Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought that turning 25 and getting married would lower my car and motorcycle premiums. Apparently that's not the case. Any insurance people here please explain to me why.

*begin rant* > :(

I changed my Auto policy marital status to "married" and my 6-month premium went up $600. The motorcycle policy went up $90 a year. Without adding her to the policy.

So we decide to get a quote on combining our policies. No luck. Everywhere we've tried wants more than $3000 for six months policy with the highest deductibles. No medical or UI/UIM. Two 5 year old vehicles and a 2 year old motorcycle.

I'm confused.

We both have no accidents, no violations/tickets. Good credit (745 & 720 according to Experian). Address is the same. She's in college, I'm out of college. The agent I have talked to tried explaining to me that since we're married we're more of a risk, and that turning 25 has no effect on my premiums, it's when I turn 32. Yes that's right, he says 32. I call bullsh*t.

Companies we've tried to date:

progressive
esurance
state farm
bristol west
farmers
allstate
geico(outrageous)

Something is going on. I know my premiums keep going up everytime I renew, that's normal, but this is rape.

*end rant* > :(

·
Registered
350 Posts
Wow... I have my bikes with Progressive and pay 428 a year for a new SV1000 and a 2000 katana

I also have 2 new cars insured (Xterra and Lancer) and I pay 1000 a year for them.

I am newly married and the wife and I are 27 and 27. I had an accident on my record last year when I paid the 1000 for the car and I expect that to dro pthis year when I renew.

Do you live in a high risk area or something?

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
dang your record must really suck. have kids that'll lower it.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Any married man can tell you; you're much more likely to become suicidal after you get married. ;) ;D

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Any married man can tell you; you're much more likely to become suicidal after you get married. ;) ;D
it's in the papers. Fineprint read the fineprint.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I pay 1,200 on a 03 SI and a 06 MPV for 6 months full coverage all bells and whistles. I am only 26 and my wife is 23 I have a DWAI on my record as well...

The bike I paid $125 for the year for basic... Something is up man your gettin quoted way to high you sure there is nothing on your record you don't know about?

·
Registered
459 Posts
have you ever heard the saying 'Married men live longer than single men, but married men are a lot more willing to die.'?

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can say that I am basically in your same position, I'm 28, wife 26. Neither have ever had an accident or ticket, and we only pay $50 a month for full coverage (and $500 deductible) for a 2006 car, and I pay something like $140 a year for insurance for my bike, including liability and comprehensive, but not collision.

Something is wrong, your insurance quotes are ridiculously high. Maybe you have something on your record that you don't know about (more likely your wife does and is embarrassed to tell you).

The agents should be able to give you a break down of why it costs so much.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I always thought that turning 25 and getting married would lower my car and motorcycle premiums. Apparently that's not the case. Any insurance people here please explain to me why.

*begin rant* > :(

I changed my Auto policy marital status to "married" and my 6-month premium went up $600. The motorcycle policy went up $90 a year. Without adding her to the policy.

So we decide to get a quote on combining our policies. No luck. Everywhere we've tried wants more than $3000 for six months policy with the highest deductibles. No medical or UI/UIM. Two 5 year old vehicles and a 2 year old motorcycle.

I'm confused.

We both have no accidents, no violations/tickets. Good credit (745 & 720 according to Experian). Address is the same. She's in college, I'm out of college. The agent I have talked to tried explaining to me that since we're married we're more of a risk, and that turning 25 has no effect on my premiums, it's when I turn 32. Yes that's right, he says 32. I call bullsh*t.

Companies we've tried to date:

progressive
esurance
state farm
bristol west
farmers
allstate
geico(outrageous)

Something is going on. I know my premiums keep going up everytime I renew, that's normal, but this is rape.

*end rant* > :(
haha, lots of good funnies in here.

But, seriously, if it were me to guess, I think it's because she is now a "legal" driver of your car. Even though she may not be covered under the insurance policy and covered under another, she's allowed to drive your car since she'll be living in your house.

When I purchased insurance for my own car while still living at my parents' house, they asked if my parents would be driving my car. Of course I asked "why?" and they said that it would increase the cost to add them on as drivers.

You may call your insurance company and ask if you can "exclude" your wife as a driver and see if that does anything?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
There has to be more to your story. I'm 27 and single and pay $700 a year for my SVT Focus (sounds like it should be cheap, but since it's a limited run car parts are scarce and somewhat more expensive than, say, a regular Focus or Civic) and $400 for the bike (which should go down a little once I go show them my MSF certificate and full license), both full coverage, with a fairly expensive (~$5000) at-fault accident claim on my record. Admittedly, I take public transportation to work, so I have the low mileage discounts on both, but still.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Something is definitely wrong here - I got married they sent me money back - although the wife took the money - hmmm for some reason that never stopped.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Maybe try American Family, if possible? I recently shopped for insurance, and they came back with the best quote on my Sprint: just over $600 for a full year with 100/300 liability, 100/300 un/underinsured and $1k deductibles on comprehensive and collision. That's for a single female, though, so YMMV, but at least it is worth a try?

Geico, FTR, wanted to rape me on my insurance, too.

·
Registered
276 Posts
What state you live in has a lot to do with it. Not sure if that is the issue with you, but my insurance jumped up significantly when I moved from NC, back to Alabama.

I pay $1765 per year, for full coverage with all the bells and whistles. Thats on an '05 F150 4x4 FX4 with a $500 deductable, and the '06 SV650s with $250 deductable. Both with Progressive. Both have GAP and Roadside Assistance, all that stuff. I am 36, and single. The rates dropped for me when I turned 27, and again when I turned 36. I used GEICO during part of that time. I suspect your state has some different laws.

For example, in NC, (at that time, it might have changed now), insurance companys could not charge you based on age. They could only go off of your driving record. In AL, they can and do charge based on age. In NC, I could base the policy on a year. In AL, I can only go 6 months.

Ask them to explain all the factors that contribute to the numbers they came up with.

Dan

_______

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
yeah thats not right.....although im not anywhere near your position(20 and not married) i only pay 160 a month for both my 03 svs and my frontier which are both currently being payed off

·
Registered
350 Posts
There has to be more to your story. I'm 27 and single and pay $700 a year for my SVT Focus (sounds like it should be cheap, but since it's a limited run car parts are scarce and somewhat more expensive than, say, a regular Focus or Civic) and $400 for the bike (which should go down a little once I go show them my MSF certificate and full license), both full coverage, with a fairly expensive (~$5000) at-fault accident claim on my record. Admittedly, I take public transportation to work, so I have the low mileage discounts on both, but still.
HA HA I had an SVT with Toms Turbo kit on it and everything. Small world.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Try Farm Bureau. We've had their insurance for 30 years and they gave the best quote when we were really young and first married.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts