Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Missing The Ride

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  thedrewski86 
#1 · (Edited)
Sadly, my health the past few years has been total shite. Barely rode at all; I've only had to do an oil change twice, and since I have a garage dropped the insurance to save $$. This has not made for a happy Darren 🤬 Looking back at that time I realized it was a complete waste. So three months ago I decided it was time to quit being a douche and do something about it. I got my shit together, and even though we're still in pandemic mode stopped isolating so much.

Most importantly, I'm attending to my Little Suzy. Incidentally, my ex wife's name is Susan and never appreciated my 400# bike was the 'Little" Suzy :ROFLMAO: Yea no, not apologizing! Anyway, the first course of action was to get my curvy sweet thing to the shop. For some reason (vodka) I thought it was a great idea to do an oil change at two in the morning last November and being somewhat (very) inebriated I dropped her on the garage floor. Handlebar bent to non-euclidean angles, and my being the guy who when seen by friends with tools in hand, said friends run for cover, I got her to my local shop this week (Arlington Motorsports in Arlington Heights, IL- good guys deserving free plug.) With new bar and safety check, I'm looking forward to putting in some real miles this year.

Now, riding around the flat-lands of northern IL offers little in the way of entertaining riding. I have an hour long local loop that's meh, but better than nothing (and often involves a stop at Penny Road in Barrington for lunch.) If I want to make an afternoon of it I have a 3.5 hour loop that takes me up to Muskego via Burlington. This one is nice but still not very exciting. When I want to make a weekend of it, I have a few choices to base my rides out of (cheep motels) Savanna, IL (actually Clinton, OH. Riding is good but hotels are expensive in Savanna.) Boscobel, Prairie du Chien, and Mt Horeb- all three beyond the cheddar curtain. And all offer infinitly better riding than my locality. The exception being the late night Chi-town run. Actually, a morning ride- I love heading into the city at around 1am on a Monday morning. Riding down LSD, bombing lower Wacker, Cruising up Clark, and stopping at one of the many yummy 24hr taco joints, or breakfast at Hollywood Grill, North & Ashland. Then home before the morning rush. Open roads and minimal threat from drunk'n douche-bags and other caged menaces makes for a great ride!

As soon as she's back, and weather not to gnarley, I'll be cranking on the miles. If you're in the area give me a shout-out here or via email- daddyd2k@yahoo, and we'll get a ride out. It would be great to get some group outings this season too. I should also check the local thread that we used to use to try and get rides going. Haven't checked that in some time.

Be well, stay safe, and let 'er rip!

See less See more
Reactions: Geo Smith
#2 ·
I spent 17 years in that part of the country and done some of the same roads. Had family that came up in Mt Horeb as well. Northern Illinois does not make for very interesting twisties but you're not too far from a race track if you really want ;) and the SV is perfect for it!
Oddly enough I remember (vaguely) being influenced by vodka to take up similar two-wheeled adventures. Something about riding in the flatlands... seemed to fit with alcohol. I remember going on group rides with guys whose saddlebags were leaking because they were packed with ice and beer. I am FORTUNATE to be alive today, I tell you what.
Sorry to hear the former Suzy didn't treat you as well as the present one. That's the great thing about two wheels: get on the bike and it's just you. Silence and solitude heal many wounds. 🖖

#3 ·
I have never rode after drinking in thirty years of riding! Seriously. Love life to much for that kind of insanity. And this Little Suzy is my one and only. Sadly though, I usually procrastinate on general maintenance and then on occasion if cocktailing on the patio I might get it into my numb-skull that now would be a great time to do the job. That... yea. Guilty. Such a noob!

#4 ·
It's a ways out from you but Route 2 from Rockford to Dixon and Sterling is a really pretty drive along the Rock River.

There's a fantastic brewery in Byron, I think it's called the Hairy Cow, good pizza. Plenty of places to eat and sleep in Sterling/Rock Falls and Dixon. La Familia in Rock Falls has unreal carnitas.

#5 ·
Great suggestion Offthewalds! Just added to my Routs folder and will use it for my run out to Clinton/Savanna. I'll check out Hairy Cow too- its a perfect mid point stop for lunch.

Reactions: Offthewallds
#6 ·
Enjoy the cruise! If I recall correctly there might be a couple staties along there so run radar or keep it to 10 over. Cool views of the nuke plant cooling towers as well if you're in to power plants. You can also ride up next to the combined cycle plant south of Dixon where the road crosses over the railroad tracks.

#7 ·
So today was the day to pick up my Little Suzy and I was stoked! Mid 70s, sun shiney, ready to roll! My daughter picked me up and we had a nice lunch and then off to the shop. Bill paid and with a big ole smile I suited up and headed out. About a mile down the road I stop at a light and smell something nasty. Figuring its coming from the beater that just rolled up next to me I turn my attention to the light. A gust of wind then blows smoke and a burning stench into my full face helmet and turning I see smoke billowing out from under the pillion! Freaking out I pull into the gas station at the corner, hop off, shut down and remove the rear seat. A great cloud of smoke (I'm signalling Geronimo at this point) wafts into the air and much to my horror I can see the orange flames coming from under the right sides rear plastic. I frikkin tear into the station, run to the back and grab the biggest bottle of water I see and yelling, "my bikes' on fires I'll pay later!" I run out and douse the flames. Jeesh!

After a few minutes to make sure its out, and being chatted up by the attendant and a couple of customers, I calm down and call the shop. They quickly dispatch a van, pick us up, take me home, and take my precious for exploratory surgery and repair. What a great way to start the season🙄

Best guess is its the rectifier, but I'll know more tomorrow. More than a bit disappointing, at least I've got a good story which I'm sure will be embellished to inferno levels in no time.

It occurs to me that in 30+ years of riding that this is the first time I've caught on fire, so there's that.

Peace my brothers and sisters! Keep the rubber side down (and an extra water bottle in the bag)

#8 ·
An old friend of mine from that part of the country told me a similar story, but it wasn't an overheating r/r. She was on 80/94 going through Indiana when she pulls off on an exit in Gary. A truck followed her, pulling up beside her, and yelled "you're on fire!". She gave a thumbs up and took it as a compliment :LOL: then smelled her right saddlebag melting over her pipes. She got it put out then rode around with discolored exhaust for the next few years. As a matter of fact, she was out in SoCal a couple of years ago and she was still rocking the same pipes without a care in the world. No more saddlebags though.

#12 ·
Nooo! Don't say that. I could never forsake my baby! 😮

Got her back and was sweet riding :love: Now for some TLC- bubble bath, chain love, a little lube here, a little lube there (naughty girl) 🤭 and we're ready for a rite good flogging (oh my!) 🥴

Did I mentioned I was divorced? She told the judge I was disturbed 🤪

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.