Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I use this on my brand new windshield, the day I got the bike and the windshield had ZERO scratches.  I used it with a microfiber towel and applied it with a 100% cotton applicator pad and when I buff it off, I created about a million scratches.  WTF did I do wrong?  I use these same towels for my two cars and no scratches are created.  The Meguiars PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish shows a motorcycle windshield on the bottle and I even called Meguiars up and they stated my towel could have done the scratches not the polish I used.

I asked if the cleaner/polish I was using was abrasive and they said no.  I know the warning sticker near the windshield says do not use abrasive polishes.

I am calling Meguiars back on Monday to find out what they will do.

Thoughts?  Any other product out there that can get the scratches out?   The link below even shows the picture I am talking about.

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_detailpage.cfm?product=PlastX-Clear-Plastic-Cleaner-&-Polish&sku=G12310&sectionID=58101

·
Registered
745 Posts
Had dust settled on your wind screen? If so, that is your culprit. Don't sweat it. If it gets used at all, it's gonna get scratches. Just wait til a piece if gravel nicks it at highway speeds. Use some ultra soft terry cloth towels from Advance Auto Parts and some KawiCare from Kawasaki next time. ;)

Good luck.

Kevin

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No dust, I had just washed the bike in the garage.

Anyway know what a replacement windshield costs, I am going to make Meguiars replace it.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
ZMax650S said:
No dust, I had just washed the bike in the garage.

Anyway know what a replacement windshield costs, I am going to make Meguiars replace it. 
60$. Good luck with making them pay....

·
Registered
326 Posts
Towels can indeed scratch plastic windows. Even a clean towel can scratch.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
It depends if you want a perfect jewel that every one steps back and admires.

Or do you want a bike to ride ...

If you want both, it will be never ending battle between your pocket and your temper.

I got a new bike, can't wait for that first scatch to happen so I can get over the "new" thing
and start riding. If you got a K5 "S" model, I will sell you a pristine stock windshield.
I replaced mine with the Zook extended model.

For me the choice is easy, as someone else has in their sig file ... A motorcycle is a tool

O

·
0 Posts
You had better look at the bottle of meguire's before you go raise hell. As you might have figured out by now, not all plastics are the same. If you used a product for PMMA (plexiglass) on polycarbonate (lexan or bullet proof glass), or the inverse, you will surely scratch it up. Make sure what your new windshield material is, and then make sure what the plastic cleaner is designed for before you go raise hell to save face.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts