Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I recently bought a 2005 SV s 650. I was wondering how I can get more housepower out of it. Adding a new exhaust or a new chip to the computer system?
Thanks
Juan

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Turbo. ;D I still intend to turbocharge an SV in the next year or so, when I get back to Austin.

Standard mods can be found here: http://www.svrider.com/tips/tips.htm
It includes standard exhaust and intake mods and PowerCommander.

You could also raise the compression and use Haybusa pistons (forged). Different cranks: check out TWF

·
Registered
332 Posts
First answer is: Take a track day, it will make far more difference to riding than any "hop-up" item.

Second answer is: Put on a full systems exhuast, power commander, woodcraft timing advance key, stage 2 cams, adjustable cam sprockets, 700cc piston kit, k&N air filter, tank spacers, etc, etc, etc.... I warn you though 700's don't hold together well.

Third answer is: A pipe, K&N, and Power Commander are decent, they'll clean up the throttle response but, the better bang for you buck on anything but straight line speed is education, eg: trackday.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Juan1016 said:
Hello Everyone,
I recently bought a 2005 SV s 650. I was wondering how I can get more housepower out of it. Adding a new exhaust or a new chip to the computer system?
Thanks
Juan
Oh wait! You said "HOUSEpower." I don't think you can get any more of that out of the SV... it's all tapped out ;D

LilBlue has a point about trackday/education. Is this your first bike? If so, trackday is a little beyond you right now. If you're ready for a trackday, then you can explore the wonders of an SV650 (even stock) on the track.

If this is your first bike, don't go to crazy on mods. My thoughts anyway.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just bought and want more HP? Not trying to be an ass, but maybe you should have bought a faster bike to begin with? There is some stuff you can do to get a minor increase, but that same money would have bought you a bike with more hp and better suspensino stock. I guess I just dont understand the whole buy a cheap bike/car and immediately drop a bunch of HP upgrades on it to make it more expensive yet slower than other stock vehicles.

Ride it, maybe do the suspension and be happy.

·
Registered
469 Posts
ls14ever said:
Just bought and want more HP? Not trying to be an ass, but maybe you should have bought a faster bike to begin with? There is some stuff you can do to get a minor increase, but that same money would have bought you a bike with more hp and better suspensino stock. I guess I just dont understand the whole buy a cheap bike/car and immediately drop a bunch of HP upgrades on it to make it more expensive yet slower than other stock vehicles.

I believe it's ricer logic. Same with buying an old civic and adding a 20psi+ turbo. ::)

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
ls14ever said:

Seems to me that most of us do that here: buy the bike and, shortly after, upgrade. I've kept mine stock because I have no money. To me, 8 more HP would be great. I'd still have an SV, too.

People buy Civics and turbocharge them because that's "their thing:" they'd like the Civic package with the aftermarket and online support with the "surprise" and fun factor of having a sleeper (sometimes) vehicle.

FYI - I'm still interested in turbocharging an SV. Not this one I think. I may buy another one to do it to.

Really, we'll just have to wait to hear back from this guy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh wait! You said "HOUSEpower."
But in the title he says "HOREspower".

Anyway, my SV is my first street bike and I find it to be plenty powerful for my needs. I could be wrong but, unless you are an excellent rider, I doubt you are riding the SV to it's full potential. Like others have stated, seat time and track days would be very beneficial. I plan on one sometime, but I know that I'm really not ready yet.

There are some easy tuning and handling changes that can be made that I'm sure you would be happy you've made. If you really want more power, that's fine with me too. I might someday too. ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ShaggyZ said:
Oh wait! You said "HOUSEpower." I don't think you can get any more of that out of the SV... it's all tapped out ;D

LilBlue has a point about trackday/education.  Is this your first bike? If so, trackday is a little beyond you right now. If you're ready for a trackday, then you can explore the wonders of an SV650 (even stock) on the track.

