Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since joining the GS500 forums after getting my fiancee's GS, I've met some pretty cool people and seen some really neat ideas. The coolest one I think that I have seen is the idea of a particular type of motorcycle doing a relay around a country.

I think that the fellas over in Australia have already completed a relay with GS's, and someone is trying to organize one here in the states, but it's getting a slow start since it appears that there are only a handful of people that are members of the forum that cover a small area of the U.S.

So that got me thinking about many people there are on SVrider that probably live all over the country making a relay around America extremely feasible. It would create a great opportunity to ride the road less taken and meet fellow SVer's from around the good old U.S.A.

So here's the main idea....

- Each rider will add a shape that covers the area that they are willing to travel to a Google map (you may need to create an account if you don't already have one) (http://goo.gl/maps/1eUPX)
- Riders will meet up at a reasonable location to exchange a baton and map that riders will sign and mark their route before handing it off to the next participant.
- Back roads should be taken to get to the meeting points, but highways can be taken if absolutely necessary.
- The length of a ride will be at the riders discretion, but the relay should include as many SVrider members as possible.
- As many pictures as possible should be taken the chronicle the journey of the relay package (map and baton)
- ONLY SV's are to carry the relay package
- THIS IS NOT A RACE!!!! It doesn't matter if it takes 2 years, a year, or 6 months. All that matters is that the baton and map eventually make it around the country!

There will be a relay package that will be passed between participants whenever meet ups occur. The package will include...
1) The SVrider Roaming Gnome!!!
2) A log book/notebook for everyone to sign and provide a brief description of their trip.
3) A detailed road map atlas for each rider to highlight the routes taken.

If folks are interested in such an idea and enough people add a coverage area to the map quickly, then there's no reason to think that the relay could be underway before the end of the year since we have a ton of year round riders. Once people add their areas, communication between participants as to when and where meeting places will be should start to fall into place.

Let me know what you all think, add your shape to the map (I've already added mine), and hopefully we can get this started sooner rather than later!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Re: SVrider.com Relay Around America!

Are you thinking of a "cover all the states" relay, or a "here to there" relay? Or some kind of combinations, like the connecting of the railroads? Is there any reason not to make it a combined SV/GS relay? Possibly having 4 (or more) batons to be able to cover more territory/involve more riders?

It's your idea, so feel free to toss out anything that doesn't fit.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The GS guys want it to be just GS's. I figured that there would be more than enough SV's to make a perimeter run around the country. I thought it would be neat to have it start at point A, go all the way around, then finish at point A (so just one baton).

if others would find visiting all 48 states more reasonable, then that would be cool too. everything is open for modification, so any input is more than welcome.

·
MOTORADOR
10,781 Posts

I'm in.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

This sounds fun. I can cover anywhere in Ontario or directly across the boarder in Michigan and New York.

·
Registered
443 Posts

I guess I'm out since I'm an SV-Hadder now... I really like this idea though. Can I steal it and try and organize a CBR1000RR version of this over on the Fireblade forum?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hey, I'm in Maine so I could represent this state, and I know of another SV owner close by that I could ask if he wanted to participate. 😄

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I guess I'm out since I'm an SV-Hadder now... I really like this idea though. Can I steal it and try and organize a CBR1000RR version of this over on the Fireblade forum?
i dont see why not. i nabbed it from the GS forums so you can take it elsewhere if you'd like :)

the most important part at the moment is each participant marking thier estimated coverage area on the map through the link on the original post. that way we can see where everyone overlaps and get a jumping off point from there. its really simple and i believe i made the map public. a mini walk-through is on the page as to how to add your shape. i think mine is still the only one on there at the moment.

·
Registered
496 Posts

How do you actually add a place/edit the map? It says to click a red button but I don't see any red buttons...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

How do you actually add a place/edit the map? It says to click a red button but I don't see any red buttons...
you need to create a google account and sign in in order to edit the map. once thats taken care of you should see a red rectangle edit button that will let you do everything else.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

I really like this idea. I won't have an SV for quite a while, but I'll definitely ride with whoever comes through Georgia!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

Sounds like a fun idea! I'm down. Here's a rough estimate of the area I'd be able to traverse:

In case anyone else wants to do a radius around a point on a map, just input your location and miles you're willing to travel (straight line miles) and it will generate a radius. You don't need to sign up for an account or anything. After making the map, just take a screenshot or use the snipping tool and upload the pic.

http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm

·
Registered
496 Posts

you need to create a google account and sign in in order to edit the map. once thats taken care of you should see a red rectangle edit button that will let you do everything else.

I am signed in - see the screenshot. Are you sure you allowed others to add/edit things to the map? Is anyone else able to add their location?
http://imgur.com/wE5Wo

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

Oh, I just realized that we were supposed to add our area to the map. I clicked on it and it is not editable, and I am signed in.

There is no edit button to click on. When you make a Google map that you want others to be able to edit as well, you must select this option.

EDIT:
dry_humor, click on the collaborate button on the top left of the editing pane in your Google Map. A box will pop up. On the top right corner of the box will be a heading labeled 'Manage collaborators.' Underneath there check the box that says 'Allow anyone to edit this map.'

1 - 20 of 610 Posts