Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to these boards and am planning on modifying my 2005 SV650s this year. I have a few specific questions I need answered to get going:

1.) Im looking to get a lower fairing, rear seat cowl, gel seat, and a double bubble windshield. What is a good online source to get SV parts?

2.) Im also thinking about getting a full exhaust with a pcIII. Can someone give me an idea of what kind of performance gains I can expect? Also, to get that setup up and running, how much should I expect to pay?

Any advice would be welcome.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
enrico vespa said:
also, with whatever parts you decide on getting... don't rush to buy new, shop ebay, craigslist and this site to get stuff used at a decent price.
+1 ebay is full of steals i know all to well. ;D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips and advice all. I have searched ebay and craigslist, Im sure I will shop there when possible. Putting some money into the bike to improve the suspension and handling is certainly on the list.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
How much performance from a system, filter and PC3? Not very much. Certainly not very much for the price you'll pay for it all. Personally I'd say don't bother, unless you intend to do more tuning down the line- you don't get a huge amount of benefit from it. but it's neccesary for future work to do the job effectively. A slipon will posibly give you a couple of BHP (depending on make), and give you most of teh looks and sound, for a fraction of the price- and give you a real budget to play with for handling mods.

In terms of performance, a bike with a stock exhaust and, say, $700 spent on suspension will lap almost any track you can name faster than a bike with a full system etc and stock suspension.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
swatter555 said:
Putting some money into the bike to improve the suspension and handling is certainly on the list.
those should be at the top of your list.. you have no idea how much better suspension will increase the fun factor of the bike more than any other modification ;D

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Northwind said:
How much performance from a system, filter and PC3? Not very much. Certainly not very much for the price you'll pay for it all. Personally I'd say don't bother, unless you intend to do more tuning down the line- you don't get a huge amount of benefit from it. but it's neccesary for future work to do the job effectively. A slipon will posibly give you a couple of BHP (depending on make), and give you most of teh looks and sound, for a fraction of the price- and give you a real budget to play with for handling mods.

In terms of performance, a bike with a stock exhaust and, say, $700 spent on suspension will lap almost any track you can name faster than a bike with a full system etc and stock suspension.
yah but how fast is a bike with $700 worth of suspension and $1500 worth of engine mods ;D thats what i'm going for.

·
Registered
397 Posts
B.a. said:
yah but how fast is a bike with $700 worth of suspension and $1500 worth of engine mods   ;D   thats what i'm going for.
Pretty f***ing fast. 600s, eat my midrange.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
B.a. said:
yah but how fast is a bike with $700 worth of suspension and $1500 worth of engine mods   ;D   thats what i'm going for.
Just marginally faster than mine... Although mine will be held back by the pilot, to be fair ;D Still won't be as fast as the SV1000 you could have bought for hte same price as your bike plus the mods though ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Northwind said:
Just marginally faster than mine... Although mine will be held back by the pilot, to be fair  ;D Still won't be as fast as the SV1000 you could have bought for hte same price as your bike plus the mods though ;)
Hehehe

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Northwind said:
Just marginally faster than mine... Although mine will be held back by the pilot, to be fair  ;D Still won't be as fast as the SV1000 you could have bought for hte same price as your bike plus the mods though ;)
yah but i think the 1000 is a little slower in the turns.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Northwind said:
Obviously I just missed something   ??? ;D
SVR
Wet weight: 400lbs
Power: 80+ RWHP (SF dyno)
Rider weight: 125lbs
Gearing: 128mph

SV1K
Wet weight: 470+lbs
Power: 90+RWHP (SF dyno)
Gearing: 150-160 mph

I think the numbers speak for themselves.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
sv 1k is deffinetly faster in a straight line but a sv650 with lets say stiffer springs, emulators+15-20 wt. oil, a penske duouble clicker in the back. then add a full exhaust, pcIII, air filter TRE+TPS would destroy a sv1k on just about any race track.

all that is some where between $2000-2500. plus cost of a custom map. if you went with pod filters you'd prolly dyno at close to 80hp thats only 10 behind the sv1k and you'll be much lighter and more nimble.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Yup, but for that price you could buy a used SV thou and get with the upgrades too. (least, you could at UK pricing) Play fair ;) Or, you could take your $2500 of mods plus SV and buy a used Mille, or any of the various race reps, any one of which will dance on the grave of the aforementioned SV.

Not that I'd go and buy the Mille, I like messing with bikes too much- when I got the SV, I chose it because it left a hefty budget for mucking about with it. never regretted it for more than a few seconds at a time ;)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Northwind said:
Not that I'd go and buy the Mille, I like messing with bikes too much- when I got the SV, I chose it because it left a hefty budget for mucking about with it. never regretted it for more than a few seconds at a time ;)
like wise feeling. i plan to keep my sv till it pukes then drop the engine rebuild it stronger faster etc. and ride that till it pukes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts