Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to the forums obviously, anyway, I bought a 2006 SV650S with < 5k miles on it for $2000 from a Lt. Col in ND. The bike should be here today or tomorrow with the title.

My problem comes in here, I leave next Tuesday for a summer long TDY that I was planning on taking the bike for as my primary transportation. My home of record is Ohio, which is where I am going to register the bike, but when I was home last weekend(PITA overnight flight), they told me that since the title will be in my name they couldn't issue me a temp tag for the hold over. I've tried calling the dealerships around me here at Belvoir, and they can't help me getting a temp tag just to get the bike to my TDY location, nor is the VA or MD DMV being much help, they want me to get the bike through emmisions before they'll give me a temp, that and it's rather expensive.

I'm planning on overnighting the Title to my parents, who have a single use Power of Attorney to get the bike registered and they'll be overnighting the plates back, but during that week wait, any ideas how to get a set of temps? Is there some way I'm not seeing beyond the take-forever-expensive-PITA normal channels?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not that I know of. Seems like you've got it figured out, but it's going to take a little longer than you'd like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I know of. Seems like you've got it figured out, but it's going to take a little longer than you'd like.
The whole excitement thing is killing me, I'm coming from 9 years of riding dirt to this being my first street bike. I was hoping to be able to put around awhile in the more calm streets here in VA before all I have around me are 70-MPH-twistie-up-and-down-i'm-going-to-kill-myself WV roads at the TDY post.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You could always chance it. I have a few friends in law enforcement, and they say they would be lenient if you just bought the bike that day and didn't have time to get it registered, but I don't know about going a week without a tag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True enough, it's getting transported to Dawson in the back of a box truck, courtesy of my training/tdy NCO ;D, so I'll just putt around and try to resist playing on the roads with 200ft drop-offs on the other side of the guard rails!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nevermind, scammed! Here's the complaint I just put in with the FTC and Military Sentinel. Next stop....? Local Police and MP's maybe?

On 12 April I sent an e-mail to: [email protected]

With the text: Hello,

I'll be able to purchase the 650S in the next 2 weeks. If at all possible I would like to purchase it, but if you'd be unable to hold it until then I understand. I can pay either via paypal, or I can have my parents pick it up with the cash. I'm looking forward to hearing your reply and more information if possible!

-On 14 April I received a reply from: Lt. Col. Conley, Christopher <[email protected]>

With the text:
Hello and sorry for the late reply. Hope I'm not too late and you didn't already purchased another bike.
For sale is my 2006 Suzuki SV 650S in immaculate condition with only 5,045 miles, rust free, no scratch and hasn't been involved in any accident. It has an 650cc engine. This bike needs nothing and comes with a CLEAN title.
I want this transaction to be smooth and I don't have much time at my disposal to waste my time with endless discussions. I believe $2,000.00 (not negotiable) is more than a fair price.
You can reach me at (701) 212-1354 or you can email me if you are interested.

Thank you,
Lt. Col. Conley, Christopher

P.S. More pictures here: http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/chrstphrconley/

to which I replied on 14 april:

Sir,

You are definitely not too late! I'm at work at the moment so my ability to view the extra pictures is somewhat limited unless I proxy it, which I may do during lunch. My main concerns center around the mechanical/maintenance aspect of the bike, and it's ability to be ridden off immediately. I'll be TDY up in the mountains of WV all summer without immediate access to a bike shop, so anything that needs to be done I would have to do before I leave. How are the tires, brakes, oil? Has the spring maintenance been done? What do the tune up/maintenance costs normally run around here? Looking forward to hearing from you!

His next reply:

The bike is at Minot AF Base, North Dakota, where i am currently stationed, until April 27, when I will be deployed to Afghanistan. This is why I must sell it before that. Shipping won't be a problem for me. I will take care of that, with no costs on your end.
This is a large amount and I would like to conduct the deal using an authorized third party like eBay using their Purchase Protection Program, so this should eliminate any trust issues. They will keep a deposit until the purchase is final, and you test and accept the bike. If you will not get the bike as described, and also a clean title you will receive your money back.
To be able to use this program you need to qualify. I have been approved 3 years ago and I was very satisfied. So, if you are interested in buying my bike just let me know your name and shipping address.
I will forward them to eBay's protection program and wait for the approval.
The ad generated a great deal of interest and people have been calling me non stop and the line was down for a while.

to which i replied:
Sir,

So how do I proceed with buying? I might have the money on the 17th, but the absolute latest would be the 24th, so either way you will have it before you deploy. I know it would be a bit much to ask you to wait to sell it until the 24th, but it would be a huge help to me. I fall into the young soldier category that got married at bragg to one of the girls who's mother's trained them to marry a soldier, have a kid, and divorce him to be taken care of for at least 18 years by the child support. Anyway, I digress, if you want to proceed through the bay bit, I will attempt to get all that in order as soon as possible. I would personally prefer to go through paypal, as I already have a long standing account with them, and I do tend to trust the word of a fellow service member in regards to the quality of an item I'm purchasing(yes it has gotten me into trouble). Thank you for the swift reply and I'm looking forward to hearing back from you sir! If you want to proceed with the ebay, here's the address:

editted out

Thanks again sir!

-On 15 April I received an email from: eBay <[email protected]>

With an invoice and these instructions:

Payment Instructions:
eBay requires the deposit of $ for this item to be done through MoneyGram transfer service to our representative.

How to make payment:

1. Go to the nearest MoneyGram Office:

2. Make the deposit with cash using the following eBay representative information:

Name

Michael Dawson
Address

153 Boston Post Road
City - State:

East Lyme - CT
Zip:

United States

3. After you complete the transfer, fax eBay Motors at +1 (408) 904-5876 or
+1 (408) 490-2779 the following:
- MoneyGram receipt(s)
- Shipping Address

Note:
-The only MoneyGram payment service admited is: MoneyGram Money Transfer. Please DO NOT use MoneyGram Express Payment or any other MoneyGram Services.
-There is no need for the "4-digit receive code", you only need the information provided above.

NOTICE: When eBay receives the payment confirmation the item will be shipped to your address by DAS for ground delivery or insured airship cargo for long distance delivery. The Vehicle Purchase Protection program protects your vehicle purchase against fraud and material misrepresentation. This program is provided by eBay for FREE. There is no sign-up, opt-in, or registration necessary. Your vehicle purchase is protected for up to $20,000 or the vehicle purchase price, whichever is lower.

Regards,
Safeharbor Department (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay.

-On 16 April I followed the instructions and send the moneygram to Michael Dawson, with the reference number: 98702586 for the amount of $2000.00, plus the $85.00 fee to send the moneygram. I then faxed the mentioned documents to the number indicated, for the price of $3.89 at the Staples across the street.

I informed the "Lt. Col" that the money was sent and he should receive a response from e-bay shortly.

On 16 April in response, I received this e-mail:
Just received the confirmation. Shipping will start today. Thank you for a smooth transaction. Will keep you posted.

I had not heard from him since then though I sent multiple e-mails. Today 20 April, I attempted to contact him via Minot AFB, and was told that there was no service member by that name on active duty at that location. So I entered into a live chat session with an actual e-bay representative, where I was informed that this was a common scam.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah man he definitately put together an elaborate scam. He pretended to be a high ranking officer to gain your trust and he made it seem like everything would be safe going through Ebay and Moneygram.

Sorry it worked out like this. There is probably little chance of recovering your money. There is no chance that there is a "Lt. Col. Conley" especially. Not even a military email address.

Sorry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, now I'm left with the missing another riding season to save up option, as nobody is too keen on taking monthly allotment payments from the military finance system, and I can't get a loan on this economy![/excitement]

·
Registered
333 Posts
That sucks man, but $2000.00 for an 06 with only 5k miles. I wouldn't have sold my bike for that. Good luck with the dispute, hope you get your money back.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You should have known it was a scam from the price...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dang, this sucks. I figured the price was too good to be true, but I emailed the guy just like you and he responded in the same way. If it wasn't for your post, I might've gone through with the purchase too--money order aside. I'd only do a face-to-face purchase and take a buddy with me, especially with this "craigslist killer" business and random dudes from Africa posing as pastors and what not. What a bust.

Apparently, there really is a Lt. Col. Christopher Conley in the world, but this is just some scam artist. Sorry you had to go through this.

- Cali.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That sux a big one and I don't want to flame you or anything but haven't you heard about all the moneygram scams on Ebay? The only way to pay with Ebay is through Paypal. Any other means is just foolish.

And remember, if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Good luck on your next purchase and just try to be careful about it.

You're not alone though. A good friend of mine had a roommate a few years ago that sent somebody a moneygram for $2500 for a blinged out CBR and got took as well. We all told him don't do it, it's a scam. But he let his emotions play a part in his thought process.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You should just wait untill you have a chance to deploy again. You can get a brand new bike for way cheaper if you buy it over seas. For example my friend bought an 08 sportster for 7k while we were in iraq. That same bike was 9k at the dealer. You have to do your reasearch though I have had a lot of friends end up paying the same as if they had just walked into a local dealer. Anyways that sucks about your bike. I learned always have title in hand and be patient especially when buying a motorcycle have title in hand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
<---Former Law enforcement. Sorry for the delay, just read the post.

Don't give up hope of letting your money go- in my experience, it's only persistent victims that get their way. Besides contacting Ebay/Craigslist/whoever, also try your local JAG office. Impersonating a military officer will actually be taken much more seriously than a $2000 scam.

ALSO- Save all documentation. Save/print/copy all emails and fax records.

FINALLY- Your best bet is to get up with the police in the town of CT where you wired the money to. That name might be false, but a lot of times, ID thieves get arrested with false IDs. That name might lead to fingerprints, and eventually to a body.

$2000 might not be a big deal to some, but it sure is to me!

·
Registered
10 Posts
ALSO- Sorry, but I'm having fun! I just left police work last month for a higher-paying security job, and I'm missing the smell of crooks!

That address is CT is a private mailbox center, Parcel Center LLC. You can contact them and let them know that the guy is running mail scams out of your business. They usually require an ID to rent a monthly box, and might be cool about helping you out.

****, I need to become a PI!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I saw this post in STL and you're right it was very convincing. I even googled his name and there is a Lt. Col Conley who has done some work in Afghanistan. Sometimes it's hard to believe people can go so low to impersonate military. Hope this works out for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well sorry to hear this dude. And again not trying to flame but if it's too good to be true it probably is. Plus on craigslist on the top part of the webpage there is a very clear warning. Again not trying to make u feel worst but this is the warning on the top of the page::
Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally!Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee.
And as being a LEO myself if you come up to my precint with this kind of issue there wouldn't be much we could do, there is not much man power to go thru this. Plus I work for in a very big, busy, and sloppy department. (Atlanta) Well bro I hope you can get to the bottom of this.
Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts