Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a ride and noticed my rear tire is shot, its the stock D220. The front tire is fine still, my question is do I have to replace both or can I just replace the rear and if I only replace the rear do I need to go with the exact same tire or can I go with something a little better? Any recommendations on online tire stores? Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I say replace the front too (assuming it has the same milage as the rear), sure, it still is legal and passes inspection, but the treads are thin, and in the rain, you really don't have a lot of water dispersal capabilities left in the tread.

Do you really want to take the chance your front tire will hydroplane if you get caught in the wet ?

·
Registered
326 Posts
For most people you will go through two rears to one front.

I don't recommend mixing brands of tires front to rear.

I have seen a few mix different series of tires but of the same brand. Even that is not the best though. They say if you are gonna do this to keep the stickier tire on the front.

For while I ran a PP rear and Pilot sport front and it rode fine, but then I put a power on the front and it was like a different bike.

Tires really are not the expensive in the grand scheme of things so I would say if you want to try something new then buy a new pair. Otherwise there are usally lots of D220s on ebay.

I always buy from the net and install myself.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I'd replace the front too just to get rid of the D220. Other than that, mixing tires is common and I've never had an issue with it. I've mixed and matched D220s, D208s, D207s, Metz M1, Metz Z6, Continental Road something, and Bt20(I think) battlaxes. Never rode significantly worse in the rain (except the d220 front) and things never got squirrely. I just wouldnt mix a very hard front tire with a very soft tire, thats about it though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts