorted out fairly easily, linkage is different but I suspect not too hard to modify...

But the SV's offset shock would go right through the middle of one of the arms :( I don't htink it would have looked right in the SV anyway, but it was still disappointing. The OldSkoolSuzuki boys reckon an RGV Banana swingarm would be a close match though...

Me, I'm getting a custom build if I ever go down that road. I've got plans :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Northy is right, it is closer than I thought it'd be. Looks like I'll have to make a place for the pipe! but with a few mods it should work!

·
Registered
606 Posts
We started on the GSXR swingarm install today with a Gen2. We mocked up '03 GSXR1k and '05 GSXR600 swingarms.

Both will require exactly the same mods to work, this is good for us. In a couple weeks or so we'll have the first one mounted up and see how it works out.

Could be a very bling mod! We'll make sure it's light, clean and trick as hell.

Since it is so stiff it may have chassis, handling and/or suspension effects. We don't pretend to know what effect it will have at this point. Testing is required and we will do it as soon as practical. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
200 Posts
B.a. said:
you should make a kit to fit a sssa on an sv with little work i think that be a better idea  ;D
SSSA are not cheap. period. YOu can do a VFR on a CBR900RR, GSXR, R1....The CBR is the easiest. However, to fit any OEM sssa on an SV, IMO you might as well call Metachex in England ( or this guy deals direct with them---www.streetfighterbydesign.com) and have them build you an arm. It will cost around $2500ish, but by the time you by a VFR arm, machine work, labor, cusotm, custom, custom you might as well get one built 8)

·
Registered
200 Posts
DucOwner said:
We started on the GSXR swingarm install today with a Gen2. We mocked up '03 GSXR1k and '05 GSXR600 swingarms.

Both will require exactly the same mods to work, this is good for us.  In a couple weeks or so we'll have the first one mounted up and see how it works out. 

Could be a very bling mod! We'll make sure it's light, clean and trick as hell.

Since it is so stiff it may have chassis, handling and/or suspension effects. We don't pretend to know what effect it will have at this point. Testing is required and we will do it as soon as practical.  Stay tuned...   
Since this is a new venture, would you weigh the stock arm vs. GSXR arms.
This way we can eliminate the hearsay on weight. I am curious. It would look sweet, but performance over BLING

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Or Speedfab, also in the UK, will build you one for £250UK plus parts, from a Triumph or VFR750 arm and wheek. That's around $500. Last time I looked with Metmachex you get the arm alone for your price, soy uo still need to source a hub and wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I've pretty much came to the conclusion the swingarm is really a sore point (visually speaking, not performance) for the SV in my eyes. I'd whore myself out to fat chicks to get money for a gix swing arm from svraceshop, please, do it, please....

·
Registered
606 Posts
I did a side by side weight comparison last night, the GSXR swingarm isn't much different than the SV. I'll drag out the accurate weight reduction scales and see how the numbers turn out tomorrow (we still haven't unpacked and set up everything from our move). If the GSXR swingarm is heavier or lighter than the SV arm it won't be by very much. ;)

I'm going make all the conversion parts out of lighter materials regardless to make this a performance upgrade. We'll have to do some machine work to adapt the off set SV shock linkage to the GSXR swingarm. That will reduce weight a little. This must be done to allow a place for the rear exhaust pipe.

With some special custom options it could be very light - alloy pivot, Ti axle, mini rear caliper, billet brake bracket, light disc rotor, alloy 520 kit, Marchesini's, Ti nuts bolts & hardware, Magnesium spacers & adjuster blocks, etc It could very well be significantly lighter, stronger and end up dripping with bling! :eek:

1 - 20 of 119 Posts