Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is an SV forum, but it is a knowledgeable bunch, and people seem to respond pretty quick over here. I haven't gotten much input on the CBR forum, so I figure I'll post my problem up over here and see if you guys can give me any input. Here's the deal...

A guy I work with had his buddy's bike in his garage. It's a 2003 Honda CBR600RR. The guy bought it a little over a year ago, and went down a few days after he bought it, with no insurance. He was afraid to ride after that, and the bike sat in my buddy's garage since then. Some plastic is damaged and needs replaced, but the damage is pretty minimal. My buddy says he starts the bike and even rides it once in a while, so it isn't just sitting there. I went to look at the bike a few days ago and it starts right up. I ride it for about 10 minutes, and everything is fine. So I agree to buy it for $3200 and go to pick it up last night. We start it up, roll it towards the truck, and it dies and won't start again. I guess my buddy put some 87 octane in so it wouldn't run out of gas, but I doubt that's the problem. We put a few gallons of 92 in, just to be sure, and nothing. I ended up buying it still, but renegotiated and got it for $2600, since I assume it's only a small problem, considering it ran great 3 days earlier.

Got it home and dropped the radiator to check the spark plugs. The bike has 4 separate ignition coils. I stuck a screwdriver in the end and put it across the cylinder head, and didn't see any spark. Pulled a spark plug and put that to the cylinder head and got nothing. So I'm pretty sure I'm not getting any spark. Any ideas? I don't really know where to go from here.

Hope somebody can help. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
You check your main fuse? and all the other fuses and relays? It's probably something simple, maybe the voltage regulator also. Theres no way four coils are going to burn out at the same time.

Check the main fuse "probably a big 30 amp" and the ignition/ecm fuse and get back to us.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You didn't mention anything about the battery? Did you check and make sure you had a good charge? If so get a volt meter and start checking I guess. I'm no mechanic so listen to everyone else...

Also might want to drain the tank and put new gas in...

Chet

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't think it's the battery. It cranks real hard, and I've had it hooked up to a charger. Plus it started right up when I got there, but then started idling rough and died. Wasn't like we shut it off and then couldn't get it to start again.

I checked the fuses and they were fine, but didn't check the relays. I'm wondering if there aren't more fuses that I missed too, because I don't really remember seeing an ignition fuse or anything like that. Although I would think they would all be in the same spot.

I'm really learning how to take a lot of stuff apart on this bike already lol.

Thanks for all the quick responses. Already more than I got on the CBR forum. Keep the ideas coming!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
That's great that you're not afraid of taking stuff apart. You'll have it running in no time.

You may *think* it's not the battery, but I'd have it tested if I were you. Or at least try running the bike with a battery that you know for sure is good. Any battery that's been sitting that long without being used or hooked up to a tender could be useless at this point. Start with the simple stuff and eliminate them first. Because if you get into the nitty gritty only to find out it was the battery all along you're gonna be kicking yourself. I'm speaking from experience here. Haha.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Whatever it is, it's something electrical and before the coils in the electrical system......if it's turning over and everythings lighting up I'm betting it's a relay, fuse or it could be the voltage regulator.

If you have a test light or voltmeter check the leads going into the regulator/rectifier and check to see if there is power coming out to the coils when you turn it over.

·
Registered
551 Posts
the first gen 600RR is notorious for having very strange symptoms when having a low/dying battery. my brother's used to have the marker lights behave like the headlights during the start-up procedure, only the rears were included in it. if he turned the high beam on, it would stall, except at mid-high rpm (this is what tipped us off to a battery issue). turned out his battery was almost completely dead had just enough juice to start the bike.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i noticed today that one of the wires to the clutch switch was off. i got all excited, thinking i found the problem. i hooked it up and tried to start it, and...... nothing. i must have just recently knocked that wire off, probably while removing the upper fairing.

i took the battery to the motorcycle shop, and they said it was bad, so i bought a new one. Tried jumping the bike off of my truck battery, nothing. I still need to pull the plugs again and check for spark to verify that the clutch switch wasn't the reason I didn't have spark before.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Don't forget to enjoy yourself. Seriously, I know it's frustrating, but look at what you are accomplishing. You are learning more about your bike than most of us ever think to know. I know how to do a few things, but when it comes to troubleshooting a problem I'm useless... Just trying to look on the sunny side of the street.

Chet

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Don't forget to enjoy yourself. Seriously, I know it's frustrating, but look at what you are accomplishing. You are learning more about your bike than most of us ever think to know. I know how to do a few things, but when it comes to troubleshooting a problem I'm useless... Just trying to look on the sunny side of the street.

Chet
That's really good advice.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, i know i'm learning. just wish i was learning how to ride better instead of learning to work on the bike lol. i mean at least I got the bike for dirt cheap, but I'm starting to second guess myself and think i should have just went and paid more to get something that runs already.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
yeah, i know i'm learning. just wish i was learning how to ride better instead of learning to work on the bike lol. i mean at least I got the bike for dirt cheap, but I'm starting to second guess myself and think i should have just went and paid more to get something that runs already.
I wouldn't focus on that too much if the rest of the bike is in good shape. This is probably something simple that just needs to be tracked down and then you'll be up and running. If there is a next time that something goes haywire you'll now have a better idea how to trouble shoot it from this experience. Keep testing away and let us know how it's going.

So you said you've gotten the new battery and installed and it's doing the same thing? Have you checked the voltage at the r/r yet?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Unless the battery had been recently replaced you probably needed a new one anyway. Get yourself a battery tender and use it.

Otherwise, just start with all the obvious/cheap stuff like safety switches, corroded connectors and fuses. After that, I'd probably check the R/R as the next most likely problem. They fail more often than you might think...

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me though. Doesn't that model have a pretty torquey power band (for a 600)?

And the others who mentioned it are right. The familiarity you get with your bike is worth the trouble. (But then, I think "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence" is a classic.)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no, i haven't checked the regulator of the kickstand switch.

i hooked it up to my truck battery and held a spark plug to the engine again, and this time saw some sparks. hard to tell if they were good, strong ones or not though. also noticed oil on all four plugs. i can smell gas through the muffler after cranking so i'm 99% sure it's getting fuel, plus there is fuel in the fuel rail. I pulled the tank fairing off and pulled the airbox. Looking down through the throttle bodies, the intake valves look prety gunked up on top. i'm starting to worry that it is a compression issue...

hope i'm wrong. I'm trying to keep in mind that whatever the problem is, it caused the bike to idle rough for a few seconds before dying. and also the fact that it seemed to run fine just a few days ago when i test rode it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts