Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles can a typical SV650 good for before replace the engine?

No stunts. No racing. Highway-street riding. Long/short trips.

I max miles I have seen on an SV650 is about 38k.

·
Registered
496 Posts
There's someone on the board with over 100,000 on an SV650... and several with 60,000+ miles.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
~100,000 if it is well cared for, but this is pretty variable.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
It amazes me that anyone would worry about this.If you take care of it the mileage won't matter.I know I have a 1000 w/24,000 on the odo.It has been at the track quite a few times and I ride the pi$$ out of it and it runs just like it did when I first got it.The maintenance has been done by the book.

·
Premium Member
4,846 Posts
Living in the PNW (where riding is out for at least 4 or 5 months due to weather) I doubt I'll do enough miles to wear out my SV.

So that brings up three questions: Can you ride year round? How many miles do you ride per year? And, what motorcycle would be a suitable alternative for longer life than the SV?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have 12k on my 08. I expect at least 50k without any major problems.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
My mechanic has a 2000 SV650 with over 175,000 miles (as of last week), original engine. Unfortunately, there is no proof in a photograph because he has had to replace the instrument cluster 3 times--and not in a good way. He used to be a motorcycle courier and now races and runs a repair shop.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts

50k club member here.

·
Registered
722 Posts
i have a 99 with 74xxxkms on her and still going strong
Me too. All usual maintenance done. Regular oil changes with OEM filters and Shell Rotella T (well, for at least the last third of those miles).

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I had 214k on my 78 honda hawk. If a motorcycle is taken care of there is no reason it can't get extremely high mileage similar to small cars. One factor besides maintenance is engine stress. I am pretty sure that a 60hp engine pulling something that is 600lbs (add wieght of rider) receives less stress than a 124hp engine pulling a 2400lb car. That is a Saturn estimate btw, and there have been saturns reach teh 1,000k mark. Just my opinion here though

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everyone for the replies. I just wanted to get an idea what we can expect from sv650 engine before it craps out.

I have 5k on a 06 sv650. i can ride 10months in a yr. riding mostly for leisure no track or stunts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts