Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer is doing my first 600 miles service. The amount is $100 (2 hours of labor) (15% rebate since I bought the bike from them, oh how thoughtful) + oil and a filter.

I went to Walmart and purchased Mobil-1 Full Synthetic 4 cycle oil for $7.99 a quart. Is it wise to use this on my 600 mile service? Should I use the OEM filter or buy a K&N or Mobil-1 filter?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
537 Posts
use dino oil on your next change not your initial break in change. full synth runs *too* clean and will not let your engine break in the way it should. after 1k mi. go ahead and use whatever you like.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I agree with waiting till the break in is done with before you switch to synthetic. As far as the first service I just past the 600 mile mark on my 05 SV650s and I changed the oil myself and went through the owners manual pages 4-4 & 7-4 which describes the checks that should be done. Save some $ and spend it one something for your bike!

·
Registered
485 Posts
+1
Put in on the shelf for the next change.
If anything go with a syntec blend.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
If all they are doing is changing the oil, 100 smackers is to much in my opinion. Take the time to learn your bike. it is a good way to find out how it works, find small problems before they are big ones. Use a standard 10-40 until the break in is done. then the Mobil 1 is a good choice.

I a have first hand story of an Formula Atlantic car doing 7 laps a Laguna with out any oil in the gear box with no damage. The oil was drained for a gear change and not refiled. The left over Mobil gear oil was all it had. Good stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Mobil 1 Synth sucks. Pure and simple. Worst shifting I've ever experienced by a LONG way.

I couldn't WAIT to get it out of my bike. Maybe I left it in for 500 miles - maybe. I went to Rotella T - and love it.

Either that or Honda GN4.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you really want to run synthetic oil after break-in, then  Delvac1/Mobil1 truck&suv(same oil, same mfg, just marketing) or Rotella syn. Dino oil, Delvac1300 super or Rotella.

·
Registered
899 Posts
+1 on the Rotella 15-40. Been using it and love it. Shifting seems smoother and the thicker viscosity oil is a plus for 100+ degree temp weather here in CA.

·
Registered
667 Posts
A lot of car manufacturers use synth right out of the crate. I have never read anything anywhere except peoples opinion on boards like this as to what the synth oil does that will harm a new motor. It just plain wont. Put whatever makes you feel good in there man, if you find you don't like the Mobile-1, try something new, but I wouldn't hesitate to throw it in there.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Straight from their website:

Myth: You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to a synthetic oil like Mobil 1.
Reality:

You can start using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology in new vehicles at any time, even in brand new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

* Aston Martin
* Bentley Amage and Bentley GT
* Cadillac CTS, XLR, SRX and STS
* Chevrolet Corvette
* Dodge Viper
* Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
* Mercedes SLR
* Mitsubishi EVO
* Pontiac GTO
* All Porsche vehicles

One of the myths that surrounds synthetic oils is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design the high-performance cars listed above, Mobil 1 can be used starting the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The 600 mile service is more then just an oil change. Look in the manual for what it entails. I paid $250 for mine, but you can do it yourself.

Oil wise...Just use whatever makes you comfortable. You would not have posted about the synthetic if you did not have doubts about it.

I have used Bel-Ray / Suzuki / Kawi / Rotella-T they all work. I only use the OEM filter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, looks like I am going to stick with a standard oil/filter change and use the synthetic with a K&N filter the next oil change.

I am taking the first service into the dealer. I really want to see how they do the service and what tools are needed. I am getting 15% off my first service which equates to $100 + oil/filter. Not a bad price considering I have seen some people on here pay double even triple that. I know the mojority of the work is checking things/tightening, adjusting lubing chain, ect.

Thanks all for chiming in.

·
Registered
476 Posts
you should do whatever you are comfortable with, but the initial service is fairly simple if you have the service manual, common metric tools, and maybe 3 or 4 uncommon metric tools (large allens, large sockets, etc.) not to say those 3 or 4 were hard to find or expensive, they just weren't part of my tool chest yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I hear ya, thats why I am only doing the first service at the dealer. My buddy works at a bike shop, so I will get the skinny on what toosl and where to buy them.

I am a part of a Veterans parade salute the Veterans here, and want the bike all nice and ready to this weekend coming up. 25,000 + riders.

·
Registered
231 Posts
ZMax650S said:
Well, looks like I am going to stick with a standard oil/filter change and use the synthetic with a K&N filter the next oil change.

I am taking the first service into the dealer.  I really want to see how they do the service and what tools are needed.  I am getting 15% off my first service which equates to $100 + oil/filter.  Not a bad price considering I have seen some people on here pay double even triple that.  I know the mojority of the work is checking things/tightening, adjusting lubing chain, ect. 

Thanks all for chiming in.
I believe you have made a wise decision. In addition the Dealer will have the 1st service documented in there records. 8)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I am not taking it to the stealership, instead a local bike shop that does maintanance. They are charging $65 for everything. Screw the rip off dealership!

·
Registered
597 Posts
ZMax650S said:
Well I am not taking it to the stealership, instead a local bike shop that does maintanance.  They are charging $65 for everything.  Screw the rip off dealership!
LoL ! But watch out, you might need that "stealership" for something later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts