Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New transplant to the Central South Carolina region. Just moving over from Phoenix and checking to see if there are any SVers in the Columbia, Lexington, Sumter, or Florence areas. Hopefully some people around as I've met lots of good riders and made some good friends through SVR. Let's ride!

Feeling kind of spoiled after being lucky enough to rip AZ and some of CA for the last year. Incredible weather, roads, and plenty of other riders to make it fun. Hopefully the rain will stick to a 5-day work week around here!

As for good roads, is there really anything nearby? Do you have to get up near the mountains before anything gets fun? I rode the Gap and BRP/Skyline back in '05 and am looking forward to getting back there, but I was hoping there is something more local for day rides. Didn't get to experience anything else in SE Tenn, North GA, or NC, so excited about that.

As for track days, it would be great to get 2-3 in this year. As for tracks, we have VIR and Carolina Motorsports Park. Anything else? Road Atlanta offer open moto-days?

Just took the bike outta my temporary storage place after the move so I'm anxious to ride. Anyone else out there?

·
Registered
72 Posts
i'm down in Charleston and don't make it to the upstate too often, but shoot me a PM if you're ever down in this neck of the woods!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You may need frequent pit stops after eating at the Beacon. LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm in greenville area...was looking about track days when I came across the thread. I hadnt thought much about getting on a track until a ducati we picked up on the red cross poker run was telling us about it.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I live in Central. Myself and a group of friends ride north of Seneca just about every Sunday. We had plans to hike to the top of table rock today but got rained out. Let me know if you're interested. I'm the only non-cruiser in the group but we have a good time. ;D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love to ride ceasers head...done it quite a few times this season, alone and with a group of friends. Riding ceasers head with cruisers has to slow ya down though...they aint taking those turns up the mountain like sport bike can.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
We've done Caesar's head twice in the last two months. I think Hwy 178 is my favorite, though.

You would be surprised how fast the leader takes the turns on his cruiser. His fastest speed is my 'hauling ass but still completely comfortable'.

For me to outrun him, I really have to get it down in the corners. And there has to be back-to-back sharp turns. I think his bike beats mine bottom end..

·
Registered
30 Posts
wow, your right in that most cruisers will have more torque lower end, but also most cant corner like the sv without scraping a peg...we had one cruiser and one sport bike(new rider of only maybe 2 months) that staid at back of our pack and were a bit behind at top of moutain...hehe I also speak from riding a cruiser up the thing I've been up on a 91 HD custom softail and I scraped the peg on it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
ernestmyname, just curious what is the age bracket of your riding group? I noticed your in clemson wondering if you takling college kids or what...hehe

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
We have one rider.. in his 50's? He is really a great guy. He's been around for a long time and is always educating us about something. He's actually a grad student at Clemson, has taught at Clemson, and is a tutor to the athletes.

The rest of the guys are young but mature riders. The only consistent rider (the guy that organizes the rides) is a guy on a harley. He is a bouncer at one of the bars downtown.

For them, it's all about getting out the house and going somewhere. Since we go nearly every Sunday, it has become more of getting out with your riding buddies and going somewhere to hang out.

Last Sunday we (Only two riders) ended up in a ramshack little bar on the NC line. It was the highlight of my weekend. We sat there, can beer in hand, and talked with some of the locals. One only had one working eye and a couple teeth. Not to mention he could barely talk and only appeared in his 50's. The other company wasn't in much better condition... ;D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nice, thats pretty much what riding is about period(for pure riders at least)...the freedom the escape the pleasure...gotta love the memories like that of places you ended up people you ran into etc...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey fellas. Glad to see some posts. Busy as all get out and unfortunetly that impacts my ability to get some rides in. Have finally had a couple chances to get familiar with the "local" roads. Stayed at Paris Mtn State Park a couple of times and did the 276/74/28/64/178 loop. Can't ask for much better in a days ride. Last time I brought my wife along for her first multi-day ride on her new bike (Kawi ER-6n). We extended that trip to stay over at Fontana. She did pretty well on the dragon!

I may have the chance to get out for one more weekend up there, but we'll see. Depends on the weather, too. I'd like to do that loop in reverse order as everytime I've ridden Caesar's it's been wet and socked in with fog. But I agree, 178 is the hidden gem of that rip. 28 just south of 74 is moving up my list of favorites as well.

It just sucks that it's 3 hrs to get to the good stuff from Sumter. Trailering up and camping for the weekend is fun, just takes more time.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Hey fellas. Glad to see some posts. Busy as all get out and unfortunetly that impacts my ability to get some rides in. Have finally had a couple chances to get familiar with the "local" roads. Stayed at Paris Mtn State Park a couple of times and did the 276/74/28/64/178 loop. Can't ask for much better in a days ride. Last time I brought my wife along for her first multi-day ride on her new bike (Kawi ER-6n). We extended that trip to stay over at Fontana. She did pretty well on the dragon!

I may have the chance to get out for one more weekend up there, but we'll see. Depends on the weather, too. I'd like to do that loop in reverse order as everytime I've ridden Caesar's it's been wet and socked in with fog. But I agree, 178 is the hidden gem of that rip. 28 just south of 74 is moving up my list of favorites as well.

It just sucks that it's 3 hrs to get to the good stuff from Sumter. Trailering up and camping for the weekend is fun, just takes more time.
I can be at the top of caesars head in about exactly an hour. :D I'm not from the upstate but plan on staying in the area because of all the great scenes/riding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah I'm lucky too live in lower part of greenville county so about 45 minutes from ceaser's head....also some decent roads around here if you like long country roads(decent road shape but not many sharp turns) rather then winding mountain ones(the roads up ceasers head are in bad shape these days!!!)...hehe Both can be fun.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
We got rained out last weekend - we were planning on a ride up to Table Rock some time Sunday morning. Then the several mile hike to the top.

Anyone interested in joining us this coming Sunday is welcome. Even if you don't want to ride with the group you can meet us up there. There will only be four people guaranteed that I know of.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts