Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Hein Gericke jacket that I got about six or seven years ago. It's one or two sizes to big so when I ride it flaps pretty hard in the wind which doesn't seem safe. I live near Hilton Head, SC so it's very hot down here and even more humid. I want a leather jacket but I tried on a mesh one and it was so much cooler and less expensive (which is important). Has anyone had experience going down in mesh and how bad was it? Is any mesh better then other mesh? What's the coolest (tempature wise) leather jackets?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I voted mesh. Sure leather is more protective but it might give me a heat stroke when i ride during traffic in the day. That and also, alot of ppl with leather jackets never wear them during the day, T-shirts suffice for them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The best jacket is one that you will wear. You might check out the combination jackets with mesh plus leather in the shoulder and elbows.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have both as well, and a textile suit also.

I've only been down once, and was wearing the mesh. I ended up in soft loose dirt, so it's hard to evaluate the protection it provided. I live in central California though, and on a day like today (108 degrees), I literally could not wear my leather.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Reasonable choices

If you live where it's both hot and humid perforated leather is not an option. Even a mesh jacket gets hot where I live if you're not moving. It's better to have gear that you will wear and that won't kill you with hyperthermia than to have no gear at all. If you ride reasonably then mesh is a reasonable alternative in hot weather. I've known three people so far who have fallen in mesh and came out fine. Not perfect, maybe a small brush burn or two, but no big strawberries or cuts. I have also known people going down in leather who have had similar brush burns.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stranger, I would love both unfortunately that's not an option this year, maybe one this year and one next or over the winter.... I can dream at least.

Asp125, That's the thing, I always wear my jacket even in the 90+ degree weather, I just want to know how protected I am if I go with mesh.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I always wear a leather jacket/helmet.

On the track, I wear full leathers. I've crashed at the track and was ok.

I used to wear mesh pants w/ lightweight gloves on the street. Then I got hit, and my A* mesh pants proved only marginally better than a thong. My right glove disintegrated, then actually came off (no gauntlet).

I now wear leather all the time, and just go faster to keep cool.

P

·
0 Posts
Winters I wear Aerostitch Roadcrafter, Summers, perforated Vanson.

Oh, and it gets fairly warm here in Texas, butt after almost 60 years, I guess I just don't notice it so much...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Check out the Fieldsheer Mach 2 jacket. It's a mesh jacket with a layer of leather over the contact points. It also has a zip out quilted liner for cooler days.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
90+ degrees = mesh for casual street riding

under 90 and for fast riding at all temps = leather

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Scotch said:
I always wear a leather jacket/helmet.

On the track, I wear full leathers. I've crashed at the track and was ok.

I used to wear mesh pants w/ lightweight gloves on the street. Then I got hit, and my A* mesh pants proved only marginally better than a thong. My right glove disintegrated, then actually came off (no gauntlet).

I now wear leather all the time, and just go faster to keep cool.
and what northern non-tropical zone state do you live in????

·
Registered
110 Posts
you make a fair point, I don't live in Florida or anywhere with ridiculous summer humidity.

That said, it is hot here in the summer. High 90s is not uncommon.

Also of note is that this leather all the time thing is my new philosophy, and since my hand is still broken I haven't really ridden since my accident.

So i guess my ideological "leather all the time" soap box is really more theory than application at this point.

Still, my point remains, my mesh pants offered very little protection during my last get off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, I don't know about mesh pants. I feel comfortable in jeans.... new jeans, nothing worn out. I do need new boots, I was thinking Icon super duty boots in brown. I think I'm going with a mesh Jacket with leather on the sleeves, like the Fieldsheer Mach 2.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
It ain't the heat

It's the humidity. The problem with perforated leathers is that you can't get enough cooling when the temperature gets above 85F and the humidity gets above 50%. 90F and 45% humidity is about the same. 100F and 5% humidity, the body can do a pretty good job of cooling itself off. I've been riding on days when it's 90F and 90% humidity. You can't take that for long with a helmet on, moving or not.

As I said, I've known folks who crashed in mesh with no problems. Joe Rocket Phoenix gear save a V-Strom 1000 riding friend of mine during a (roughly) 75 foot slide across fresh asphalt. And leather is not the end-all of protection. You can get burned through leather by friction.

In cool weather leather works great. In the deep south mesh is the only thing I can wear safely (without passing out).

·
Registered
744 Posts
jagsv650 said:
yeah, I don't know about mesh pants. I feel comfortable in jeans.... new jeans, nothing worn out. I do need new boots, I was thinking Icon super duty boots in brown. I think I'm going with a mesh Jacket with leather on the sleeves, like the Fieldsheer Mach 2.
Jeans will give you all about two feet sliding on pavement, new or not.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts