Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys. I think a lot of people may be in the same boat i am. So im going to just ask. Hopefully no one minds. :)

I am a college student and i work enough to pay my bills. I dont have a huge amount of income, and i dont have much saved up. I am looking to mod my 01 SV650s. I am going to get a full street body from kg-cycles in the soon future. If there are some that may be better. Please inform me.

Onto my issue. Again, i do not have all that much money flowing out of my ears. So i was just wondering what are some mods that i should look at first? What are the mods that are most benificial and worth their price? What mods are cheap but will make a huge difference in the way my bike rides/looks?

I apprectiate the information and i request that if you tell me to do 'blank' mod you leave a link where i can get the item you are speaking of. Thank you for all the help and i applogize about the somwhat useless post to many, but extremely important to me.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Get a jet kit. You can find them fairly reasonable, Then...

desnorkle your air filter, then...

Find a cheap full system such as Vance and Hines. You can get a new one for about $300. That's about the cheapest one you can find. I ran one for about a year and a half. They sound kinda mettalic, but they get better with time.

Do the labor yourself and you'll have about $350 to $400 in all of this. Cheap mods, with extra power that you will actually be able to feel. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
A body kit is a huge waste of money IMO.

De-snorkle and jet kit will defly give you more power = ~$20 (jets) - $50 (jet kit)

Front springs and oil = ~$100
GSXR/636 shock = ~$60

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Zanos said:
I apprectiate the information and i request that if you tell me to do 'blank' mod you leave a link where i can get the item you are speaking of.

Here's a start. Please look through the tips and tricks section on the main site, as there is a mother lode of information, especially in the tips and tricks section. Also, don't be afraid to use the very capable search function for part numbers, how-to's, etc. for some of the mods listed...

Got gear? This should be your first priority mod. (Alright, off the soap box...)

Fork Springs:

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog

http://progressivesuspension.com/appmakeselect.asp

Frame sliders (a MUST HAVE):

http://www.motosliders.com/

R6 throttle tube/grip:

http://store.azmusa.com/r603thpiandg.html

GSXR/636 shock:

e-bay

TRE mod:

FREE-- search this site

HTH

[edit: I'm with donniej on the body kit being a waste of money, especially at this time. Way too much money for appearance only when that money can be better spent on mods that will actually increase performance and comfort...]

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
frame sliders, first mod, motosliders is having a labor day sale

rejet, don't bother with a jet kit, buy the jets individually, http://www.geocities.com/catpoopman/sv650_rejet.html

how much you weigh?? fork oil and possibly springs

636/GSXR shock

R6 throttle tube

and look in the for sale section for other parts/mods/group buys

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, I'll give you some different advice, drawing on my 40+ years on this planet.

Save your money.

The sv650 is a fine motorcycle just as it is stock. You need transportation, so use it for that.
Use money if necessary to properly maintain the bike and keep it running. Also, as already mentioned, make sure you have good safety gear.

You want to get in to the habit of spending a little less than you make, and stashing the rest. That way, when the unexpected occurs (and it will) you will be ready.

Off soap box ....  ;D

Best of luck to you
Mikemo

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
mikemo said:
Save your money.

What fun is that??? ;D

mikemo makes a very valid point: consider where you're at in life and what your bike is to you. Save the farkles and expensive ego projection for later when you can afford it after taking care of necessities...

N

·
0 Posts
First, SVRider.com tips section:

[url]http://www.svrider.com/tips/tips.htm[/url]

Mods for less than a C-note (+1 to those that said gear, training or maintenance first, BTW).

Re-jet, shim needles, $25. You don't need to buy a jet kit to get the same results, although the jet kits usually have adjustable needles which are nice to have but not essential.

Desnorkel, $0: (Re-jet required).

Better suspension set up, $0/$10/$100: For $0, set the sag correctly (you will probably need to scrouge up some sch 40 pipe to make new spacers). For $15, set dag and change out the fork oil to 15 or 20w. For $100, sag, oil and fork springs (+1 for Sonic. A great company, and also "one of us").

Of course there's more...

:)

R6 throttle tube, $10: quick turn throttle.

N

·
0 Posts
Also:

14T countershaft sprocket, $20: Quicker acceleration, but higher revs at cruise, very slight impact on fuel economy.

:)

A

·
0 Posts
thank you, but back to the topic, get some good tires, after riding the m1 and z6, i settle for the z6, m1 works great but i get only 3000 miles at the most out of it not sure how long the z6 are going to last but they feel great and are supposed to live longer than the m1 and are all the year around tires, has anyone had the z6 and got `em bold after how many miles ? and yes if you don`t have already get some good gear

one more since i got a 1. gen does it matter from which year the r6 throttle tube comes ?

thank you

i found this of the 04 r6, thats the right one ?
Part Number: 5SL-26240-01-00
Description: GRIP ASSY
Price: $7.16
Source: YAMAHA

A

·
0 Posts
A couple of points. Desnorkel only goes with full exhaust, IIRC. Quick turn throttle -- not worth it, even for $10. A new (young) rider doesn't need to make throttle control more difficult.

I'd agree with -- springs and fork oil, GSXR or 636 shock, DIY rejet.

I'd save $400 or $600 and go to track school. California Superbike travels.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If i go out and buy these mods. (That sound lovely by they way). Would i be able to do it on my own? I am not the smartest guy when it comes to cars/bikes. But im getting there. :)

Will these mods work on my '01?

If i make a cheap fender eliminater...How do i get flush turn signals or get the little ones that are mounted right inder the fender?

It is time for new tires anyway.. that i will get for sure...Are Pilot Powers good? I hear they are good to ride on... but will i get many miles out of them?

I think thats all the quick questions i had in responce to your mods and a few extra. Thanks for the replies and hopefully i will be getting some of this cheaper, yet awesome mods sometime soon. Thanks again.

·
Registered
744 Posts
First get sliders and safety gear.

There are several free mods you can do:

1. Restrictorectomy on your muffler - doesn't do anything for performance, but it sounds really good!

2. TRE mod - might do something, might not do anything, but it's free!

3. home made fender eliminator - takes a day, a hacksaw, and a lot of cursing, but it can some out pretty well.

4. flip your handlebar towers forward and rotate your bars back - a little more agressive riding position.

5. set front and rear sag - I'm not sure if this is technically a mod, but it'll let your crappy suspension work properly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just got done with a slew of mods, so maybe I can help out.

The suspension upgrades are relatively inexpensive and the difference (for me) was HUGE. You're looking at $79 for springs from Sonic and a few extra $ for 20wt oil. I got a ZX10R shock from ebay for $33. Not only does it look bling, but it works well and gives more adjustment than the stock shock.

I bought genuine Mikuni main jets for $2.50 each. Another $2 for the washers from RS, but I didn't use them. Desnorkeling is free, as is TRE, as is drilling slide holes. But that is probably too much for a stock exhaust. At any rate, my rejet cost net $5, thanks to the fine folks who showed up a Wacky's maintenance day. :D

Another nice upgrade is Pro Grips gel grips. $8 and much more comfy than stock.

I'm not really interested in the throttle mod upgrade. I'm a little green to be making my throttle more sensitive than it already is.

Beyond the safety stuff and any needed maintenance, I would do suspension first.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts