Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 SV650S has developed a very mysterious throttle issue, I'm hoping someone here can identify the culprit.

In the morning I go out, start her up, and accelerate down the street to a stop sign about 100 yards down. Smooth acceleration, no issues. However, when I twist the throttle after that first full stop, nothing happens for approximately 1-2 seconds. THEN the gas kicks in and she runs like normal for the rest of the day.

This happens no matter the temperature, rain or shine, full tank and empty. Distance traveled during the first acceleration also doesn't seem to matter, although I haven't been able to test that thoroughly.

Only thing I can figure is that the fuel system is somehow partially losing prime overnight, getting a bubble in the lines. I want a second opinion, though.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I don't think your problem has anything to do with line pressure. Once the bike is off, there is no pressure from the pressure regulator or fuel pump. That noise you hear upon start up is not the fuel pump but rather the pressure regulator. Does your fast idle kick in when starting cold? Maybe your idle speed control valve needs to be reset. I don't know much about 2nd gens or your year, someone else has posted with a '07 with problems with his fast idle not working. Perhaps the motor just isn't warm enough and produces this slight hiccup. Since this is new, something must be out of sorts to produce this symptom. Harder to pinpoint a problem that goes away.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm by no means experienced and am interested in what those who are knowledgeable have to say...but my first instinct would be changing out the fuel filter and start ruling issues out there. When was the last time that was changed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been around here for about two years now, same time as I've had the bike. I'm just a natural lurker, I suppose. :p

It isn't throttle play, I can give it a full twist and still get nothing. Fuel filter might be aorth a check, that'll go on my to-do list.

As for warming the bike up for a few minutes, that actually seems to work. I'm not ready to write it off for good, though, because I've never had an issue with that before.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
The fuel filters are hideously expensive....http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/228950 GULP!! So.....most don't worry about trying to change them. Nice thought though Sue!:) The screen feeding the pump/filter IS a good thing to check now and then for debris...but that isn't the problem here I'm pretty sure.

Some engines will get into 'no mans land' when they are partially warmed up. They are off the cold start enrichment, yet haven't made it all the way to the fully warmed map. This might be a symptom of something like this.

Of course, when having ANY kind of driveability problem, you should start with the basics and work your way to difficult. Is the tune-up fresh? (spark plugs, TB synch, valve adjustment ect.) If any of those things is due (or tardy..for shame! Kidding:)) please make them right so they can be crossed off the list.

This problem could actually be a slight vacuum leak. The caps over the synching nipples tend to crack and leak with age. Also check the TB mounting manifolds for being tight as they tend to loosen up too.

Can't think of any other easy things right now. Once we know all the basic stuff is up to par, if the problem still exists we'll dig in deeper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts