Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a deal on a Monster 750 and was wondering what you guys thought...I know it's not an SV!
2001 with 11,200 miles.
Remus Exhaust.
It was laid down in a low speed incident which left scratches on the bar end, clutch lever, and tank.
Avon Azaros that look new.
Asking price is $3500

V

·
0 Posts
That sounds like a good deal but those eye-talian bikes are fussy and expensive to maintain. Gotta look at TCO (total cost of ownership).

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
go for it :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I own a Ducati Monster S4R, with the 4v 996 motor, and have owned a Monster 620.  I can tell you that owning a Ducati isn't as expensive as people make it out to sound.  Cost of ownwership is largely affected by how mechanically inclined you are and how many dealers are in your area.  The reason they get a bum rap is because the valve service interval is every 6000 miles.  Far more often than other bikes.  But neither of my bikes ever gave me a lick of trouble.  I use my current Monster as my daily driver, weekend back road burner, and take it to the track once a month.  So they aren't just for looking good in your garage.

Call some local shops and ask how much they charge for valve service.  It should tell you all you need to know about cost of ownership.  The rest of the service is the same as other bikes.  Oil change, brake pads, tires, chain.  Typical wearable items you have with any bike.  The valve service is the only thing you'd be likely to have a dealer do.  Lots of owners do their own valves.  People get scared because the desmo valvetrain is seen as a mystery.  Monster owners with more than 1 bike say the Monster valves are actually pretty easy to adjust.

As for the 750 you are looking at check the service record.  Becuase Ducati's have such a bad rep people document their service very well because they know when it comes time to sell the perspective buyer will want to see the service (read - valve adjustment) has been done every 6000 miles.  So check to see the owner has papers showing the service interval.  Also, and this might help with negotiations, since the bike has close to 12,000 miles the next service will be due soon.  The belts get changed at the 12,000 mile mark.  So it'll be due for valves and belts.  If they aren't done already get him to drop the price to cover it.

I'm not going to say owning a Ducati is cheap.  But it isn't the money pit people make it out to be.  And they are very reliable.  It all depends on how the owner took care of it.  Which is the same when buying any used motorcycle.

Check out www.ducatimonster.org  That is our version of SVRider for all things Monster.  There will 750 owners with info directly related to the 750 as well as a good price for a used one.

Incidentally, I just picked up an SV over the weekend.  Still have my Ducati.  The one area where it is expensive is the price tag.  I couldn't keep risking a $14,000 bike at the local trackdays.  So I picked up the SV for track duty.  I totally dig it....

·
Registered
500 Posts
I can tell you this, and I don't know the rider's skill levels, but me and a guy on SVs tore up 2 other Monster 750s at Deals Gap about 2 years ago. Those Ducs may not be as expenisve to own as people lead you to believe but they sure as hell are not as quick as people who have them would lead you to believe that I can tell you for sure first hand. I was thoroughly disappointed to tell you the truth. I see them as more poser bikes. Not nearly the bang for you buck as a SV hoever that is a good price for the one you are looking at. My buddy who has a dealer licesne and buys damaged or theft recovery bikes from insurance and bank autions had a 750 Monster as well and it really was not too quick nor did it run too well most of the time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Kevin said:
Those Ducs may not be as expenisve to own as people lead you to believe but they sure as hell are not as quick as people who have them would lead you to believe that I can tell you for sure first hand.
Well, it depends on the Monster. The 750, which is 2v air-cooled bike, only makes around 55hp. So comparing it to an SV isn't really an apples to apples comparison. The SV is liquid cooled and makes about 15 more horsepower. So if you want to compare the SV with a Monster the 800 would be a better match....motorwise that is.

As far as handling I saw a guy at a local trackday schooling people on a beat-to-crap GS 500. I dropped a guy an a Aprilia Mille with my 620 that made 60 hp....and I suck. So, handling is relative to the rider.

I love Ducatis, and have owned more than one, but I'll be the first to admit they aren't the be-all end-all. No bike is. The SV is a better bargain from a dollar standpoint that is for sure. One of the reasons I bought mine. But that doesn't make the Monster less of a bike.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I test rode a Monster S4R at a local dealership and its a very comfortable bike. Nowhere near as smooth as my SVS but its a nice bike. I'll tell you though I wouldn't want anything less than that 996 motor. Its pretty quick, not nearly as anemic as the 620 or 750 is. Then again its $13,500 new! Yikes!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kevin said:
Those Ducs may not be as expenisve to own as people lead you to believe but they sure as hell are not as quick as people who have them would lead you to believe that I can tell you for sure first hand. I was thoroughly disappointed to tell you the truth.
My intended use for this bike is a daily commuter

MikeB said:
I own a Ducati Monster S4R, with the 4v 996 motor, and have owned a Monster 620.
Thanks for the input Mike and I'm very jealous! :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts