Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
we used high temp spray paint on headers before(the can even said it would work), dumb idea...didn't last 2 days.

·
Registered
203 Posts
no, it just looked burnt, almost like rust. Maybe it was a bad brand, hopefully some who is more knowlegeable will post on this.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I've used the 1200 degree ceramic paint on headers and it never works. Too hot right at the engine. I am going to try the same paint on the mid pipe. That should work fine since the heat is greatly reduced at that point. I'm going to try it tonight and I'll post my results!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Did the mid pipe in satin black 1200 degree ceramic paint. First used sandpaper on the mid pipe, then cleaned it with alcohol, then put several coats of paint on it. Reinstalled, took it for a 20 mile spin and it looks good and seems to be OK. Time will tell!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Just for looks! I like the black and yellow combo on my 05. I have also black powder coated the passenger foot pegs and rider foot pegs as well.

·
Registered
899 Posts

Here is the final product. Midpipe painted with the 1200 degree ceramic black paint. Looks good! So far holding up great

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the post , yes looks are the key factor. I did the whole system and will see how it turns out. I might just have to do the midpipe like you Bobdoyle.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I've seen headers painted with high heat paint and it work fine. The surface has to be prepped very well and any rust removed.

It the pipe is chromed ANY paint will have difficulty sticking to it because chrome is such a hard and smooth surface.

I don't generally like Krylon paints but there ceramic based high heat stuff has held up very well on my stock muffler. I prepped it with 000 steel wool and wiped it down with a rag. 2 coats did the job... Be very gentle until after it gets hot a few times as the paint will be very soft until it bakes on...

·
Registered
9 Posts
My older 4's had steel headers, and it was S.O.P. to sand them, wipe them down with a tack cloth, spray them with VHT or Bar-B-Q flat ot astin finish paint, CAREFULLY reinstall, and start up the bike where there is no breeze (in your garage), toll it gets good+hot to cure and bake on the finish 2-3 times befopre you go riding. I'd do that every couple years as needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts