Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one know about the new law passed in MA, just wondering think its retarted riding w/o a helmet just wanted to know

·
Registered
82 Posts
When did they pass this law? I haven't heard about them even considering it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its been on the radio every day for the last few weeks, heard today that it passed just wondering if any one else has heard of it

·
OberKommandant
6,133 Posts
While I agree it's retarded to ride with no helmet, I also think it's retarded to have a law mandating helmet use.

How are all the stupid people going to kill themselves off if we keep making laws to protect them from theirselves?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya know, its like now we have to go even faster to off ourselfs and aim for a tree, instead of just falling off and smashing our brain buckets

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
what I hate is that you can get a ticket if you don't wear a seatbelt (at least here and in florida, from what I've heard) but they don't give a shit if you wear a helmet or not...who are they trying to get rid of then? :p

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I'm still amazed that suicide is against the law.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Pennsylvania rescinded its helmet law a couple of years ago.

Early indications are that there are now more disabling injuries and deaths, although the statistics are open to interpretation and a much longer and more detailed analysis is needed.

Personally, I think it's the most dumb-ass thing going. I've heard all the arguments about freedom and personal responsibility, but I also know that each and every one of us pays for disabling accidents and deaths. Perhaps the rule should be if you don't wear a helmet, they just pitch you over the guardrail like they do deer.

I suppose the same argument made against mandatory helmet use could be made against seatbelts, but again we all pay.

Mandatory helmet laws make us all safer, they eliminate the peer pressure issue and they are just good, common sense. Besides, for those who want that type of thing, it's another canvas to express themselves.

Wear your helmet, no matter what the law.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I live in mass and ever IF they rescinded the helmet law I am still wearing mine F**k all those idiots who stop wearing them!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I still dont agree. It may cut down on my visability but I dont think it makes THAT much of a difference. I have ridden my bike ONCE without a helmet and it scared the s&IT out of me so I have never done it again

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
There is no helmet law in Louisiana.  I still wear mine religiously, always have.  Since rescinding the law in Louisiana there has been a considerable increase in deaths, permanently disabling injuries, and traumatic injuries requiring extended and extensive surgury and rehabilitation.  The numbers year by year indicate the same thing: people were safer with the helmet law.

The numbers are repeated wherever helmet laws are rescinded.  The numbers always improve where helmet laws are enacted and enforced.  Riding (and driving) are priviledges, not rights.  Restrictions abound, and rightly so.  It's a shame that laws have to be passed to force people not to screw themselves up, but that's human nature.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Ivan I think you have taken one too many large june bugs and rocks to the head. Oh there is another point deeee deeee I am driving down the road them WHAMMMMOOOOOOOo a rock hits you in the forehead yeah that felt good!!!!!! Helmet help with saving your hearing, your facial looks which dont seem important to you. FOOK that helmet laws deter people from riding. If it deters someone from riding then they shouldnt be on a bike anyways. Obviously they dont care enough for the sport to just say fook it and wear a bucket. Hey if you dont wanna wear a helmet fine but I am sick of my healthcare costs going up because of stupid people crashing and being veggies for the rest of their lives and us paying for it!

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Ivan:

You are wrong. I doubt it anyone can convince you differently, but you are still wrong.
Study after study shows it. Furthermore, it doesn't take a study, just common sense.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
"Helmets kill more people than they save since they cut down on a biker's visibility."

"And full-face helmets are the worse since they cause skull fractures."

These statements are absolute sheit.

If you have factual data to back this up, bring it on.

If you don't want to wear a helmet, I can't stop you. But to float around crap like this is irresponsible bordering on criminal. If a rider were to choose to go helmetless because he believed this information was factual and died because of it, his blood would be indelibly on your hands. But you would never know it, and would continue on in your ignorant bliss (until some asshat pulled out in front of you, like in Dawn's recently well-publicized video, and then you would likely be dead or permanently brain-damaged.)

The facts overwhelmingly support that riding with a helmet is safer. Over a third of accidents that involve helmet contact involve frontal impact. States which have rescinded their helmet laws have large spikes in fatalities. A woman who was a major influence in getting Florida's helmet law rescinded died the day after the law changed from head injuries incurred in a motorcycle accident.

Please reconsider your position on this, for your own sake. If you choose to ride without a helmet, I wish you luck. But please don't justify your decision based on your previously mentioned reasonings, and be careful about encouraging others to go helmetless.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
i like living in a state where there is no helmet law, i usually wear one, but i also go for short rides tho the neighborhood without, like when you warm up the chain to relube, i believe in personal freedom, who's the law to say that you have to wear a helmet, it is weird that youm have to wear a seatbelt and not a helmet tho

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.