Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve tried to follow “Andy Augur’s Clutch Mantra” but I think my bike is missing the barrel nut on the major clutch adjuster. Is there a way to still adjust it? I’ve attached an image.

·
Registered
630 Posts
You should be able to undo the top nut with the bottom nut tight. Then loosen the bottom nut all the way.
To adjust the main clutch release, make sure to loosen the cable enough that there's no pressure on it. Then follow the steps described (1/4 turn out) .
Finally tighten the cable enough with the top nut so the spring at the lever arm is slightly tensioned. That should bring the lever to the correct angle (see Pic). Then tighten the bottom nut while holding the top nut to lock it in place.
Then do the fine adjustments at your clutch lever perch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. So the barrel (long) nut is not needed in order to shorten the clutch cable? I was under the impression that it was. Based on what you’re saying I should just need to use the two lock nuts (top and bottom) to pull the threaded rod up in order to tension the lever arm (A in your photo) to the correct angle? Will this also help reduce the play in my clutch lever (I know I will also need the fine adjustment to perfect that part)

·
Registered
630 Posts
You still have a piece of flat metal bushing on top of your cable. I'd hold it with pliers if it moves too much.
When you turn in the adjuster at the clutch lever all the way, and follow the clutch mantra, you'll be pretty close. Then it only takes an inch of adjustment on the lever or so to get it perfect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts