Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my 2000 sv for about 8 months now and finally decided to do a full examination of the rear brakes. I was getting a very loud squeal after about 10 minutes of riding and it was driving me nuts. In addition, I realized I had gotten into the habit of double pumping the rear brakes whenever I needed them to work properly (not feel spongy). I went out and bought new pads, shims that were missing (inner and outer), and a steel braided brake line. I also bought a caliper kit (I think that's what it's called) just in case I needed to replace anything on the caliper. I've worked on cars forever and motorcycle brakes are pretty much the same. I also watched some videos in case there was something totally different that I was not aware of.

Anyway, job went as smooth as I had hoped and the caliper was in great shape (assume someone did work on it at some point). The pads were about 50%, but the back plates were worn down and cracking. The fluid was darker than I expected, but not as bad as I thought. The new pads and shims went on smoothly and the new braided line was a little bit of a fight, but not a huge deal. I went out and bought a brake bleeding kit at Harbor Freight (amazing place, my 1st time there today... spent more than I intended to), and the bleeding went great. I also got a new visor at Cycle Gear on my way to HF.

Once done I went around the block to test a bit, and HOLY crap what a difference. No more double pumping and they catch really nicely. After checking for leaks I headed down the road for a longer, faster ride and again HOLY CRAP what a difference. I assume this will make my tail breaking a little easier, and so far no annoying squeal or double pumping.

I read a ton on here about the steel braided brake line, but I figured for about the same cost, what the hell. Tomorrow I'm bleeding the front brakes and replacing the fluid only since I know there was some work done on them a little over a year ago (pads were replaced only).

In any case, loving my sv so far. I am getting a 2nd bike (Kawi Z900 ABS), but plan on using that one for longer trips and/or through the curvy's.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bumper

Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Drinkware Ingredient Liquid Fluid Mason jar

Wood Sports equipment Table Font Hardwood

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
817 Posts
Nice writeup Armando. I plan on doing the same thing next weekend on my 2000 N. My rear brake is dragging badly after riding for about 10 minutes. I imagine the caliper needs rebuilding. I also plan on installing a steel-braided line. What type of problem did you run into with running the brake line?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Geo Smith , thanks and no problem at all other than just a lot of seapage. Cover as much as possible and have plenty of paper towels around. Brake fluid seems to seap slowly without you noticing. Also make sure you drain as much of the old fluid out as possible. When I started to add fresh fluid, I noticed some of the old stuff (darker color) still coming out, so in essence did a second flush.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm so glad you have serviced and use the rear brake. A lot of modern riders don't use the rear brake enough and they end up seizing.I use mine all the time in traffic as it stabilizes the bike at slow speed.

On that subject everyone should watch this video IMHO.

I practice,"Emergency Braking" around once a month or more on a traffic free straight road with no side-roads this keeps my reflexes up and tells me how good my brakes are and how fast I can pull up without locking the rear tyre :)

PS

This procedure has recently saved me having an accident and possibly my life when a car driver pulled in front of me on a turn even though I had right-of-way. Luckily I suspected the idiot would do it and had throttled down !!

Reactions: Geo Smith
1 - 4 of 4 Posts