If this is your first bike, don't go to crazy on mods. My thoughts anyway.
Heh thats what I just saw I was going to suggest watching Monster House for ideas  ;D    

For 95% of motor vehicles it is much more cost effective to buy a more powerful vehicle to begin with then to 'mod' it.  The only real exceptions for cheap to mod vehicles are factory forced-induction ones, and even that can be a crapshoot.  Its pretty rare to buy a new bike and need more power right away anyway.  I still remember going to the track in my mustang days when some of the cobra guys had spent thousands just to hit times that some drivers were still beating with bone stock ones.   If you dont master the bike stock first, you will never know what the mods really do anyway... I wonder what post #2 is going to be  :p

Probably a sprocket change(just like a ring/pinion gear change in a hotrod) is likely the most bang for the buck  mod you can do, and doesnt even tax the engine at all.  Motorcycles are hard to extract tons more power because the competition in motor design is intense.   In that regard Supersports are the extremely hard to add any noticable power.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I still remember going to the track in my mustang days when some of the cobra guys had spent thousands just to hit times that some drivers were still beating with bone stock ones.
I know what you mean there. I have a 92 GT that has a few things done to it like a Trickflow intake, full exhaust, 4.30 gears, and lightened up a little. Besides the intake the motor is stock with 165,00 miles and on street slicks I consistantly run 13.0 to 13.2 @ 104mph in the 1/4mile. There's alot of people out there that throw money at there cars/bikes to end up running the same times.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ls14ever said:
I guess I just dont understand the whole buy a cheap bike/car and immediately drop a bunch of HP upgrades on it to make it more expensive yet slower than other stock vehicles.
Some people have the "It's not what you buy, it's what you BUILD" mentallity.

I personally would buy something that's got some potential, then bring it out with my own work. To me, if I just saw Vette run a low 12 second ET, and the car was stock, the who cares? Anybody with money can go out and buy a fast car. If I saw a honda or an older car run a low 12 second ET, and the car had a bunch of trick aftermarket parts, and the guy did a lot of the work himself, then that person instantly has more of my respect.

I myself plan on buying an old 71-73 Dodge Dart or a Scamp, and do a slant six turbo project. I have all of the stuff worked out... and it would be totally unique. 12 second LS1's are everywhere, how often do you see a 12 second slant six? Just my .02

Michael

·
Registered
398 Posts
WaRider said:
Some people have the "It's not what you buy, it's what you BUILD" mentallity.

I personally would buy something that's got some potential, then bring it out with my own work. To me, if I just saw Vette run a low 12 second ET, and the car was stock, the who cares? Anybody with money can go out and buy a fast car. If I saw a honda or an older car run a low 12 second ET, and the car had a bunch of trick aftermarket parts, and the guy did a lot of the work himself, then that person instantly has more of my respect.

I myself plan on buying an old 71-73 Dodge Dart or a Scamp, and do a slant six turbo project. I have all of the stuff worked out... and it would be totally unique. 12 second LS1's are everywhere, how often do you see a 12 second slant six? Just my .02

Michael
I guess I should clarify... Ive been there. I had a Subaru RS that I put almost $15k into. Turbo kit, stand alone ECU, suspenion, the works. It was a pretty cool car. Now looking back on it I realize how stupid it was to do it though. How much money I wasted on making that car fast when I could have just bought a fast stock car. If your objective is to have a car that runs 12's buying a honda civic isnt the cheapest/easiest/most reliable way to do it. Im more under standing of people who already have a car and end up spending a little at a time. Modding is insidious. But people who go out and buy a brand new vehicle and immediately say "lets throw thousand into it"... Well I've learned my lesson. I ended up with a mostly stock Corvette after that. Not only is it faster, it has resale value, cool factor to just about everyone, and no haunting reliability problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Point taken. I understand where you're coming from. My opinion (and we all know what those are like!) just differs.
It's okay, you can be wrong if you want to! ;D :p

Michael

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am with both of you. I respect when someone builds a car to be fast. Although if you are going to keep that car that is fine. If you plan to sell that car it is a waste. I am in that boat now. I spend a lot of money building a VW Passat. and now i can never get that money back out of it now that i want to sell it. So it is just up to you.

Back on topic i think that the SV has plenty of power for that matter. If all you want is horsepower then buy a Inline 4. The sv has many other features that i love besides insane acceleration. There is no point and taking a 6000 dollar bike and putting in 3000 and having a bike that is worth 4000 a year later. I have been there done that. but it is up to you.

Exhaust, Intake, and re mapp for more horsepower.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
cold air

it's free, requires no mods.

the denser air produceds a stronger explosion

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
RandyO said:
cold air

it's free, requires no mods.

the denser air produceds a stronger explosion
Where do we get the cold air? I want some. Also, if it's significantly colder, you'll need to rejet/remap. Too much extra oxygen creates a lean condition. Tuning is what will net you the bigger numbers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts