Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been riding an 06 sv650s for 5 years and 25,000 miles. i use it to commute pretty much exclusively. 20 miles of windy back roads with a short 10 mile stretch of curvy state hwy each way. its a great motorcycle commute. lots of 15-25 mph "posted" corners to carve around and big 45-55 mph "posted" sweepers on the state hwy.

i'm thinking of getting an 07 +/- fz1. why? i dont know. maybe to try something new, satisfy a desire for more hp. i think modifying it a bit over the next few years to get all the absurd power that is available from that engine would be fun. it could end up being the fastest vehicle i ever own.

anyway, reasons to not get one include the reported lack of torque compaired to the sv. but looking at the dyno charts tells me it has more torque across the whole rpm range. from idle to redline. if i'm missing something on this please correct me.

the other resons include poor mpg and faster tire wear. i'll likely end up keeping the sv at least untill summer just in case i dont like the new ride and to get a better price durring the heart of the riding season.

if anyone has traded their sv for a i4 or owns/ed a fz1. let me know your opinions.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I debated on a FZ1 before I got the SV.

Short and sweet...the FZ is strong, it was more bike than I needed to ride daily. That I4 hit is like dope to a junkie.

YMMV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have owned a 2003 SV-1000N since I bought it new in 2003. Heavily modded to suit my riding style. Also owned a 2002 FZ-1. The Suzuki does everything right. The Yamaha is a terrific bike, improved with the later models (post 2005) via EFI. My suggestion is to move up to a low miles, well-tended SV-1000. You will have gobs of power and torque and a bike that is very similar to what you've ridden for a good while.
Ralph

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you're curious about the FZ1 then you owe it to yourself to check it out first hand. I4 behaves and feels quite differently from twins even when they have comparable specs on paper. You can read about them all you want, but after you've owned both types then you KNOW from experience instead of from what others say. Anyway, trying out new bikes is one of the most exciting things so go for it.

When people say a literbike lacks torque it's usually relative to other literbikes, and often related to the very tall factory gearing for street riding. Even my ZX-10R hesitates for an instant right off idle (before it explodes into action) because it's geared so tall. It's an easy fix (lower the gearing) for people who absolutely want the most bottom end torque, but I happen to like the long leggedness with tall gearing.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
A friend had an '02 FZ1. It was a nice bike. You needn't worry about lack of torque or power. It has plenty of both.

The one thing I have to add to the above comments is that the I4 1000's can take more effort to ride quickly. They don't flick from side to side as easily as a smaller I4 or even a 1L V twin. The plus is that they tend to handle sweepers better at speed.

I rode my friend's FZ1 on a few occasions, but I never rode it on really twisty bits. It was very smooth and comfortable - the kind of bike that will eat up the miles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got 30k on my 07' SV1 and I have loved every mile. On that note I have a friend I ride with occasionally who rides an 07' FZ1. We swap from time to time, and the FZ1 will own the SV1 in the straights. In the twisties I think my SV1 is a bit quicker because it seems pull a bit harder on the way out of the turns. Either bike is a killer choice, but for me the V-Twin is it... there is no substitute! ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just sold an '07 FZ1 last weekend. I bought it a few months back intending to be a more practical replacement for my Aprilia RSVR. It didn't take long for me to realize the I4 just isn't my speed. Top end rush is tremendous, but as a street bike, it will seldom be ridden that way - at least not by me these days. Low and mid-range power isn't lacking, but a litre twin is much more user-friendly for normal street riding in city traffic.

Like all I4's, the FZ1 has that 2X RPM buzz that tingle my thighs and my butt, which annoys me to no end. V-twin shakes but doesn't buzz. In FZ1's defense though, it feels higher quality than the SV. Bits and pieces fit better, more purposely designed, and looks more expensive. The guage cluster is one example. The seats are another. FZ1's rider seat unlatches with a flick of a hidden lever, which is accessible when the pillion is removed. FZ1's seats are also contoured, wider and better shaped than SV's blocky perches. In stock form, FZ1's suspension is far better sorted than the SV1K.

In the end, there is no right or wrong, only personal preference. I much prefer the thump of the V-twin. I bought the '07 SV1K knowing I'll have to spend some money/time upgrading the suspension. But that's fixable. There ain't nothing I could've done to make me like that I4.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The FZ1 is a great motorcycle. While I don't own one, I have taken a look at a 2nd gen. and rode it before looking at the SV-line. It took a lot of illogical thinking (and some reasonable thinking) to talk me out of buying it.

The "poor" gas mileage and tire wear seem to vary from riding style to riding style, but might not be as bad as you think they are. It puts more power to the ground and weighs more, so I kind of expect a "bigger" (power and weight) motorcycle to perform worse than a "smaller" one in gas mileage and tire wear in general. I know that is not the case for all of the bigger motorcycles, but some seem to fall under that when compared to smaller motorcycles; and riding styles can throw the difference right out of the window.

I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the input. good points.

I'm going to give the fz1 a try. it's an itch I need to scratch right now. it looks like a great bike for me and I can have a bunch of fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
569 Posts
I rode a Gen 1 FZ1 while I owned my ZRX1100. The ZRX had a little more low end, but the FZ1 was a missle above 6k rpm. Very smooth too. Don't be concerned at all about the FZ1 "down low". It will pin your ears back faster than you can imagine if you launch in its happy zone. It's a very fast bike.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My bro own a 03 fz1. When we got it, we were amaze by it. It is much more comfortable then the sv. There are plenty of torque down low. I can spend the whole day riding below 3k rpm and have 50mpg. Its great! Especially after we rejet it for higher altitude to suit where we live. Love the sound of it after the added slip on exhaust. Still very quiet. I4 is much smoother than vtwin. The only draw back is that its a heavy bike. There are cheap and/or free suspension mod that you can do. Its worth test riding even if you are thinking about other bike. Btw the second gen is a bit rougher.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
132 Posts
I rode a Gen 1 FZ1 while I owned my ZRX1100. The ZRX had a little more low end, but the FZ1 was a missle above 6k rpm. Very smooth too. Don't be concerned at all about the FZ1 "down low". It will pin your ears back faster than you can imagine if you launch in its happy zone. It's a very fast bike.
If you rejet that fz1 it will be a missle everywhere.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
60 Posts
OP has an '06 SV650 now, so he would be best going with GENII FZ1 with FI, preferrably 07+. There are quite a few of them for sale used, so finding a good deal isn't hard. I dunno about GEN1, but GEN2 FZ1 only weighs a little more than the SV1K. To me, it felt about as light on its feet as the SV1K. Then again, coming off the Connie 14, both felt like a Ninja 250.;D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i am looking for a gen 2 fz1. there are a few for sale in my area. with winter closing in, i think i can get a goos deal.

also, i'll look into the ninja.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think it's a good bike, when the power curve hits you won't be disappointed over your SV650. If you are very use to the power delivery of your SV650 then I also recommend an SV1000/S. A naked will prob be a lot more comfy than an S model.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I think it's a good bike, when the power curve hits you won't be disappointed over your SV650. If you are very use to the power delivery of your SV650 then I also recommend an SV1000/S. A naked will prob be a lot more comfy than an S model.
I've got 1000N rearsets on my S, so its not as radical, ergonmics-wise. Its a K3 so its a bit harsh. Just throwing options out there.

·
Registered
698 Posts
thanks for the input. good points.

I'm going to give the fz1 a try. it's an itch I need to scratch right now. it looks like a great bike for me and I can have a bunch of fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Everybody's making this way too complicated...

1. The FZ1 is bigger than an SV650, so it's going to have more torque.

2. The FZ1 has more cylinders than an SV650, so it's going to have more horsepower.

Regarding all other minutiae, it's up to you to give one a try!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts