Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else planning on attending this? I heard about it from another forum I'm a member of, and apparently March 13, 2009 is a national day when people will converge on their state capitals, as well as DC to protest the laws forbidding the sale/marketing of any bikes to anyone under 13 years old. Not sure if I'm supposed to cross post links to other forums, but here it is anyway:

http://www.rocketmadness.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33242

I'll be attending, and I hope the rest of you will as well.

:bs:

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Sounds good to me. I might cruise over to Capitol Hill on my lunch hour that day. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
What does this new restriction actually do? I've been to 3 different dealers in the past week or 2, and they all have at least 10 little dirtbikes on the showroom floor. 50's up to 125's, yamaha, suzuki, honda, nothing looks different.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does this new restriction actually do? I've been to 3 different dealers in the past week or 2, and they all have at least 10 little dirtbikes on the showroom floor. 50's up to 125's, yamaha, suzuki, honda, nothing looks different.
Remeber, the Dealers make way more money on Parts, Service, and Gear than they do on the initial sale of the bike, and if we can't buy the bikes, or parts, then there's no money in the gear either...

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
No way Jose.

The capitol of California is Sacramento...which is about 500 miles from here.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
It also restricts certain types of shared parts. So if your (adult) bike shares certain parts with bikes intended for kids, then you can't purchase the part for your own bike.

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
So what they can't make a 50cc bike with out huge amounts of lead in it/?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Still a lot of misinformation about this. The parts that cross to other bikes are available, but come with a disclaimer paper, yada yada yada.

Not riding to Montgomery to protest something that was done in DC. I did email my congressmen though. They are pretty good at responding to my communications, so hopefully I will have thier stances on the issue soon.

Dan

______

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
So is this everywhere? or just in certain places?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I just figured they would have pulled the bikes of the floor at the dealer. I'd like to get one of those little ones to romp around the yard on.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Too much mis-information.

you can still buy these bikes and parts. there won't even be guidelines for this policy until 2010.

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Then why are the manufacturers listing on their website that certain models are currently unavailable for sale due to this ban?

http://kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=11&id=339

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/478/0/home.aspx

"Originally the law was set to take affect on February 10, 2009. However, due to ongoing questions about the law's interpretation and implementation, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued a one year stay of enforcement for certain testing and certification requirements. Under this new timeline, manufacturers and importers of children's products do not need to test or certify the requirements set by the CPSIA until February 10, 2010. Please be advised that retailers are still expected to meet the lead and phthalates standards but will not have to test or certify that each product meets the new standard. This action follows an earlier decision on January 8, where the CPSC announced an exemption for resellers, determining that thrift and consignment stores are not required to test products prior to resale. As always, businesses that resell children's goods are encouraged to exercise judgment in removing noncompliant products and continue to follow all product recall advisements.
"

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm all for sticking together and telling the gov't they ****** up but March?? It still snows up here in March. Ask for my support in April ;D

Edit: Dur, going to be in Austin on March 13 anyways. Which is a capitol. But without a bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts