Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im having a hard time understanding how/why to use a SAE torque wrench with the bike, when most of our measurements are in metric (and i would assume torque is measured in newton-meters as well)

Should I be buying a metric or an sae torque wrench as I didnt see any "metric" for sale specifically yesterday when i went to look.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well thats the thing, in the past i've tried using SAE tools on my bike and they've never fit as "snug" as their metric counterparts or end up causing a bit of cam-out... always close, and usable, but never "just right" and typically blemishes the bolt ever so slightly in the process.

Also, can anyone explain how to torque the front wheel when it requires that 14mm allen tool (how do u hook a socket-style torque wrench up to torque that?)

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Use metric sockets on metric fasteners.

Torque can be set either in ft-lbs or N-m on most torque wrenches, but ft-lbs is generally the easier scale to work with. Most torque specs are given in both or can be converted. I'm pretty sure the torque specs are given in ft-lbs for this bike.

You can buy a 14 mm hex socket that has a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive for use with your standard ratchets and torque wrenches.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Actually, I can't think of any modern car that uses SAE fasteners anywhere--well, not any of the ones I work on, anyway.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally Posted by Exhausted
well thats the thing, in the past i've tried using SAE tools on my bike and they've never fit as "snug" as their metric counterparts or end up causing a bit of cam-out..

That's because your bike has metric fasteners.
in that post, I was trying to explain to that poster above precisely why i do NOT use SAE on my bike, and trying to give him a reason why on the matter as well (if he doesnt mind using sae on his bike)

I'm still not understanding why to buy a 1/2" or whatever torque wrench isnt this in SAE and would have a hard time putting metric sockets on it?

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
wait wait wait, you mean the socket to the ratchet?

XD they are all the same. Metric sockets will be found in 1/4, 3/8 drive and 1/2 drive. they will fit your sae torque bar

·
Registered
850 Posts
Most torque wrenches aren't specific to SAE/metric. They use a socket (usually 3/4" or 1/2" drive). You use the socket to match the fastener.

If it only has 1 scale (most, like the Snap-on or Craftsmen one's I've used, have both ft-lbs and N-m scales) multiply N-m * 0.74 to get ft-lbs. Or divide ft-lbs / 0.74 to get N-m.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm still not understanding why to buy a 1/2" or whatever torque wrench isnt this in SAE and would have a hard time putting metric sockets on it?
haha that really made me laugh but I guess its true all ratchets are "SAE" 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch drive
even the metric sockets have standard drive

·
Registered
850 Posts
haha that really made me laugh but I guess its true all ratchets are "SAE" 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch drive
even the metric sockets have standard drive
You can find metric drive ratchets, but typically your standard hardware store ratchet will be SAE drive. This just indicates the size of the "nub" the socket attaches with. The other end (that is used on the fastener) can be whatever size, SAE or metric.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
You can find metric drive ratchets, but typically your standard hardware store ratchet will be SAE drive. This just indicates the size of the "nub" the socket attaches with. The other end (that is used on the fastener) can be whatever size, SAE or metric.
Where have you seen metric drive ratchets? Just curious, I've never seen one.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'm always either too cold or too hot when I use my metric sockets. Must be because I don't quite get this Centigrade thing.

More seriously, all my wrenches have both metric and SAE scales, and if I am in doubt, Google will do the conversion for you. (example: 32 degrees Fahrenheit = ? degrees Centigrade)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I bought one of these.. not good for tight spaces.. but work ok.. make sure you get it local.. I had to replace mine twice.. luckily it's life time replacment at Canadian tire..

does both meteric and imperial

1 - 18 of 18 Posts