Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont have money for an exhaust right now... i read one time that you can cut out the inner part of the stock exhaust for a throatier sound... just how the hell do ya do that?
thanks in advance ???

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the link... :-*

i think im gonna start with just the endcap removal and see how it sounds.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
the original restrictorectomy thread by Mr Black (revived by me after the server crash  ;) )
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=38130.0

D_C said:
thanks for the link... :-*

i think im gonna start with just the endcap removal and see how it sounds.
I think just cutting the whole encap off is probably going to make it sound like ass.  I've heard other sportbikes that cut off the endcap and hollowed out their stock can and they most certainly do sound like ass.  Plus, I think if you just cut the endcap off and leave the rest intact, you stand a good chance of the packing all blowing out the back.  Try the restrictor removal (with the caveat that you can afford to fix it if you mess it up!) alone first...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
482 Posts
gahdzila said:
the original restrictorectomy thread by Mr Black (revived by me after the server crash ;) )
I think just cutting the whole encap off is probably going to make it sound like ass. I've heard other sportbikes that cut off the endcap and hollowed out their stock can and they most certainly do sound like ass. Plus, I think if you just cut the endcap off and leave the rest intact, you stand a good chance of the packing all blowing out the back. Try the restrictor removal (with the caveat that you can afford to fix it if you mess it up!) alone first...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
+1. You'll be VERY happy with the results if you remember that you don't want to drop $$ in a new can. Take that restrictor out and watch the already apparent grin on your face turn into an outright Sh#t-eating grin! It's a great mod and takes a few hours and less than $20.00. But make sure you have a little extra $$ in case you screw up... that way you can buy a can online and make up for it ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gahdzila said:
the original restrictorectomy thread by Mr Black (revived by me after the server crash  ;) )
I think just cutting the whole encap off is probably going to make it sound like ass.  I've heard other sportbikes that cut off the endcap and hollowed out their stock can and they most certainly do sound like ass.  Plus, I think if you just cut the endcap off and leave the rest intact, you stand a good chance of the packing all blowing out the back.  Try the restrictor removal (with the caveat that you can afford to fix it if you mess it up!) alone first...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
right on yall, does anyone have a picture of the finished product? i was wondering if you had ground down the drill holes that left that jagged edge on the exhaust itself once the baffle has been removed...like take a rotory tool with a little grinding wheel on it and smoothed it out...
thanks again guys

·
Registered
108 Posts
D_C said:
right on yall, does anyone have a picture of the finished product? i was wondering if you had ground down the drill holes that left that jagged edge on the exhaust itself once the baffle has been removed...like take a rotory tool with a little grinding wheel on it and smoothed it out...
thanks again guys
I got a $2.29 grinder bit, put it in my drill and ground away the drilled edge. Don't let anyone stand behind it the first time you start it afterwards unless they like grinder dust.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
D_C said:
thanks again guys
I didnt. I just used a big flat head screwdriver to kinda smush them down in there a little bit. They are still slightly visible, but the gases from the exhaust have made them a little darker and harder to see (carbon build up?). Besides, IMO, who cares? Nobody can see it unless they squat down, bend over, and get their face up to the end of the can to look in. It is not easily noticeable at all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay, followed the "Destructions" and WOW, what an improvement. Thank you all, and have a pleasant day:)

·
Registered
744 Posts
How loud does it get? How comperable is it to a slip on?

·
Registered
482 Posts
zoltan said:
It's not going to get you quite to that point, but for no more than $10, it'll sound darn close. It's loud enough that people without a pipe will wonder what you've put on your bike; not loud enough to get the guy with the Yosh pipe beside you to notice your growl.

I tend to like the idle better on the de-restrictorized (new word) bike, but it's completely opinion. The growl from an aftermarket pipe when throttled is much louder and deeper though.

If you want louder, but don't want to spend or have the $$, it's worth it. I did it and love it. It allowed me to have the noise for now so I can save up a bit and buy the full system with the pc in 6mos or so.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Don't be scared to cut the can open and to a bafflectomy.:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
zoltan said:
all i can say is that it is a completely different animal, its funny to see people turn their head expecting to see a cruiser... i love it, and will allow me to either save for a real exhaust or put food on the table... :eek:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Part of my baffle came out with the restrictor, damn strong welds I might say. You should have seen the look on my wife's face as I went to work with that sledge.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL, my neighbor's jaw dropped ;D
anyway, perhaps tonight i can take a small digi video sound for a sound clip... how would i go about posting something like that? any computer savvvvvvy people here?

·
Registered
482 Posts
D_C said:
LOL, my neighbor's jaw dropped ;D
anyway, perhaps tonight i can take a small digi video sound for a sound clip... how would i go about posting something like that? any computer savvvvvvy people here?
Shoot, send it to me and I'll be glad to host it for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I heard that if you remove the baffle, the engine will become damaged because there is no longer back pressure from the exhaust. Is this true?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lokalboy83 said:
I heard that if you remove the baffle, the engine will become damaged because there is no longer back pressure from the exhaust.  Is this true?
no.

however... warning to all that is ready to do this... a big part of metal came off from inside the pipe (still connected to the restrictor) and now i see a 3" circle of heat discoloration on the outside of my pipe... as if the heat is closer to the stainless... very unhappy about that....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i have the video/sound clip done, just waiting one Zoltan to post,
or, give me your email and ill send it to you to host and post:)
its about 16 seconds long and about 8mb
thanks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts