Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finished up my GSXR swap recently and immediately had speedo troubles...

In fact I have yet to get it to work properly. When I first put it together I used 4 magnets and a Hall Effect sensor in place and that made the speedo go nuts. I was reading around 115 for 35mph. Then I knocked out 2 magnets and the reading was the same. Then I added 8 magnets and now the needle is steady and the bike is reading exactly twice as high as it should (50 for 25, etc.). I really can't think of what would be causing this.

Anyone else had this problem? Suggestions?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
with the inconsistancies with the readings (8 magnets doesnt read 2x as fast as 4 magnets) I'd think something might be up with the wiring of the sensor or the sensor itself.

what is the sensor you're using? (p/n, mfg)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had a similar problem of the sensor reading double the actual when I had the sensor itself too close to the magnets. Once I got it a little farther away it worked perfectly. I used 4 magnets. I have no clue about how the OP wired it.

HTH

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I would bet you're using a 'geartooth' sensor, like most everyone uses, right? The geartooth sensors detect ferrous metals, but the magnets extend the distance you can mount the sensor from the triggers (the magnets). If you can, try moving the sensor further away from the magnets. If you can't move the sensor, try removing all the magnets, and see what happens. If you still get a reading, then you're sensing the buttons or some other metal as well as the magnets.

Or possibly, you might have some of the magnets mounted with the polarities reversed. Make sure the magnets are attracted to the sensor, and mount them in that orientation.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with the inconsistancies with the readings (8 magnets doesnt read 2x as fast as 4 magnets) I'd think something might be up with the wiring of the sensor or the sensor itself.

what is the sensor you're using? (p/n, mfg)
Digi-key cherry Hall Effect sensor P/N: 480-2021ND

Internals of the sensor are identical to the CH417ND sensor that was suggested except this one requires a 12v and the other can have variable inputs.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Digi-key cherry Hall Effect sensor P/N: 480-2021ND

Internals of the sensor are identical to the CH417ND sensor that was suggested except this one requires a 12v and the other can have variable inputs.
According to the tech sheet for the one you bought, it can operate on any voltage between 4.5v-24v, which is what you would want for the SV, seeing as how the voltage output of the stator varies with engine speed and draw.

How close do you have it mounted to the magnets, and where are they mounted? Pics would help.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm having the same problem with mine. I moved the sensor and the magnets 3 times now with no luck. There is no way to space them evenly on a radial front end so I don't know if that's my problem or not. The speedo constantly jumps around and will either read twice the speed or more or won't go over 45-50 mph no matter how fast the bike is going. I'm using 4 neo magnets and the cherry sensor on an 07. I read that someone with an 08 had to use 8 magnets so I may just need to add 4.

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
1) You need 4 & 4 only! Remove any additional magnets.
2) Make sure the polarity is the same direction on all 4.
3) adjust sensor position until you get the correct reading - with the neos you may be able to move to bigger spacing

·
Registered
744 Posts
Oi.

- All the magnets need to be attracted to the sensor.

- The sensor will pick up any ferrous metal. If it's placed too close to the rotor, it will pick up the rivots/buttons. Considering most GSXR rotors have 8 rivots, and your speedo is reading double, this is probably your problem.

- It doesn't matter if the magnets aren't evenly spaced, so long as the sensor has time to reset between magnets.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Success!!! Turns out the sensor was in fact too close and 4 magnets were all that was needed. Now it reads just as good as the stock one did with no needle shake or anything. Thanks to everyone who posted on here. Although it was kinda cool hitting 130 on the onramp.;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts