Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering if anyone could please provide some advice for gaining more low-end power??? i am having difficult doing wheelies and i have heard that if i change up the configuration of the front/rear sprockets i could gain some more low end power??? any and all advice with this would be much appreciated! i am new at this so thanks in advance!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Before I tell you this, BE WARNED!!! Doing wheelies on a SV is hazardous to your engines health. The sv has oil starvation problems. If you loft the front wheel, you starve the engine of oil. Now, that being said, lower your front sprocket to 14 tooth and raise the rear to a 47. You won't have problems lofting the front anymore.

I think your problem might be technique though. I had no problems picking up the front with my stock setup.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Learn technique first, there is a man on this board you can clutch up 4th gear wheelies on a sv650. Granted most of us cant do that, but fact is it can be done with stock gearing. I changed to a much lower ratio and found wheelies super easy, but the bike buzzed too much on the highway so I went back to stock sprockets, and I can still do the same wheelies as before.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the input and obviously i have some work to do (any technique advice would be much appreciated!!!)...however, any thoughts on what a good ratio would be for the front/rear sprockets if i wanted to step it up a bit??? also, any thoughts on the chain length would be much appreciated! thanks again for all the help!!

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Simply dropping to a 14t up front is a significant change. Dont even need to play with the rear. You can still use the stock chain length if you just change to a 14t up front. As for technique, it should be simple to bring up the front with just power alone in 1st gear, and sometimes 2nd, just a matter of shutting the throttle for a split second around 5k rpm, and then opening it all the way. Althought it works, I recommend learning with the clutch. Its something you gotta play with, and practice. Keep most of your body weight towards the back of the bike, it'll help when doing both kinds of wheelies.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
First gear is the easiest to do wheelies in, get up to 15 mph, close the throttle so the front end dives and the just twist that throttle all the way. make sure you don't try to pull on the bars or clip ons and sit back in your seat. ;)

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
WeezerKDI said:
Before I tell you this, BE WARNED!!! Doing wheelies on a SV is hazardous to your engines health. The sv has oil starvation problems. If you loft the front wheel, you starve the engine of oil. Now, that being said, lower your front sprocket to 14 tooth and raise the rear to a 47. You won't have problems lofting the front anymore.

I think your problem might be technique though. I had no problems picking up the front with my stock setup.
14/47??? HOLY CRAP! If I had that I could loft my SV in 5th gear. 14/44 is all you really need to get er up in 3rd. But again, dont do wheelies... you'll kill your bike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You guys are talkin' about long extended wheelies, right. Not the 2 second lift-off form a light wheelie, right?

I get a kick out of just getting it up a few inches off the light. Is that a no-no too?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Owl said:
You guys are talkin' about long extended wheelies, right. Not the 2 second lift-off form a light wheelie, right?

I get a kick out of just getting it up a few inches off the light. Is that a no-no too?
Only when your sig says "Front wheel DOWN, FRONT WHEEL DOWN I SAY!"

;)

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Owl said:

Lofting the wheel or popping it up for a few seconds wont hurt it. The main concern is with the balance point wheelies and rocking them for a few blocks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My SV is still mechanically stock, I'm a fatass at way north of 250#, and without even tucking back on the seat, I can lift the front tire off the ground in first without even trying hard, and if I keep the throttle open when shifting to 2nd at relatively high RPMs, that front tire pops right off the ground. On my old Savage (half the power, half the torque, half the cylinders, same displacement, all the weight of an SV in a low-slung cruiser package), I could lift the front tire by sitting on the back seat and romping on the throttle.

I think you can wheelie a golf cart if you know how to handle the controls. :D 8) Isn't there a "how do I wheelie my bike like a squid" thread around here somewhere? :p Be careful, don't f up yourself or your SV!

·
Registered
51 Posts
DONT WHEELIE YOUR SV! Read my thread about a spun rod bearing. just above this thread on the 650 tech page, then decide if you want to learn wheelies. Wheelies are addicting, too addicting. I can wheelie anything i ride. People say that you can bounce the front wheel, by blipping the throttle, i tried to learn this way and it seems really sketchy to me, really easy to get off to one side or the other...BAD. I have also heard that you can clutch them up in 2nd gear, rolling about 20 and releasing the clutch at about 8000-9000. I have not been able to get this either, however it is possible because i have done it. The way I do them, the best way i have found is to be rolling first gear about 25-35 mph. I have found that 27 mph works really well. Drop the clutch at 8000, front floats up absolutly effortlesly, give or take depending on your weight. To take it a step further, the smoothest way I have found is to leave a stop, accelerate quickly, but not flored, as soon as your digi flashes 20, tap you clutch, very quickly all the way in then out. Floats right to the balance point, which you will learn is veryhigh on the sv.. I have some peeps tell me that the bike is nearly verticle, AMAZING! BE CAREFUL! remember Wheelies=$$$$

·
Registered
935 Posts
I find the problem with doing them in 2nd is if you dont get it up to the balance point in one shot its not gonna stay there and the bike dosent have enough power to pull through it. For example if you clutch it in 2nd and it comes up almost all the way, but not quite, your gonna run out of gear before you get to the balance point. Just my expierences.

BTW lofting it a few inches or a foot and all the way to the balance point are two different games.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have had the same experience. The bike's just barley lacking the torque, i bet with very slight regearing it would be able to pull through quite nicely. Of course there differetn games. I am referring toi the balance point however, where the bike is nearly vertical. Highway wheelies are sketch, fun as hell but not worth it, not on a sv that is. First gear works best, comes up fast though, very fast my friends say 'instantly".

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know, I know! ;) But, that's my problem.....I like it a little bit,.....but I'd rather it stayed down when I 'blast off" at a light....well, at least for now. :)

in other words.....yeah, you got me. :) haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts