·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
man those seagulls have big beaks.

As always Mike, nice pics.

·
Registered
608 Posts
:iamwithstupid: That #2 Pelican looks an awful lot like a flying rat.

But you're the guy that works with the wildlife, if you say it's a Pelican, it's a Pelican. :)
You're just jealous you can't take shots like that :p

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
First problem is that I need a better camera.
Second problem is that I need more hours in the day to have the time to go and take spiffy pictures.
Third problem is that if I had the time to do this, my pictures wouldn't end up nearly as nice as Mike's. He's got a good eye for pictures.

.....I can take better pictures than the Mrs though. ;)

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a morning person, luckily, which allows me to get some shots that others might not.

Plus, like tomorrow, I'm getting up at 430, so I can be to CW by 530, and have a good 1 to 1.5 hours of shooting before work. :p Just saw some stuff the other morning that caught my eye, and this weekend looks pretty bad as far as weather.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
I'm a morning person, luckily, which allows me to get some shots that others might not.

Plus, like tomorrow, I'm getting up at 430, so I can be to CW by 530, and have a good 1 to 1.5 hours of shooting before work. :p Just saw some stuff the other morning that caught my eye, and this weekend looks pretty bad as far as weather.
Yeah, you're far more motivated than I. This morning I got out of bed with just enough time to grab a quick shower and gulp down some cereal before I had to leave for work. Tomorrow I don't have to work so I'll crawl out of bed around 10.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Pelicans Harold.... Pelicans.
Peli-what???
Dude, I'm from Toronto, Cana-aidia...we have seagulls, geese (lots of goos sh!t), pigeons and if you look at some portuguese and italian people's backyards, chickens.:p

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Just always expose for the sunny background and your fore ground show go dark.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Peli-what???
Dude, I'm from Toronto, Cana-aidia...we have seagulls, geese (lots of goos sh!t), pigeons and if you look at some portuguese and italian people's backyards, chickens.:p
Seriously? You've never seen a Pelican? :dontknow: They're the goofiest birds I think I've ever seen. Watching them try to land on something is like watching a special-needs handgliding student.

Just always expose for the sunny background and your fore ground show go dark.
Yup. Direct sunlight helped.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Seriously? You've never seen a Pelican? :dontknow: They're the goofiest birds I think I've ever seen. Watching them try to land on something is like watching a special-needs handgliding student.
dood, I am ashamed you did not pick up on my sarcastic comment up there...for shame man, for shame.:-X

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is a great shot. It looks like the bird is peering out to sea (even though he's looking into the camera)

Winner. Colors and contrast are extraordinary.
The best part is, there's very little post-processing that I did with these photos. I'm not big on post processing. I just don't like it. I guess I'm a purist or stubborn or something. If I can't get a good shot with the camera, and see something with my eye that looks cool, I don't want to "fake" it, so to speak.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
The best part is, there's very little post-processing that I did with these photos. I'm not big on post processing. I just don't like it. I guess I'm a purist or stubborn or something. If I can't get a good shot with the camera, and see something with my eye that looks cool, I don't want to "fake" it, so to speak.
I'm in the same boat... mostly. As I learn to use PhotoChop more, I'm beginning to see all the subtle ways to improve the image and better reflect what I saw before I snapped the shot. Still, I mostly only stick with RAW processing (WB, contrast, saturation, exposure, etc.).

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
IIRC, pelicans are considered to be among the more accomplished fliers. Watching them dive bomb for fishies is amazing.

Great shots, as always. I hope to start getting some decent photos with my Christmas present soon.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Your goofy-bird-o-meter is broke. The goofiest bird I have seen is a Laysan Albatross. In the air, they are sleek, elegant, almost majestic. On the ground they are like Don Knotts and a Crack Whore had a crazy flying kid. And they have no survival instincts. Zero. Zilch. None.

These aren't my pictures. Mine are at home and they were taken before digital.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts