Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My place.

10am until I toss you guys out.

Pick one of the following and tell me you're bringing it. I have a grill. I'll update the list as it gets filled.

10# bag of charcoal briquettes andrewluke
hot dogs/buns
hamburgers/buns
cans/bottles soda xecution819
sides (chips/potato salad/etc)
any thing else you can think of (I'll add if you write it)

I have the tools needed for just about anything SV related. I have a brake bleeder for the spring flushing. Bring your own fluid.

I have tire changing equipment if needed. Wally--bring your balancer!

Anything else?

Attendees list:

J-Dog
xecution819
bhaninjo
nk02442
LaxBuddy -- maybe
andrewluke
Infinit_e
MrDan
sushiplease
Geekmo -- maybe
jeff721
ben -- maybe

·
Registered
675 Posts
**** i will be just back in the states and still have to do my out processing for deployment...CRAP!!!

lets move it to the 21st...lol

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
I. Still.
Have.
Wally's.
Springs.
STILL.

:p

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Do you have the tools for a chain/sprocket swap? Chain breaker blah blah blah? 2 hours is swingable I think... Need beer?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
In. Need oil change. Maybe brake fluids.

Also, bringing hot dogs.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Well I've ordered my parts, if they come in by Friday then I'm in. I'll get whatever beverages you want, (assuming I'm coming), so soda or is there some other refreshment that would be appreciated?

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
New riders welcome too? Would a valve check be too difficult? I can bring whatever you need.
New folks are always welcome.

However, to do a proper valve check, I believe that the engine has to be like 8 hours cold or something. You won't get an accurate reading if you check the valves right after running the engine.

Brad can probably explain that better than me.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, ANY riders from the area are welcome. Hell, last year we had a rider (Domiken?) ride down from NY and a guy who was doing a round-the-country ride from Cali showed up. I think we changed his tires or a chain or something that day, saving him a few hundred bucks.

The valve check is easy, just time consuming because you have to pull quite a bit of the bike apart. AND it has to sit for 12 hours PRIOR to doing the measuring as the specs take into account metal expansion when the engine is hot.

If you can find a way to drop the bike off over night and then come back we can do it. If you need shims, I have two boxes of them--just give me $15 to cover them (one or all four, same price) and you can use them. Even if only one is out, we'd change as many as needed to put them all back in the middle of the spec range.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, ANY riders from the area are welcome. Hell, last year we had a rider (Domiken?) ride down from NY and a guy who was doing a round-the-country ride from Cali showed up. I think we changed his tires or a chain or something that day, saving him a few hundred bucks.

The valve check is easy, just time consuming because you have to pull quite a bit of the bike apart. AND it has to sit for 12 hours PRIOR to doing the measuring as the specs take into account metal expansion when the engine is hot.

If you can find a way to drop the bike off over night and then come back we can do it. If you need shims, I have two boxes of them--just give me $15 to cover them (one or all four, same price) and you can use them. Even if only one is out, we'd change as many as needed to put them all back in the middle of the spec range.
I was planning on just towing it down in the back of my truck. No need to start it. Its a new bike so I would also like to do fluid changes just to start fresh. Is there a list of what fluids I will need and what quanity to buy? My chain is loose too. Should I just buy a new chain/sprocket or tighten it up?

This site is really awsome. I already see I am going to be owing more than a few cases of beer and wiskey.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it's a new bike, don't bother with checking the valve clearances--they aren't due until 17k. A bottle of brake fluid will be sufficient (I forget which DOT--look on the MC cover). 4 qts of 10w-40 oil; Rotella dino oil is a favorite and cheap at Wal Mart.

Is it a new bike or used and new to you? Miles on it?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I need to do an oil change on the wifes Ninja 650 but it will likely be done before then. Hopefully, I will have my new bike by then but it depends how much the insurance company drags their feet. The wife has her MS walk that day so I wont have anything else to do but I still have these sinking feeling JBS might punch me when I show up at his house lol

1 - 20 of 253 Posts