Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the beginning of my riding season is soon approaching, I have a minor "issue". Last year, I decided to treat myself to a set of Spartan Leathers as a Christmas gift. I made all of the measurements exactly for the custom suit, and allowed a little extra space for a heavier back protector later as well.

My problem is, I decided to start a minor workout program, and actually started eating right. As a result, I am down from 235lbs when I was measured, to a much "leaner" 215-220 in the last 6-7 weeks. If I continue at the rate I'm going, I may make it to 205-210 before I start riding.

Is there any methods anyone can suggest for making leathers "snug up" a bit. They aren't that loose, as my basic frame was acurately measured, but could definitely use a little bit less "extra space" inside.

I have already added a thicker Bohn back protector, as well as heavier foam style armor in the arms.

I have seen some people soak the entire suit with water and go for a ride. Does this have any "shrink" effect? If so, our often wet spring may be a good opportunity for some rain rides, I suppose.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I doubt chlorine is very good for leather.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had been considering the "soak" method but was a little nervous about damaging the leather.

If anyone has "first hand" experience with this method, or succeses and failures that can expand our options, that would be great.

Should they be wet and allowed to dry on the rider or hung up and allowed to dry slowly?

Dependent, I may need to deal with the loose fit until warm weather or I will freeze trying to dry them on a ride.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Put'em on, go stand in the shower until they're soaked, towel dry them off, then let them dry on you. Go out for a ride if possible, otherwise (since you're in Alberta) hang out inside until they dry. Put some towels down on the sofa and watch tv or whatever.

They can only shrink up so much, though. Wear layers until they're too loose to be considered safe (I assume you'll lose more weight) and then it's time for another suit. If possible, depending on where you lost the weight, a good leatherworker can alter it for you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ask Suzanne, after she bought her leathers she got caught in a down pour. She told me her leathers fit a lot better after the ride.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ask Suzanne, after she bought her leathers she got caught in a down pour. She told me her leathers fit a lot better after the ride.
I love rain riding anyway, so that should work if I wait till it's warmer out.

where the heck is brooks? I'm in edmonton, we should go for a ride sometime.
Along Hwy 1 between Cgy and Med. Hat. I'd love to get an Alberta ride together. Maybe a loop from Calgary through Banff to Jasper and back through Edmonton. Great overnighter that would be about the same distance for everyone.

otherwise (since you're in Alberta) hang out inside until they dry. Put some towels down on the sofa and watch tv or whatever.
You ever tried relaxing on the couch with a speed hump jammed in your back, lol?

They can only shrink up so much, though. Wear layers until they're too loose to be considered safe (I assume you'll lose more weight) and then it's time for another suit.
I raised some of the weight I've been lifting, maybe I'll bulk up a bit instead of just "downsizing". Most of the weight has been in my belly. Thank goodness I'm working on my lower back as I no longer have something the rest against the tank for trips, lol.

Thanks again for all the help,
Darryl

·
Registered
756 Posts
most normal seamstresses won't have the machinery to work on suck thick leather. I had to go to a cobbler to get a seam fixed on my suit.

Just try the water thing. I think that's your best bet.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
most normal seamstresses won't have the machinery to work on suck thick leather. I had to go to a cobbler to get a seam fixed on my suit.

Just try the water thing. I think that's your best bet.
If you don't mind shipping the suit, there is an awesome leather girl right near me. www.lizzyleather.com

Maybe have a seamstress or tailor measure you up again and send the measurements to Lizzy.

She put a new butt on my Spartan suit (long story) and her prices are reasonable.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
stop eating right?
I was wondering how long till that came out! LOL!

If you don't mind shipping the suit, there is an awesome leather girl right near me. www.lizzyleather.com

Maybe have a seamstress or tailor measure you up again and send the measurements to Lizzy.
I might try that next winter after this riding season is through, depending on how the workout commitment goes this summer, and after a few wet/dry rain cycles.

Thanks to all for the responses, I may pm Dave a link to this thread, as well as others who've commented regarding the "soak and shrink'' technique.

Happy Riding!
Darryl

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Nothing a little BACON couldn't fix. ;D

Congrats on the weight loss. I hope you can reward yourself with new leathers to go with the new look. ;)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If you do get it taken in, it should help that the liner is removable. If you're not too concerned about looks, I don't see why you can't just pinch the leather and sew up the extra fabric. Keep going until it fits right. If you gain weight again, just cut the threads and you'll be back to the suits original size.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 30 Posts