Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a rear hugger on ebay...paid immediately...and dude tells me a few days later that it won't ship until 6 days after I've paid. Apparently there was a "delay in production" (so he was selling something that didn't exist?). I think to myself what did the auction say about when it would ship?. Go back and the auction says it will ship "within 5 days". Would be petty for me to b*tch about it.

Well, seller sends me a tracking number on day 6, but when checked, the item hadn't even been dropped off/picked up yet. Long story shorter, the hugger didn't actually ship until the 8th day after payment.

The item finally got here, luckily UPS does better business than this "store". Opened the box and I was pretty dissatisfied with the quality of the item. It was claimed to be "primed-ready to paint", and it was primed, but not ready to paint, holes weren't even drilled yet, there were deep scratches in the primer, and it looked like a single shot of primer (you could see light through the part).

So my dilemma: Do I leave negative feedback? Because I hate leaving negative feedback.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Your beef sounds legit. The shipping may be a little iffy, but if the quality of the product isn't there, then you have every right to leave negative feedback.

·
Registered
785 Posts
How much did it cost?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Contact the seller and see if they wanna make things right in any way. Always better to at least try that before jumping to negative feedback.

If the guy wants to be a jerk about it though.. THEN the feedback is probably your only recourse.

·
Registered
723 Posts
You got the part a few days late. Probably not a big deal, meaning a hugger doesn't keep you from using your bike.

The part needs finishing. You knew it would. How much more work does it need than you thouhgt it would? "Primed-ready to paint" frequently means ready to sand, spot putty, sand and prime some more. Kind of an industry standard for "you do the finish work yourself".

Sounds like you are disappointed that it didn't ship when it could have and then it is a little less that expected. If it is still a servicable part then you most likely got what you paid for. At least the guy was good enough to email you about the delay. Test mount the thing and then get it looking good with some paint and you will have a cool hugger on your bike and be happy.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My main beef is that they didn't have the part which they were advertising. I thought ebay was for selling things that you had, not advertising what you could have.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
shipping two days late is no big deal. I have retaliatory neg feedback from some ahole that didn't respond to my emails asking if something shipped. I thought he disappeared completely.

as far as the holes: it is best that they are not there as there are 5-6 different hole locations for 2nd gen bikes alone.

Anyway, you should ask to return the item before leaving neg feedback. Neurtal would be appropriate if you don't want to bother with that.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
My main beef is that they didn't have the part which they were advertising. I thought ebay was for selling things that you had, not advertising what you could have.
No offense but you must be new to ebay. The majority of the sellers on there selling new items never even handle the stuff they are selling. They come straight from a warehouse somewhere else.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the shipping thing. Happens all the time. A few days late isn't a big deal.
Scratches, however, is a big deal. Contact the seller, send some pictures to him, and see if he'll work something out. If this product was supposed to be "new" with no damage then that's what you should get.
I never leave negative feedback unless my issues with the product I bought has been brushed off by the seller and not fixed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Unless the item is grossly mis-advertised, there is no legitimate reason to leave neg feedback. Neutral at worst. Sounds like you had inflated expectations. Is this the one that was only $45 or something? What do you expect for that price?

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you're dissatisfied go ahead and leave negative feed back. Regular Ebay sellers definitely care about feedback. As an aside on ebay, I've had good and bad experiences. The worst was when I had a laptop arrive DOA (dead on arrival) and the seller would not admit to the possibility of this. UPS looked it over and concluded, correctly, that no shipping damage occurred. I ended up researching who the head of Ebay's "Safe Harbor" program was. This is basically their head attorney. I sent him an email explaining the situation. He called me personally in reply very quickly.

Ebay's attorney basically said Ebay cannot help in situations like these. The solution was for me to contact my credit card company who was extremely helpful. They immediately issued a charge back against the seller. After the charge back was issued I had to prove the laptop was dead by taking it to a laptop repair person for that brand of laptop and prove I sent it back to the seller within a few days.

So always pay with your credit card and use Paypal to protect your account number. I hope this help you Ebay users in the future.

Marc

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
screw e-bay. buy from your local merchants. it costs a few bucks more, but their store will be there when you need them in an emergency. e-bay will put them out of business, cost jobs, etc. most will match internet prices to get and keep your business.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm dealing with a similar situation on a wheel I bought 5 days ago. The seller is saying it will ship tomorrow, but it would have been here tomorrow if they'd shipped it the day after I paid :mad::mad::mad:

Sure I can leave neg feedback regarding promptness in shipping, but they can retaliate with neg too.

Either way, the price was okay at $134 (OEM is $450!) so I can't complain too much.

I say leave no feedback at all.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Coop said:
No offense but you must be new to ebay.
See, that's the problem...I am in no way new to ebay, I still remember/want the old ebay where it was one person selling to another person, no warehouse or "retail" involved.

locoblanco said:
screw e-bay. buy from your local merchants.
I always try to buy local, but this and many cases was one of those where the local merchant couldn't get what I wanted.

I think I've decided to not be petty about it. I just won't leave any feedback at all. It's not my place to ruin a man's reputation, and I'm willing to forgive and forget. But darn if I'm going to leave positive feedback, I'd feel as though I'm lying to other users.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts