Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first race on my K6 SV650 on Monday, I was passing guys on the brakes and through corners but then they were passing me on the straights. Apart from fitting a full system and PC3 what other modifications can I do to unleash more power? I'm on the look out for a full system at the minute as I only have a Leo vince end can and link pipe.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Anything you do to mod the engine will only give you slight gains for a sh*t load of cash. contact Zoran at Twin Works Factory. He'll be able to give you a good idea of what can and can't be done.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
cam swap, chip, exhaust, hyabusa pistons, shaved head gasket, race gas...

how much money you got to throw at this thing? ;D

Weight can be a factor as well. Can you or the bike stand to go on a diet?

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
What are the modification limits in your organization / class?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Helpfull! I race in an SV650 only class. :rolleyes:
If you were getting passed on the straight on other SVs, chances are they either had a good deal of money in the engine or weighed a bit less than you/your bike.

The most power gain you can hope for without doing internal/head work is 7-10hp. That's with a full exhaust, decent air filter, and Power Commander.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cam swap, chip, exhaust, hyabusa pistons, shaved head gasket, race gas...

how much money you got to throw at this thing? ;D

Weight can be a factor as well. Can you or the bike stand to go on a diet?
Budget is pretty tight at the minute as I spent alot to get set up, bike, van ect. but I'm thinking what I could do over the winter months. I can go on a diet!

What are the modification limits in your organization / class?
No limits on mods, maximum capacity 650cc.

If you were getting passed on the straight on other SVs, chances are they either had a good deal of money in the engine or weighed a bit less than you/your bike.

The most power gain you can hope for without doing internal/head work is 7-10hp. That's with a full exhaust, decent air filter, and Power Commander.
I was talking to a couple of other guys who have raced a few years and they have engine work done, bikes putting out 86+ If I could get 7-10 with a full exhaust, decent air filter, and Power Commander I'd be happy for now, I thought the most I'd get with that set up is an extra 5hp. What exhaust, filter are you taking those figures from?

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Now - Full system, PCIII, BMC race filter, SV1000 snorkel

Later - headwork, cams, bored throttle bodies

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now - Full system, PCIII, BMC race filter, SV1000 snorkel

Later - headwork, cams, bored throttle bodies
I removed the snorkel and made the intake bigger, I also have the tank raised 20mm, this is a very common modification over here.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
The problem is really that the throttle bodies are eventually your hang up... cant get more air in.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
i'd try to shave some weight. that will make it easier to throw around too. as far as power adders and the motor of the sv, you're not gonna be able to get huge amounts of horsepower out of it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Even if you did get a lot more ponies you'd break the crank shaft which is the motors weak point. Unless..you can find a stronger crank and a lot of money.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'd probably just play with the gearing, the other guys might just be running a taller front and shorter rear sprocket, most of the 525 chain kits come with something slightly higher than stock gearing. That would take little off your acceleration but give you a little more straightaway speed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd probably just play with the gearing, the other guys might just be running a taller front and shorter rear sprocket, most of the 525 chain kits come with something slightly higher than stock gearing. That would take little off your acceleration but give you a little more straightaway speed.

Pretty sure everyone was running the same gearing 15 45 on a 520 chain.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Pretty sure everyone was running the same gearing 15 45 on a 520 chain.
What is your top speed on the straights? If you've got RPM to spare on top then drop your gearing down. I'd suggest also losing some weight on the wheels and chain/sprocket. But if you're short on cash just stick with gearing.

·
Registered
291 Posts
something simple would be shaved head gasket and cams from Web Cams and of course tuning. Wont be close to 86 but it'll give you a little more top end.

I hate getting passed on the straights that's why I'm getting a super sport bike.

·
Registered
443 Posts
No buy it wouldn't hurt. All that would do is possibly prolong the life of the crankshaft, especially if adding power.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts