Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's running for president? It's entertaining and informative.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Entertaining to the Honey Boo Boo bunch, maybe. Informative to whom?
You don't find the fact he makes $21 million a year and hides his fortune in offshore accounts unsettling? He may very well be the next leader of the "free world."

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This has nothing to do with his hiding of anything. Not a single mention of it was made. How was that conclusion to be drawn?
It's an afterthought.

Like "Wow, Mitt Romney hides his money in off shore accounts...wow he makes 21 million dollars a year?...How is he going to be any different from all the other corporatists in Washington?..."

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
It's an afterthought.

Like "Wow, Mitt Romney hides his money in off shore accounts...wow he makes 21 million dollars a year?...How is he going to be any different from all the other corporatists in Washington?..."

It's an afterthought if it was originally on his mind. I don't care that he has money off shore. It's legal enough. Morally upright? Not really.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I find it hilarious that you've derailed your own thread.
Nah, the threads still disparaging Mitt Romney. It's very much on the right track.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Towards the bottom of the page, the site describes how Romney made his money at Bain and references hiding profits overseas.

You gotta admit, the comment about how much Romney makes while one of the commenters shaves "pubes" is kinda funny.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Failing to report assets to the IRS is illegal. And it appears as though Romney is likely guilty of doing just that.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2012/08/investigating-mitt-romney-offshore-accounts
I handle these accounts for a living, ALL wealthy people do it. Spreading your exposure is not illegal. There are US offshore tax agents (look it up it's a task force by the IRS) that work with domestic and international banking institutions to make sure taxes are paid. I am sure Mitt topped the list a long time ago... If it was true, the Democrats would have had a field day already, and the Republicans would have never appointed him the running man.

Think ahead...

·
Registered
327 Posts
I handle these accounts for a living, ALL wealthy people do it. Spreading your exposure is not illegal. There are US offshore tax agents (look it up it's a task force by the IRS) that work with domestic and international banking institutions to make sure taxes are paid. I am sure Mitt topped the list a long time ago... If it was true, the Democrats would have had a field day already, and the Republicans would have never appointed him the running man.

Think ahead...
As an IRS employee, I'll vouch for this. There is a division dedicated to external entities - though this has more to do with multi-national corporations than anything.

The truth is, it's not as simple as just taking the $20M you made last year and moving it to the Bahamas to avoid taxation... if there are domestic records, you damn well know you're going to be paying taxes on it if you get caught in an audit. It's the grey area with foreign investment that gets tricky.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
As an IRS employee, I'll vouch for this. There is a division dedicated to external entities - though this has more to do with multi-national corporations than anything.

The truth is, it's not as simple as just taking the $20M you made last year and moving it to the Bahamas to avoid taxation... if there are domestic records, you damn well know you're going to be paying taxes on it if you get caught in an audit. It's the grey area with foreign investment that gets tricky.
People are so ignorant with the taxes thing, they love to give their opinion and know nothing about it. Just like the Cayman Islands being one of the strictest regulated places in the financial world, people still think of Pirates and dirty money from 30+ years ago. Time have changed, people need to inform themselves before being so opinionated on topics like this.

BTW, I love the fact that the IRS had decided to give people spreading their money in other countries (and not reporting it) a "break" in the percentage they need to pay if they do indeed report it to the IRS compared to not reporting it and in the future being caught. I still can't believe uncle Sam would offer something like that, but it's well done, both parties win, or one doesn't lose big...eventually.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Romney is welcome to withold his taxes for prior years. He's interviewing for a job that affects every person in America and many others throughout the world. He's asking for the reins to the US military, the keys to the Treasury and the ability to direct economic policy for the next four years. If the interviewers (voters) ask a question ("Hey, Mitt. How do you really make your money?) and he chooses not to answer, I think we're entitled to draw any negative inference we choose to.

If Mitt just wanted to watch his wife's dressage horse prance around, of if he wanted to go to El Salvador and build schools for poor kids, where his money comes from, what it does and what would be in his money's best interest would be nobody's business. But in today's political climate, where the Citizen's United decision and the influx of "interested" money have seemingly put American democracy up for bid on eBay, a politician's economic self-interest is as pertinent as it ever was.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Meh, so he's rich. Who cares?
OMG, a rich politician... That's never happened before...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle
From the website in the OP:

... what's more import is how he makes all that cash. Should you hate him because he is rich? No. Does it matter how he made his fortune and at whose expense? Yes. Should you question his priorities, loyalties, and motivations? Absolutely.
Me personally, I don't hate him because he's rich. How he made is money is less important to me at this point as is whether or not he's making decisions as a President of the United States with the peoples best interest or his "blind trusts" best interest in mind.

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire and this guy is hiding something, or rather, not doing anything to dispel my concerns of where his loyalties lie and therefore leading me to believe something is being hidden.

Based on what I do know about him - his past business and governing tactics and the people he chooses to surround himself with, I'm inclined to believe that he cares more about the fiscal position and well-being of his controlings than he does (or will) care about the average person making +/- $35,000 a year or the country in general.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Romney is welcome to withold his taxes for prior years. He's interviewing for a job that affects every person in America and many others throughout the world. He's asking for the reins to the US military, the keys to the Treasury and the ability to direct economic policy for the next four years. If the interviewers (voters) ask a question ("Hey, Mitt. How do you really make your money?) and he chooses not to answer, I think we're entitled to draw any negative inference we choose to.

If Mitt just wanted to watch his wife's dressage horse prance around, of if he wanted to go to El Salvador and build schools for poor kids, where his money comes from, what it does and what would be in his money's best interest would be nobody's business. But in today's political climate, where the Citizen's United decision and the influx of "interested" money have seemingly put American democracy up for bid on eBay, a politician's economic self-interest is as pertinent as it ever was.

No $h1t.

Cry me a river. Another stunt for the democratic party to use for ammunition for the separation of the "average" american to the wealthy american as posted before. It's obvious there is a portrait being displayed here by the Obama supporters that he is only for the rich, and wants nothing to do with the poor, and this is just another tactic to flip his SUCCESS into negativity. That's fine, he chose not to answer the question because he does NOT have to no matter what position he is running for in this country.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts