Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Del Amo Motorsports quoted me $200+ for a new rear sprocket and about $100something for a new chain, I couldn't believe that sh1te, what do they think, I was born yesterday? Jesus christ.

So anyway I'm just going to have them do my tires while I wait tomorrow and order a chain and sprocket online and then do it all ghetto style at home with straps holding up my bike and whatnot.

Any input on brands/reliability for a master link chain (not requiring me to buy a chainbreaker and riveter), or should I not trust the master link and just get the riveting setup? I am thinking Ebay tomorrow but if anyone has input I'd love to hear it.

Any input on brands or places to buy a stock style sprocket without paying the ridiculous stocker prices?

No sponsored sites please, and dont try to sell me Progressive insurance... kthx bi

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Get a rivet link, not a clip-style master link.
Clip style will be good enough to get from your garage to a shop with a rivet tool and have them install a rivet link.

You think stock sprockets are ridiculous? $38 for a rear sprocket isnt ridiculous, its very reasonable.

I'd link you to some places but you said no sponsored sites so I'll just let you find them on your own. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
There are so many sponsors now, I can't keep them straight. Especially since I don't look at the ads. :)

And since you requested "no sponsored sites please", I'll let you find that chain and sprockets on your own.

I paid around $180 for a chain, and both sprockets. I was able to borrow the rivit tool from a fellow SVRider.

I would recommend steel sprockets, for durability, but then you may interpet that as an attempt to sell you steel sprockets. :p So I'm going to recommend some Spacely Sprockets. If you don't like those, you could try Coswell Cogs. They are rather nice.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
856 Posts
i got the stealth/did sprocket combo for around 200 bucks,pretty trick. i'm installing them myself ,not rocket science, i don't know what you mean with straps and such,well i guess the first mods i did for my SV were frame and swingarm sliders and some motorcycle stands,that stuff is really necessary stuff,helps you fix stuff yourself instead of running to dealers all the time. Just one example a rear stand makes it SO easy to lube your chain you do it more often and there by not needing to get a new set quite so often.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
...No sponsored sites please...
What's the problem with a site sponsor?? A guy like Blair at SV-Racing-Parts, helps to keep the lights on in this place, owns an SV himself and is really helpful if you have any questions or problems. I fail to see the negatives. ???
FWIW, the chain and sprockets on my race bike came from Blair, service and prices were great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was just a dig because motosliders was on here awhile back talking smack about t-rex at half the price, I ordered t-rex and installed, they appeared high quality, then they performed well in what would have been a total wreck. Saved my lefthand controls, bars, tank, plastic, everything. Unfortunately my ankle did not have a slider installed and I spent all winter on crutches.

Anyhoo, no sponsored sites does not mean no sites. But Google is indeed one of my best, if not my dearest friend.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Edit: redraptor, nice find, thanks bro.

What I am asking is that you just not toss me a site sponsor, as that does not amount to advice with integrity. If I came to you asking for a reliable bullet to protect myself with from roving gangs of genocidal murderers and you recommended that I buy Svrider Brand Bullets, I would think I was an idiot for even asking you in the first place.

However if Svrider Brand Bullets are truly the apex of industry reliability and value, or it's truly a good and tried product you are recommending then of course I am interested anyway. Industry sponsorship of resource such as a motorcycling board does present a conflict of interest, and affects the credibility of that board's referrals and reviews.

I ride my SV every day, often under duress, in adverse road conditions and variable weather, and the choice of final drive equipment is a decision that could negatively affect my life. I want something strong, reliable, and not a ripoff.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Wow, I can't believe you guys not recommending any chain OR sprocket brands, just because I asked for no sponsored sites.

What I am asking is you just not automatically mention a "site sponsor", as that does not amount to advice with any integrity to it. However if it's a good product then I am interested anyway. I ride my SV every day and the choice of chain is a decision that could negatively affect my life.

So I am no better off than when I started out, except for the recommendation to get a riveted chain (thanks).
^Look up dummy^, 520 conversion kit with RK x ring chain, aluminium vortex rear sprocket and hardened steel front for $155 shipped.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^Look up dummy^, 520 conversion kit with RK x ring chain, aluminium vortex rear sprocket and hardened steel front for $155 shipped.
I thanked you doofus, but since the rear wears faster and I hate doing this job, I'm going to keep looking for a steel rear sprocket.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-SUZUKI-SV-650-OEM-SPROCKET-KIT-01-03-SV650_W0QQitemZ110372967681QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item110372967681&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1205|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Bought, done, thx.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,953 Posts
What's the problem with a site sponsor?? A guy like Blair at SV-Racing-Parts, helps to keep the lights on in this place, owns an SV himself and is really helpful if you have any questions or problems. I fail to see the negatives. ???
FWIW, the chain and sprockets on my race bike came from Blair, service and prices were great.
:) Check it out under the vendors section, The EK-SRX Gold Chain, (X-Ring Technology) and Both Sprockets, (Made in the USA), Hardened Steel Front, and Stonger than Steel, Black Hard Anodized Rear, your choice of sizes,

520 Conversion for $155 with $12 Flat Rate Shipping to your door, anywhere in the USA.

525 OEM Size, $170 with $12 Flat Rate Shipping to your door, anywhere in the USA.

Both Sizes with Rivet Link Master Link Included,

Let me know whenever you are ready,

Everything is in stock and ready to ship,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

520 Conversion Kite

·
Registered
127 Posts
i bought this set up from svracingparts. i am very happy with it. super competitive price, outstanding service, lightning fast delivery and from someone who supports SV racing and riding.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
.....aluminium vortex rear sprocket and hardened steel front for $155 shipped.
Watch out for the vortex aluminum rear sprockets, they're made of the metallic equivalent to french toast. If sprocket longevity isnt an issue for your then get aluminum, otherwise stick with a steel rear.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,953 Posts
Watch out for the vortex aluminum rear sprockets, they're made of the metallic equivalent to french toast. If sprocket longevity isn't an issue for your then get aluminum, otherwise stick with a steel rear.

:) True on the untreated Vortex or other untreated aluminum rear sprockets,

However the PBI Black Hard Anodized Aluminum Rear Sprockets are another story,

Lighter than steel, and they are advertised by Pit Bull as stronger than steel,

These are the ones we offer at SV Racing Parts,

They last and they perform really well,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
101 Posts
Edit: redraptor, nice find, thanks bro.

What I am asking is that you just not toss me a site sponsor, as that does not amount to advice with integrity. If I came to you asking for a reliable bullet to protect myself with from roving gangs of genocidal murderers and you recommended that I buy Svrider Brand Bullets, I would think I was an idiot for even asking you in the first place.

However if Svrider Brand Bullets are truly the apex of industry reliability and value, or it's truly a good and tried product you are recommending then of course I am interested anyway. Industry sponsorship of resource such as a motorcycling board does present a conflict of interest, and affects the credibility of that board's referrals and reviews.

I ride my SV every day, often under duress, in adverse road conditions and variable weather, and the choice of final drive equipment is a decision that could negatively affect my life. I want something strong, reliable, and not a ripoff.
If your that worried about the chain and sprocket, just get OEM from an online dealer they are usually cheap and they worked before on your bike :nana:

FWIW im not trying to be a [email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I favor OEM for sprockets and the aftermarket for chains. 1 set of sprockets every other chain replacement.

Chain is a 530 and readily available. I don't know how many links our bikes require but that info is easily found.

You will need some other tools for the top quality aftermarket chains as they no longer use master links. You will need a rivet tool to close the new chain and a really good chain breaker to get the old chain off.

Key to chain life is clean and lube it often. SOP for me is once a week when just banging around locally, daily when on a trip. Spray a rag till pretty wet with WD-40 and wipe down the chain then, up on center stand, 2nd gear at idle RPM and spray with a quality chain lube/preservative. I favor the Motul stuff as it doesn't fly off.

BTW frequent and proper adjustment also contributes to chain life although the latest chains seem to only require one adjustment at about 600 miles and nothing after till about 15K miles. They go pretty quickly after that though so it makes a good indicator that it is time for a new chain.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts