Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using thier stock sv master cyl with a radial gsxr front end? Or is it even possible?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I never did it, but it'll work. Not brilliantly though, it'd be a real shame to replace all those parts and keep one of the original limiting factors IMO.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
It should work fine.

The OEM SV brakes are such pieces of junk that testing of almost 80 motorcycles (with OEM stock tires) by professional riders only gave the SV the FOURTH SHORTEST BRAKING DISTANCE.

Testing done by Tony Foale, reported first in Motorcycle Consumer News. I have to agree. Of the dozens of motorcycles I've owned the SVs brakes are among the best.
http://books.google.com/books?id=84hF-qoR5I8C&pg=PT535&lpg=PT535&dq=motorcycle+stopping+distance&source=bl&ots=FYy4xGN6Nn&sig=JPv8rOyQsIk1QQ0UYIfAwOz2PGI&hl=en&ei=5m-4SYCdLYOftwefzdGpBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result#PPT535,M1

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
I did a 5/8 master on a radial 1000 front end, it was fine. Not as good as a Brembo, but fine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only reason i want to keep it is because i have shorty levers and don't want to buy one for the gsxr cylinder to match.

·
Registered
744 Posts
It should work fine.

The OEM SV brakes are such pieces of junk that testing of almost 80 motorcycles (with OEM stock tires) by professional riders only gave the SV the FOURTH SHORTEST BRAKING DISTANCE.

Testing done by Tony Foale, reported first in Motorcycle Consumer News. I have to agree. Of the dozens of motorcycles I've owned the SVs brakes are among the best.
http://books.google.com/books?id=84hF-qoR5I8C&pg=PT535&lpg=PT535&dq=motorcycle+stopping+distance&source=bl&ots=FYy4xGN6Nn&sig=JPv8rOyQsIk1QQ0UYIfAwOz2PGI&hl=en&ei=5m-4SYCdLYOftwefzdGpBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result#PPT535,M1
Sure, the SV brakes work, but they feel like wood. I didn't upgrade my front brakes to shorten my braking distance, but to get better feel at the lever, which I definitely now have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts