Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that both have their respective uses.

Most of my riding is commuting with some twisties.
I know the Roads will last me longer and have great rain traction. They are almost perfect for a commuter tire.

Powers on the other hand have better all round traction but won't last as long.

Is that extra stickiness worth the shorter tire mileage life?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,174 Posts
If there were any turns here I'd mount the Powers I have. I changed my mind and am now going to put on Roads instead. 250 miles a week with only turns at intersections sucks.
You'd probably be best off with the Roads
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
Me personally? Roads all the way. I don't do track days, have no pretention about being a road racer or fast guy, and put on way too many miles straight up and down commuting and just chasing the horizon. If I did a couple track days a year or really got into canyon strafing, then the Powers...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
the choice depends on your budget.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lkm said:
the choice depends on your budget.
I don't think there is much difference in price, just that one has to replace the Powers a bit more often.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
Currently said:
I understand that both have their respective uses.

Most of my riding is commuting with some twisties.
I know the Roads will last me longer and have great rain traction.  They are almost perfect for a commuter tire.

Powers on the other hand have better all round traction but won't last as long.

Is that extra stickiness worth the shorter tire mileage life?
How many miles do you ride in a season? If you only ride 7500 or less, I would go with powers, more, go with the roads,

I am able to get thru from begining of May to end of october on 1 set of sport touring tires (I run AzarosSTs but milage reports for bothare comparable) then I run my "winter" tires
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,246 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:
I just got my roads in the mail yesterday.  Pretty beefy.  Looks like they'll be nice, but I have to wait until this weekend to get them on.   :(
Awesome! Judging by your description of riding style, they will be the best fit....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Anyone actually tried both tires out for a good comparison because I was trying to make up my mind also. We have some twisties around here but not too much. Personally the stock tires suck especially when cold. I am more concerned with:

A) how fast they warm up
B) Once both tires are warmed up, do the roads grip plenty fine unless you are trying to do a knee dragger at 100mph ::)
C) What is the life expectancy of teh powers compared to the Roads? 7500 miles on powers sounds plenty high enough for me as I won't put that much on a set of tires in a year so new tires each year won't bother me at all for a really good traction tire.
D) WARNING..may be a dumb question -->> Can too sticky of a tire actually cause problems for everyday use?

Thanks guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
I have the roads and they are ok. I don't like the profile on the rear. They take an averfage amount of time to warm up. I took my road to the dragon and it did well. No pucker moments. I don't run the front road, so I can't comment on it. My next set will be some powers so I can comment on both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Why would you NOT run powers?! They are the best street tires to date. I have close to 8000 miles on mine on my Z1000 and I still have a wee-bit of tread left, and I don't "take it easy" when I ride by any means. They heat up fast, have a great sport profile (turn in fast), AWESOME grip, AWESOME tire life, and are affordable. In fact, I think that anybody who DOESN'T use these tires is a fool.

I also did two track days on my SV with the pilot powers, AND ran them at deal's gap. They worked great.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
eugene_a said:
Why would you NOT run powers?! They are the best street tires to date. I have close to 8000 miles on mine on my Z1000 and I still have a wee-bit of tread left, and I don't "take it easy" when I ride by any means. They heat up fast, have a great sport profile (turn in fast), AWESOME grip, AWESOME tire life, and are affordable. In fact, I think that anybody who DOESN'T use these tires is a fool.

I also did two track days on my SV with the pilot powers, AND ran them at deal's gap. They worked great.
NOT all of us want to go thru 2-3 sets of tirees in a year, while sport touring tires are not as sticky as a sport tire they are adquate for street use and last twice as long

today's sport touring tires are stickier than the sport tires of just a few years ago
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
bbmxta said:
Anyone actually tried both tires out for a good comparison because I was trying to make up my mind also. We have some twisties around here but not too much. Personally the stock tires suck especially when cold. I am more concerned with:

A) how fast they warm up
B) Once both tires are warmed up, do the roads grip plenty fine unless you are trying to do a knee dragger at 100mph ::)
C) What is the life expectancy of teh powers compared to the Roads? 7500 miles on powers sounds plenty high enough for me as I won't put that much on a set of tires in a year so new tires each year won't bother me at all for a really good traction tire.
D) WARNING..may be a dumb question -->> Can too sticky of a tire actually cause problems for everyday use?

Thanks guys!


I can answer this one in the affirmative. At sane speeds, the Roads had plenty of traction for me, not a single pucker moment in many weather conditions...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking at the poll numbers, I believe the majority of you have the same opinion that I have between the Roads and the Powers!

six on one hand and half a dozen on the other ... ;D

They are both great at what they do.
Thanks for providing feedback and input!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
Currently-- My best advice would be to let your riding style dictate your tire choice. They are indeed both fine tires, just designed for slightly different usage. Neat thing is, there's a tire for just about everybody right now, lot of great tires floating around out there....
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top