Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Master cylinder upgrade

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  zoltan 
#1 ·
I thinking of doing a master cylinder upgrade.

I think a Brembo will run me about $250 which is too much for now.

I was told a R6 2004/2005 was a good upgrade.

Does anyone know the piston size of this master? I know the Sv is 5/8 (15.9 mm) and I don't want to go bigger.

#7 ·
zoltan said:
You could use a conventional Brembo mc off of a Ducati. You can pick them up on eBay for about $60-$70. I put one on mine and there was a substantial difference, I just wish I would have done it sooner.

My review:
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=49029.0
Ok, but what is the piston size of the Duc one then?

And the original question still stands what is the MS piston size off a 2004/2005 R6?

This is important for calculating brake torque.

#9 ·
treoff said:
Ok, but what is the piston size of the Duc one then?

And the original question still stands what is the MS piston size off a 2004/2005 R6?

This is important for calculating brake torque.
I don't know. But if you buy one off of a twin rotor Ducati it will work, and it will feel much better than the stock SV mc.

#10 ·
I fitted a Brembo radial for a dirt bike. It's the small bore one, which Brembo recommend for single caliper, 4 or 6 pots. In practice it works very well but has a long action. Don't confuse it with softness, it's very linear. I found it a big upgrade on stock. I didn't really want a short throw lever, my clumsy mits need a bit of travel to get a good result :) But because they're recommended for dirt bikes, the sportsbike guys won't touch them- that makes them dirt cheap for what they are. Mine cost about what I'd expected to pay for an RC51 m/c, including switch and banjo, off Ebay. Very pleased with it.

#11 ·
whats the difference between brembo street and racing m/c?

#12 ·
Did you think to ask on the R6 forum? r6messagenet.com

zoltan, can you better describe the feel of your master? I feel like there is too much lever travel/effort with the stock SV. I have brand new pads, fluid, and the lever set on 1.

#13 ·
NOsquid said:
Did you think to ask on the R6 forum? r6messagenet.com

zoltan, can you better describe the feel of your master? I feel like there is too much lever travel/effort with the stock SV. I have brand new pads, fluid, and the lever set on 1.
I'll do my best, but if you can, just stop by and try it out!

It has about the same amount of travel as the SV mc did, maybe even a little bit more, but that was never an issue to me. The big difference is, with the SV lever I really needed to haul down on it to start getting some good bite out of it, and even then it kind of felt like pads weren't really grabbing the rotor. My friend's SV felt the exact same way, so it wasn't just mine. Once I put the put the Brembo on there, it suddenly felt like my pads had some real bit to them. I could stop faster, with more control, using less fingers and less force. Have you ever ridden with pads that had brake fluid on them? Remember the difference in brake power when you switch over to new pads? That's how it felt switching to the Brembo. It's a big difference, and well, well worth $60-$70 dollars.

Just remember, Brembo mc off of a dula rotor Ducati.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.