Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last Thursday, I was driving about 350 so miles to get my bike up to school. About half way up to Gainesville, I crashed.

I am not sure one the details, due to hitting my head pretty good. I had on full gear so I don't have a single scratch on me! The bike isn't bad. Cracked plastics and busted rear brake pedal. The rearset bracket broke too, but I picked that up off ebay for $30. So If you have an extra you would like to sell me ;D

All things considered, I came out rather lucky. I remember having been run off the road (can't for the life of me remember why) and having to brake really hard. I was braking in a turn so I had to stand it up and I was going about 30mph when I ran out of road and the second I hit the grass, I was down.

Everything turned out well in the end. Damage is mostly cosmetic ( so If you have a Blue 2001 front right fairing, Sell to me ;D

Just wanted to share my crash story as it seem to be a some what regular post topic.

K

·
0 Posts
Glad you are alright man.

And cuncussions are a bitch, I have had several now and you just feel cheated...like someoen walked into your head and stole your memory.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok! Its always good to re-affirm the wearing of full gear!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ok this crashin things becoming an epidemic. Good to hear your ok.

·
Registered
500 Posts
As time goes by you will likely remember more and more form that day thought.

·
Registered
46 Posts
glad your alright!! I'll be in gainesville in two weekends, not sure if im riding the bike or not yet. yea i know that was totally off the topic :)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The one and only time I drove through Gainseville a woman pulled right out in front of my moving truck on the highwayand slammed on her brakes casuing me to rear end her. She was arrested for drunk driving, attempting to leave the scene, no insurance and a bunch of other stuff. :)

I don't have a lot of love for that town.

N

·
0 Posts
+1 on not getting hurt.

A motorcycle's natural state is laying on it's side soaking up money...

;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
+1 for not getting hurt.

Care to share with the group what type of gear you were wearing. I'm always curious to see , ahem, field tests of how the gear performs.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Helmet: HJC Ac-11 Zeek - Saved my dead for sure....
Jacket: AGV Breeze - only scratched and in one spot the stitching could stand to be redone.
Gloves: AGV Demon - Don't think they even touched the ground; as I see no damage to them at all.
Boots: Sidi strada evo Air - These took a beating!! The toe one is really bad looking, but I am told it is nothing but cosmetic... Great boot. The ankle support I though was lacking before, but after a 'real' test, it worked well.

I also had Nate's frame slider - again worked like they should. Saved me tons of money.

Thanks for all the support. I am back up. I am still waiting for part, but the bike is ridable with out them. The ego seems to be the most hurt due to not remembering much of the event.

Anyways - Always wear your leathers - even when it's hot!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Jared McDonley said:
All things considered, I came out rather lucky. I remember having been run off the road (can't for the life of me remember why) and having to brake really hard. I was braking in a turn so I had to stand it up and I was going about 30mph when I ran out of road and the second I hit the grass, I was down.
Sorry to hear of the crash, but bravo for standing it up while turning which was the right thing to do. It's refreshing to read that as opposed to the "I had to lay it down" folks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
In this situation standing it up worked out but each wreck is its own. What if he had hit a tree off the side of the road? Staying on the man made surface of the road when you have full gear on is often the best rout b/c you never know what is off the side of the road. More often than not there is something very dangerous out there.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Glad you are OK, BUT.....

..these accidents keep happening from lack of experience with the "what if's" of the road as well as being ready for the worst to happen. I am not perfect, far from it, and not trying to be all high and mighty, but I think a lot of these accidents can be avoided. When cars are anywhere near me, I am full defensive mode, being ready for anything to happen and already thinking about how I will react to it.

I don't know how much room you had, but you said you had to stand it up at 30 MPH....at that speed, proper braking, you should be able to stop in about 10 ft of room.

I think a lot more people need to find a good gravel free parking lot and practice some panic exercises..it really will prepare you for the "what if's"

·
Registered
500 Posts
The next big post around here will be......"I ran into a light pole" while working on my skills in a parking lot.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Kevin said:
The next big post around here will be......"I ran into a light pole" while working on my skills in a parking lot.
................. on a my Red SV. ;)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Kevin said:
In this situation standing it up worked out but each wreck is its own. What if he had hit a tree off the side of the road? Staying on the man made surface of the road when you have full gear on is often the best rout b/c you never know what is off the side of the road. More often than not there is something very dangerous out there.
How do you propose for someone to stay on the road surface during a bend?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts