Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Jardine mid-pipe and canister on the way. I'm wondering if I can use any other brand of aftermarket header pipe(D&D, Yosh, FMF, etc..) with my new Jardine mid-pipe to make it a full aftermarket exhaust system? It looks like all aftermarket header pipes are the same. By what I have seen most aftermarket header pipes seem to be all the same diameter/length and look to be interchangeable. But I'm thinking about just having a set of header pipes made by a local exhaust shop as the pipe/bends are pretty simple to fit the new after market Jardine mid-pipe I ordered to save some money over buying a name brand header pipe. Has anybody mixed aftermarket header pipes and mid pipes to make a full system? Or has anyone had a set of header pipes made by a local shop to mathc the larger diameter of the aftermarket mid-pipe? Rather than buying aftermarket header pipes to complete my exhaust system?

So what I'm asking is can I connect just FMF header pipes to my Jardine mid-pipe to make a full exhaust system? Or to save some money I might have a local exhaust shop bend me header pipes to fit my Jardine mid-pipe. I think I could have asked just that and made it simple, I was in a hurry before. Maybe that cleared up the original post a bit??....

·
Registered
832 Posts
I am not understanding your question. You want to replace the factory headers for a custom setup instead of cutting off the stock can and bolting on the midpipe?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not understanding your question. You want to replace the factory headers for a custom setup instead of cutting off the stock can and bolting on the midpipe?
I rewrote the original post, I was in a hurry to leave and was curious if I could mix brands or was it cheaper to just have some made. Read it and see if it makes sense now. I apologize for that.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I am not sure if all aftermarket systems are the same or even use the same diameter pipe. I would be cautious of having some local place make them for you. Be sure they use stainless and the pipe is not some ridiculously thick gauge that would make it really heavy. If you can source a set of aftermarket headers it would be easier to just fabricate the midpipe if it did not fit rather than fabricating headers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure if all aftermarket systems are the same or even use the same diameter pipe. I would be cautious of having some local place make them for you. Be sure they use stainless and the pipe is not some ridiculously thick gauge that would make it really heavy. If you can source a set of aftermarket headers it would be easier to just fabricate the midpipe if it did not fit rather than fabricating headers.
That's what I wanted to find out. If I even got the pipe I'm sure they could bend it for me, they are great and I've been going to them for years. I still hope someone has maybe pieced a system together and has some info, and find a used set of header pipes on here or Ebay, etc...I'm sure each brand is a little bigger or smaller in diameter but couldn't see why they could be made to fit without destroying them or the finished product looking ridiculous. Or just be happy with the 71 HP it makes and not worry about the couple more it might make with a full system...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
FYI: your sig says CBR100RR ;)
Yep, also says 2003 SV650S..I've had that one for 2 years, just passed this 650 sitting along the road and decided to pick it up too. Top pick is when I saw it for sale, bottom 2 are the CBR and The SV at my house..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So anybody ever tried to see if you could match up aftermarket header and mid pipes to make a full system?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts