Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 301 Posts

· Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to host a Maintenance Day on Saturday 4-17-10. Start at about 10am till whenever all the work gets done. I plan Hamburgers and Hot Dogs, as always, If you could bring a something great if not that's OK as well.

PM me for address and phone number if you don't have it already or forgot.

If you need tire changing stuff you'll have to arrange that with Jason and/or Brad. I have pretty much any tool needed except a chain breaker/riveter.

· Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Lew! Not sure if I could make the whole day but I'll stop by at some point. I'm in need of some serious help before then though, my rear brakes are pretty much not functioning. Would anyone here be available to help me before the 17th as I probably shouldn't wait that long to get that checked out. Either that or a bike shop that won't take three weeks to finish it.

· 45% Member
16,091 Posts
You know I'll be there.

Yes Lew, thanks for the Maint days. They are always a good time. And considering the number of people and bikes involved, suprisingly productive. ;D

If there's time and intrest, I'll lead a ride after. You know, gotta get a shakedown run in after you change stuff.

· Lifer
7,826 Posts

· Registered
26,738 Posts
Yeah, I agree. I had no clue he was contemplating that one until he called me to tell me he wanted a bike. Of course, a year ago, when he told me he was interested, I recommend the GS500 or EX550. He's a WRX owner. And he's suped it up like crazy (doing most of the work himself). What more could you expect?

· Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brad, that's fine. There won't be a SV in my garage this time. You can bring anything you want, I have a gas grill and don't know how to grill over coals, so of you bring it you are in charge of that.

I'm glad he at least got the '02 prior to that the FI was a real hand full. Did you try to steer him over to BBO?

· Registered
654 Posts
I am trying to talk the little lady into letting me cut a few hours into my day to come by. I would be interested in changing out my brake fluid as I have about 5,000 from stock.

Can anyone give any suggestions on where to pick some up, how much (quantity) and which brand is recommended?

Do you all have the tools to help me complete this? I have the Clymer manual.

Thanks, Chris

· Registered
768 Posts
I'll be there fo' sho! I'll put in a note at work tomorrow saying I cant work that day.

So now my question is, how can I help? I have tools I can bring like torque wrenches, hex keys that attach to ratchets. I have a lot of tools, too many too list. Ask and I'll see if I have it and I'll bring it if possible. I could pitch in $$ for food.

Lew, do you have a rivet tool for connecting the rivet on chains? I remember someone said they had one, but I forget who it was. I dont have any issue with the sprockets, but I could use some help with hooking up the new chain and adjusting it.

I am trying to talk the little lady into letting me cut a few hours into my day to come by. I would be interested in changing out my brake fluid as I have about 5,000 from stock.

Can anyone give any suggestions on where to pick some up, how much (quantity) and which brand is recommended?

Do you all have the tools to help me complete this? I have the Clymer manual.

Thanks, Chris
I personally just keep bleeding the brakes, fill the reservoir, and bleed more, and more and more until I feel confident that all the old fluid is gone. My bike still had the original brake fluid so as I bled it all I would get was this.. diluted sort of fluid coming out.. it was like a suspension. Kept doing it until the fluid turned clear, then I bled about 1 reservoir and a half. I stoped, and went to the other side except this time I didnt had to bleed as much, since the main system was pretty much clean, and all I had to do was get the unbled side of the system cleaned out.

I personally got a 32 oz bottle of Valvoline synthetic brake fluid for DOT 4 & 3. Not really a specific reason behind it, other than the fact it was on sale, and I see a lot of people use valvoline brake fluids, and it's a brand I trust. If you dont race or anything, you'll be happy with it. And I had some left. Probably enough to flush the rear brake, which I never did since I plan on rebuilding the caliper.

I personally have to bleed my brakes, as I have some air in it, and my braking really sucks because of it. So maybe I can help you out, and u can help me out.

· Registered
5,226 Posts
Well I don't have a bike to bring, but if you guys don't mind I'll be happy to show up, bring some food, and lend a hand. :)

· Registered
654 Posts
Thanks for the input fellas, I will look for the DOT-4 stuff this week.

As said, I am trying, but we are having out of country guests in for a few days so I have to see what is specifically planned.

Chris

1 - 20 of 301 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.