Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How the heck do I measure some new brake lines for my 2005 GSXR 600 front end swap?
My stupid nissin master cylinder for my front end leaked all over my new front fender and disintegrated :( and now I neeed a new one with some new lines that fit.
Is it from the fitting to fitting or only from the actual plastic line itself?
I have Apex clip ons with a 3 in rise.
The current lines were about an inch from hooking in which didn't account for turning the steering. This was set up with the clip ons have no rise.
I think i need an additional 4 to 5 inches.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Do this since you have a 2nd gen:

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152812&highlight=

Ignore the title, put look at post 38.

I used my S length lines and they now work with my handlebar swap which is a little bit higher than the 3" clipons you have.

I have quite a bit of free slack with the bike on the ground and at full lock. With the front wheel in the air, I still have about .5-.75" slack.

Take a quick look at that thread and ask here if you have any questions.

This is of course assuming you have aftermarket brake lines. With stock lines I would get the same length as N lines.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Do you have aftermarket lines or still the stock ones?

Not 100% sure, but I would assume eye to eye. So middle of the fitting to middle of the fitting.

I would also ask the vendor you buy the lines from how they measure it so you get lines exactly how long you need them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have aftermarket lines or still the stock ones?

Not 100% sure, but I would assume eye to eye. So middle of the fitting to middle of the fitting.

I would also ask the vendor you buy the lines from how they measure it so you get lines exactly how long you need them.
I have the stock ones that came with the 05 gsxr front end.
the clip on mounts were all the way up touching the upper triple and the bars were at their lowest setting, resting on the mounts.
I feel like if I had an inch more The adapter would have fit to master cylinder but I don't know if that accounts for too much play. So that's why I was thinking something around 4.5 inches added.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Uhm.. Still how do I measure the lines?
Hey, how about an actual answer?

I use romex electrical wire. It's stiff, yet still bendable and I have a ton of it sitting around. I'll usually get the front end up off the ground to make sure I have enough slack at full extension. Route the romex where I want the brake line to go and then measure it.

In your case, "n" length lines would probably work just fine if you want to avoid the extra cost of custom length lines.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, how about an actual answer?

I use romex electrical wire. It's stiff, yet still bendable and I have a ton of it sitting around. I'll usually get the front end up off the ground to make sure I have enough slack at full extension. Route the romex where I want the brake line to go and then measure it.

In your case, "n" length lines would probably work just fine if you want to avoid the extra cost of custom length lines.
I would definitely like to avoid the extra cost. How would I be able to insure they were compatible? I have a 2005 GSXR front end on, but I have all the fittings (washers) for the GSXR brake hose.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would definitely like to avoid the extra cost. How would I be able to insure they were compatible? I have a 2005 GSXR front end on, but I have all the fittings (washers) for the GSXR brake hose.
Remember that the length should be measured unsprung. In other words, make sure your front forks are fully extended when you mock up the lines. I like to use old tv coaxial cable. Once I have the approximate size, I would measure the length of the cable. Measurement is generally taken from eye to eye on the fittings on each side of the line.

Make sure you're not being pennywise and pound foolish. If you buy naked lines and they are too short/long, you will end up needing to buy custom lines anyway.

·
Registered
125 Posts
How would I be able to insure they were compatible? I have a 2005 GSXR front end on, but I have all the fittings (washers) for the GSXR brake hose.

N length lines; 08 GSXR forks; with bars even; perfect amount of slack.
So they should work just fine with riser clip-ons.

Banjo bolts and washers from the GSXR line will work just fine.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Remember that the length should be measured unsprung. In other words, make sure your front forks are fully extended when you mock up the lines. I like to use old tv coaxial cable. Once I have the approximate size, I would measure the length of the cable. Measurement is generally taken from eye to eye on the fittings on each side of the line.

Make sure you're not being pennywise and pound foolish. If you buy naked lines and they are too short/long, you will end up needing to buy custom lines anyway.
+1
IF you end up an inch or two short, you can always run the line on the outside of the lower triple rather than the stock routing. It's not as pretty, but it works.
Better to just follow the above advice though.

If you don't have existing cable laying around, you can also buy a tailors measuring tape and follow the line routing you want from MC to each caliper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts