Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a new chain and I want to make sure I cut the right number of links off. Where should the rear axle be when you measure the slack in the chain. I know the chain will get strech so should it be forward of half way??? The chain I am putting on has a masterlink with a clip so I don't need to be able to push the wheel forward to get the chain off. So I guess that means you could have it all the way forward>>that doesnot seem right though. Please help.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
How many links does your old chain have? I'd go with the same unless you're changing gearing a lot. If it's only one or two teeth, then you can probably get away with the same number as the old one.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I am going from a stock chain and gearing to a 520 chain with one down and two up gearing so it is pretty different.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
One down in front, and two up in the rear? You could probably get away with stock #, or maybe 2 additional links. Heck, do it stock+2, and if it's too long, take the two off. It's easy to take the links out, not as easy to add them back in.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the sprokets on and the chain is on just not with the clip snapped ont he masterlink. My question is where should I have the rear axle. Will haveing it in the middle of the tension adjustment (forward/backward) give me enough room to take up the slack as the chain streches??? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts