Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running a GSXR damper on my bike for quite a while and while I think it works perfectly fine, I have always thought it would be cool if you could mount one of the newer electronically controlled GSXR dampers up to the SV and actually make use of it. So this thread is to document my attempt to make this work.

The idea is to use the stock speed sensor on the SV and feed it into an Arduino. The Arduino would calculate the appropriate level of damping based on the SV's speed and send a signal to the damper to open/close the valve. I am going to set it up to have 2 settings that the rider can choose between - either allow the damper to auto-adjust based off of speed or set it to a static damping rate (adjustable by some sort of dial/switch).

I picked up one of these:

Wired it up:

Wired up an extension to plug into the speed sensor. For now, it is just bare wires so I could read the voltage. Eventually this will feed into the Arduino.

Plugs in right in front of the airbox:

And here is a video showing some different levels of damping from 0% to 100%

There is still a lot left to do but it at least seems feasible at this point. Many thanks to Tee River for the help in getting going and answering my newb electronics questions.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tonight I added a little one turn potentiometer to my circuit (the blue box). This test is to duplicate what will eventually be one of the two selectable modes of the unit - manual damping control. The potentiometer can be turned one full rotation - all the way counterclockwise is 0% electronically assisted damping and fully clockwise is 100% damping.

I had the LED wired up before so I could (roughly) tell how much damping was being applied. The LED is completely lit at 100% damping and fades as you get closer to 0% at which time it shuts off.

Here is another terrible phone video of the action taken by my assistant (my 5 year old).

Here is my debug window which also shows some of what is going on. The PWM input is a value that represents how far the pot is turned (0 to 1023) and that gets translated into a percentage of PWM for the damper.

Once I get the speed sensor bench tested and a few more things checked out (per Tee River), I will try to rig up a crude container and get it on the bike.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just realize I have one lying around...

Where can I get that female plug? (Damper)

This is very cool...

Have me down for one please... To go. Thank you.

Subscribed!

:happy1:

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Thats pretty cool, i never knew they had such a thing.

Props to you for going to the length to adapt it to our bikes. once you have the board made up it wont be too bad plugging values for speed to dampening value.

·
Super Moderator
8,914 Posts
Hey nuke, I just saw this. Excellent job!!! :rock:

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have one of those, do you plan on making kits?? I'd be really interested. Great work!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle - I can't believe my iPhone can use a Motorcycle

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm hoping I can make some sort of kit available. I'm still pretty early in the testing phase and I am relying heavily on others to overcome my extreme lack of knowledge about electronics. I think the concept will definitely work and I'm hoping to have the breadboard wired up to the bike by this weekend to prove everything. If it does, I still need to come up with some sort of smaller packaging for everything. The Arduino Uno I'm using is pretty huge so at a minimum, I will need to go to an Arduino Mini or possibly a home brewed board and then figure out a good way to encapsulate everything and protect it from the environment.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
:thumbsup:

I also kinda wish I still had my k8 gsxr damper...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm hoping I can make some sort of kit available. I'm still pretty early in the testing phase and I am relying heavily on others to overcome my extreme lack of knowledge about electronics. I think the concept will definitely work and I'm hoping to have the breadboard wired up to the bike by this weekend to prove everything. If it does, I still need to come up with some sort of smaller packaging for everything. The Arduino Uno I'm using is pretty huge so at a minimum, I will need to go to an Arduino Mini or possibly a home brewed board and then figure out a good way to encapsulate everything and protect it from the environment.

I say this is the sickest MOD of the year on the SV.

Thanks for the R/D!!!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been pondering the final product somehwat. I think I am going to ditch the potentiometer and switch and go with 2 momentary buttons. Pressing them both simultaneously would switch between speed-matching mode and set damping. In set damping mode, pressing one momentary would increase damping and pressing the other would decrease damping. Maybe an LED or two to somehow signify the level of damping that is being set. I envisioned that the unit would be tucked in between the frame and air box on the S model and probably in the headlight bucket on the Ns. This would make it impossible to change the damping on the fly but that doesn't really seem important to me. If anything, you may tweak it a few times before you find the damping rate you like. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I have been pondering the final product somehwat. I think I am going to ditch the potentiometer and switch and go with 2 momentary buttons. Pressing them both simultaneously would switch between speed-matching mode and set damping. In set damping mode, pressing one momentary would increase damping and pressing the other would decrease damping. Maybe an LED or two to somehow signify the level of damping that is being set. I envisioned that the unit would be tucked in between the frame and air box on the S model and probably in the headlight bucket on the Ns. This would make it impossible to change the damping on the fly but that doesn't really seem important to me. If anything, you may tweak it a few times before you find the damping rate you like. Thoughts?
I like the idea! I been toying with the idea of buying an Ohlins steering damper or other brand so I would have an adjustable one but I would totally buy your kit and a GSXR electric damper! Keep it up!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Great work Nuc, I think you're on to something.

I must say, I'm a fan of your earlier potentiometer idea (similar to the digital one in the pic below) to allow for a user set damping resistance. With a simple separate toggle switch or the like to go back and forth between speed set and user set damping.

Easy of adjustability is key IMHO. I say this because I need to kick up the damping on my Scott's to almost lock when railing in corners. When I pit out of the track, I dial it down to allow me to maneuver around in the pit. Same might apply to street riders who drive downtown with traffic and then sail home on the HWY with a few choice on/off ramp leans. ;)

LEDs may not be needed if you have a radial dial with some notches and/or numbers. Might not look as trick but may simplify things on your end. I'm no expert, just throwing out a few thoughts. Best of luck! :rock:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts