Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
If you have time to play with your mileage a little I would suggest a run through Spearfish Canyon in western SD and Devil's Tower in NE WY.

Your route through the mountains in CO could be more scenic/twisty. I'd rater not just post up a list of good roads, but will definitely share some nice ones. How many more miles could you add in CO, if any? Let me know and I will see what I can do for that portion of the trip.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Hey, text me when you're getting into Utah, I'll join you for a few hundred miles.

eight zero one - six eight seven - nine nine zero seven.

Maybe I can even offer a place to stay here. I'm planning my own little trip with my wife so hearing from an iron-butter first hand could be useful too ;)

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
If you have time to play with your mileage a little I would suggest a run through Spearfish Canyon in western SD and Devil's Tower in NE WY.
Get off on 14 at Sturgis, stay on scenic 14 down and back up through spearfish canyon, get back on 90 and go west, get off on 14 at sundance, stay on 14, right on 24 until you see devils tower, you don't have to enter the park to see it, there is a couple of great turn-offs on the main road (24) to take photos, then take 24 back and take a right on 14 again to take you west back to the interstate.

From D to E, instead of taking 20 which is quite scenic, jog north from Cody, WY on 120 to 296 (chief joseph highway), I consider this road a MUST ride in the United States, from there you will hit the south end of Bear Tooth Highway 212, this will take you back into Yellowstone.

You will not regret this detour.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for advice guys! I'll definitely look into incorporating it!

Rugby, I didn't plan out Colorado part yet, so yeah, if you give some pointers, it would be great! I can't really afford many miles to add, however I am keeping an extra day, in case I want to come back from the trip a day later.

Off1, I'll definitely hit you up! Your trip looks like fun too!

Range, 296 looks amazing on the map!

·
Registered
225 Posts
70 thru kansas, missouri, and illinois will bore you to death.. I understand using the interstate to make time but it is unbelievably flat and boring.

I live in Southern Illinois and have been across 70 quite a bit across Illinois and Missouri traveling for my business. If you would be looking to do some scenic touring, southern missouri and illinois can be quite interesting on two lane back roads.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Get off on 14 at Sturgis, stay on scenic 14 down and back up through spearfish canyon, get back on 90 and go west, get off on 14 at sundance, stay on 14, right on 24 until you see devils tower, you don't have to enter the park to see it, there is a couple of great turn-offs on the main road (24) to take photos, then take 24 back and take a right on 14 again to take you west back to the interstate.
I think that's the route that I took between the two (or close to it). I can't remember now, did you point this one out to me as well when I was on the road 2 years ago?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Take Hwy 30 east from Portland rather than freeway 84.
30 is the old Columbia road. The roads merge for a bit near Hood River.
Get back on 30 at Mosier to take the Rowena Loops to The Dalles.
From there take 14 on the Washington side to Umatilla.

Lewiston is a pretty stunning gorge.
Take a ride up the old Spiral Highway to the top and back down.
The Clearwater river and Lolo pass out of there should not be missed.
That's already on your map, so good choice.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ranger,

your trip's pictures are awesome. I am at Sheridan, WY. 2.5 days in. Off1, I'll actually be in Salt Lake City from the evening of 8th to the morning of 11th.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
FYI - your route above has you going through 2 areas closed due to wildfires. I've tried to map something out that avoids fire areas and interstates but I don't have the local knowledge of those areas to pick routes that I know will be clear. Hell, even I70 and I25 were closed for parts of the last few days due to fires being too close. When are you looking to hit CO?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Rugby, thanks for heads up. I'll be near Colorado on Wed 11.

Right now at Kamiah, ID, heading west on 12. Going straight to Portland tonight. I will need to get a new front tire in Portland. Can you guys recommend a shop?

Thanks for lots of useful advice, guys!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I'm finally back from the trip and since there's a ton of stuff to share, I will just post up the pics:

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
:rock:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts