Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning on taking my wife's 2003 SV650 in for the valve adjustment and a tire change to a recommended local shop this weekend. BTW, she just put 5350 miles on it in a 18 day trip we took from GA to Boise and back. Pretty cool stuff. The mechanic recommended that we also swap out the automatic cam chain tensioner for a manual one for a smoother operation with less chance of chain slippage. The cost would be $55 for parts and 1/2 labor @$65/hr.

I haven't heard nor could find much info on this on the board. Is this job worth it and have there been instances of what he describes?

Thanks, Trent

·
Registered
606 Posts
We use them on our race engines. APE billet tensioners. They work and are strong.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I have "heard" of a lot of people "hearing" about these issues...but this is a forum. 99.8% (yes, that is accurate :) ) of the people on this board use stock tensioners. What I am saying is this...someone comes up with a new shock substiution and suddenly everyone has it. Someone claims the cam chain tensioners are bad, and noone does anything, risking possible engine damage. I dont think there is too much merit in needing manual tensioners. I know the design is different from the 99-02 to the 03+ models. The newer ones are a little more manual then the old. They both seem okay to me.
ac

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...so it seems as if for normal riding use they are probably not needed? Has anyone had to replace the stock before let's say 50k miles?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
twebb said:
Thanks guys...so it seems as if for normal riding use they are probably not needed? Has anyone had to replace the stock before let's say 50k miles?
I haven't had any problem with my cam chains in 115k, sure they make noise, no big deal, a manual tensioner is just one more regular maintenance task, IMHO tight chains are bigger danger to engine than a loose one, and a manual tensioner has more potential to be improperly tensioned

·
Registered
97 Posts
Stock tensioner: set it and forget it.

Manual tensioner: needs regular adjustments.

Also, you'll need two of them. One for each jug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the quick and informative replies. Looks like I will save around $180 by asking here first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts