Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, opinions on my rear tire. Lots of thread left, but its showing some quality dry rot. I got them May 2011 (tire was made in 2006 though). Ran through 6 trackdays at slow level 1 pace, and then used for street riding since without any noticeable problems (signs of dry rot since probably started early 2012).

I'm planning on a 2 day hill country ride coming up next month (will trailer bike out there, ride for 2 days around, trailer back) I'm a bit second guessing myself. The dry rot is inbetween the treads. I hate being wasteful, but should I just stick in some new tires or am I being paranoid and have nothing to worry about?

sorry for the big picture.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
picture didn't load

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it shows up for me? I tried putting in a different source, hopefully it works now. Also meant to add the cracking is in all the tread gaps, not just this one spot as in the picture.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
It'll probably be fine for your trip, especially if you're trailering it, but I would consider replacing them at the next earliest convenience.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Yeah, I'd replace it too. You've only got two tires between the road and you. Traditional internet wisdom is to replace tires after five years regardless of condition. Most manufactures recommend about six years from what I've seen. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Beings they're dry rotting, I'd definitely err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
818 Posts
IMO, the risk-reward ratio tips heavily towards replacement.

The cracks are indicative of the rubber having lost a significant amount of its grip and flexibility.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Done a hill country weekend trip that got completely f%#@ed by one rider's flat tire. Messed up the entire trip (for the most part). Out in the middle of woods with no cell reception. Replace.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Given the age of the tires, they are probably significantly harder than they once were.
However, the cracking is within the tread and I don't see any signs of it on the carcass that's exposed to the road.
Modern tires are designed and formulated in such a way that as the rubber stretches and flexes under use, it keeps itself soft and pliable. When it doesn't get a chance to move about, the effects of UV light and oxidation take their toll on the rubber and cracks begin to form as the rubber hardens.
Are you fine for a while yet? Certainly. As long as you realize your tires no longer have the level of grip they once had and ride accordingly, you'll be fine. I'd still advise replacing them within a few months, however.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can you please let us know what place sold you tires that were already 5 years old.
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to go ahead and replace them haha. I bought the tires last year on close out at....... CYCLEGEAR! They are Pirelli Diablo Stradas. I will say I only paid 80 dollars for both the front and the rear...

·
Registered
510 Posts
the pilot power i have on my front will be 5 years old in november and it looks brand new, but it was stored indoors most of that time. your tire looks like they had it sitting outside for a while or it just didn't like the track days.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts